A Survey; Do you obey the five precepts?

Discussion in 'Buddhism' started by Dude111, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

1. Do not kill(anything)

2. Do not Steal.

3. Do not lie or gossip.

4. Do not engage in sexual misconduct.

5. Do not use alcohol or psychotropic chemicals.

1) I do not like to kill anything..... Sometimes Mosqitos make it difficult however but I really try not to....

2) I must admit I used to do this sometimes but not anymore..... I love the world (@ least what it was before the 80s) I am very grateful for what I have.....

3) I try not to do this......

4) I try not to.....

5) I do not in anyway do this!! (I hate the taste of it)

Ajay0 likes this.
  2. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Cheers Glen.

Running Horse likes this.
  3. Dude111

Ah man Glen!!

4. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

1. I would never kill anyone unless it was in self-defense. I’ve gone hunting and few times and fishing dozens of times.

2. The idea of taking something that doesn’t belong to me would never even cross my mind.

3. Like most adults I occasionally lie but I try to minimize them, gossip is incessant at work

4. I’ve never cheated on any of my girlfriends

5. I drink alcohol (mostly beer) but I would never smoke pot (even though it’s legal) and I would certainly never take any type of hallucinogenics
    or any other type of illegal drugs.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    GLENGLEN likes this.
  5. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Hotwater is practically a saint

6. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks but don’t canonize me quite yet, at 43 I figure I have at least another 40 years ahead of me and who knows
    I could become in league with the devil

7. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

1: Do my best not to. Accidentally killed a cockroach in my pants two days ago by scratching but that's it in recent memory.

2: Used to all the time, had a problem for sure. Not anymore.

3: Do my best to never do either one.

4: Umm don't think so. What exactly is considered sexual misconduct?

5: Fall very short here. Been a psychedelic toker for many a year.....

8. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Wait, you were scratching your pants, and there was a cockroach in them, unbeknownst to you, and you scratched so hard that you crushed it against your bare skin?

9. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

Yup

10. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Wow. That is pretty damn horrifying.

Running Horse likes this.
  11. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

no, none, i'm still better buddhist than most stupid motherfuckers cause i'm inner honest

Dude111 likes this.
  12. themnax

themnax Senior Member

1> i do eat meat. i've been cutting back. not convinced it would be the best thing for humans to eat none.
    (never physically killed anything i didn't intend to eat, though i may have contributed to depression in persons who refused to avoid robbing my solitude,
    and subsequently died of negligence their depression may have contributed to. they DID always have the option of developing a conscience instead though)

4> i don't go out of my way looking for opportunity. what constitutes this is a matter largely of personal perception.
    (the human population of the planet IS excessive, there are several alternative solutions to avoid contributing to this problem)

5> i have no attraction to mind altering substances.
    when i was young i had curiosity. this curiosity i satisfied many decades ago, without developing any dependencies in that direction.

2> i accept gifts from governments, thereby permitting them to justify their existence.
    but hording something someone else could create or explore with, just that hang it on your wall for ostentation,
    i consider that as much or more a form of stealing, as helping yourself to a locked warehouse.

3> i'm on hip forums. is there something else we do here?
    i do try to avoid being unfair to anyone, but if they put themselves in the public eye by running for political office,
    and their actions inflict upon the lives of nearly everyone, including myself, as long as its not a complete fabrication,
    not only are they fair game, but need to be. especially if they are rude, inconsiderate and display a lack of common decency.

it may be possible to violate none of these. but a person claiming never to, without being asked, at the very least, i have to question their humility, if not outright their truthfulness.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  13. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

1-4 yes and I am one of those Buddhists who debates what an "intoxicant" is. Like does that mean alcohol which can lead to violence and addiction? Or does it also include like mushrooms which might aid my path to enlightenment if used in small doses. Some say Buddha also used cannabis to meditate.

Think what drugs existed in the time of Buddha and what drugs he did not know. A good Buddhist always questions.

Drugs are a shortcut to enlightenment but you need some personal disapline to remain in that state of mind in my opinion.

14. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I would never kill an animal, but I have had to deal with vermin and cockroach infestations in London theaters.

I would never steal.

While I never lie, I have withheld the truth a few times in consideration of other peoples feelings. The worst case was not wanting to risk the recovery of a seriously injured woman by telling her that her son was dead.

I have never been involved in sexual misconduct.

I drink a glass or two of wine with dinner a few times a week and the odd glass of spirits occasionally, but never to excess and I have never been involved with drugs.

15. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

16. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

1. Do not kill(anything)
    Impossible. We all kill millions of organisms everyday we live, and while I have never killed an animal and avoid killing insects, I will kill a mosquito if it attacks me, and I do eat meat from animals that others have killed'
    2. Do not Steal.
    Not unless it's a huge corporation that keeps raising my cable bill and giving me shittier things to watch.
    3. Do not lie or gossip.
    Only to my wife about whether I dusted the downstairs family room with Endust or just waved the rag around.
    I don't gossip as no one listens to me.
    4. Do not engage in sexual misconduct.
    Unfortunately, I don't do that.
    5. Do not use alcohol or psychotropic chemicals.
    Well........I don't want to break the 3rd one........

17. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

the actual precept is to not take intoxicants which lead to unconsciousness

18. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

What does it mean to be inner honest?

How do you know you've got it?

What's good about it?

What makes it better than following five precepts?

19. Visexual

Visexual Member

1. I don't want to kill anything but I do eat meat.
    2. I don't need to steal but understand that there are homeless/jobless who do it out of necessity.
    3. I do embellish and have spread unproven rumors before.
    4. Define sexual misconduct? I try not to do anything that hurts someone else but if it's pleasurable for all involved, how can it be misconduct?
    5. I remember enjoying pot. It's been 30 years but, if it becomes legal in Florida, I'm back. And I love my alcohol. It's about the only pleasure left for me.

20. Dude111

I think its hard for most to follow all 5