A world without money

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Thethirdbenjamin, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Thethirdbenjamin

Thethirdbenjamin Member

Last thursday while i was at the back withdrawing my pay check from my part time job.

I thought what whould the world be like if there wasn't any money what if the method of curency was still via the barter system, example all trade two bags of corn for one basket of apples.

If there was no money whould there still be greed in the world??? maybe there whould be but not as much right.

and the wealth whould be a lot more evenly dispruted whouldn't it???

just a random thought

2. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

There always has been one form of currency or another, whether it was a dead mammoth leg to eat for a late dinner, some good flint to make arrowheads, some maidens to trade, ...and along with these things has always been greed and a ¨big man¨who runs the show..

3. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

well as long as you can produce everything you need, money aint needed in yer life. can you do that, I know I cant. many can, but not me.

4. seamonster66

I´m not sure there is room for every single person to get all of their own resources. Just think, the world has doubled in population just in our lifetimes...that type of growth wasn´t possible before kroger, safeway,food lion, piggly wiggly, ralphs, QFC, Vons, A&P, giant eagle, albertsons

5. HerbuhLovuh

HerbuhLovuh raa

The world can't even really support itself at all, LoL. I know, lets go to war somewhere to distract everyone....

6. NaykidApe

NaykidApe Bomb the Ban

Yes but dumpster diving wasn't possible before kroger, safeway, food lion.....

Just like primitive man could be dumped into any wilderness (with nothing) and provide for himself I'm very proad of the fact that I could be dumped in the middle of any city or town in america (with nothing) and meet all my needs and walk out with enough $$$ to go to any other city or town in america....

7. seamonster66

Thats true Naykid, I´d imagine if everything collapsed there would be a time period where you could live on the ruins....sounds romantic in a way. I guess there are more cracks to search through in places like North America and Europe than say Sub-Saharan Africa where resources aren´t brought in from around the world.

8. NaykidApe

NaykidApe Bomb the Ban

Man! I've had sooo many fantasies along these lines. Ever see the original "Dawn of the Dead" where the survivors of a plague of zombies take up residence in a shopping mall?

9. seamonster66

yea, I remember that. i always daydreamed about walking around the earth after its deserted. I saw a lot of bad apartment complexs and sprawl being made growing up and always pictured walking around in them after there weren´t any people. I´m sure at some point that will happen, all these decaying suburban places.

Even if it got to that point there would still be greed and power..think of road warrior ;)

10. joe

joe Banned

ive seen it,....but everyone died, not much of a fantasy

11. NaykidApe

NaykidApe Bomb the Ban

In the original version a cpl ppl made it. I brought up the original cuz for awhile the ppl in the mall were living it up, had access to pretty much anything they wanted whenever. Consumerism paradise.

12. themnax

themnax Senior Member

always comming home - ursula kroeber-leGuinne

also deep ecology institute and links from there. nonmonetary economies have existed, can and likely will, though in very defferent forms then currently immagined. nor procustian. nor dominance of force. true consensus of the tradeoff between howmuch infrastructure to maintain how much comfort zone vs how much effor to put in to it.
    --
    you may ask what incentive besides fear can drive the engine of a nonmonitary economy. one answer is ego boo. if you look at what is the real emotional bottem line that people make the tradeoff of attatching themselves to arbitrary beliefs and ideologies, what do they hope to gain by it, well being loved and appreaciated. that may ultimately be more of a bottem line then hardly anyone currently realizes or even immagines.
    --
    that's why austentation is so backward headed, and why potlatching can, has, does and will work, even in very different, non-oil based high tec context, the reality most of you will live to see and even some of us not so young'ns even might. i know that might sound a little strainge, but it's not THAT hard to immagine a world in which it working. there's no absolutely one only way. each world ultimately finds its own way to the maturing of civilization, (civilization in the special way i'm using it, the mellowing out abscence of the dominance of tyranny). this is the growing up of sentient species and their worlds. ours will. but it is really up to clearifying our understanding.

13. -GOD-

-GOD- Banned

"A world without money"

BLASPHEMY!

Even I gotta have some of it.

Whadya think I fuel my car on?

Charity is nice but after a while people just avoid you.

At first I'd tell people that they'll have a place next to me, they'd feast with Jesus, I'd give a bonus miracle, et al...

After a while though, my creditors got tired of it.

Things started to go to hell up here.

So, yeah, I can be cheap at times - I've cut the holy bread expenses in half and the wine is dilluted too.

Things look a little more heavenly now.