A reminder to go and stay veg!

Discussion in 'So you want to be a Vegetarian?' started by irisaura, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Fluxus

Fluxus Guest

Vegetarians do as much good as someone who is lactose-intolerant. Go Vegan and stop supporting dairy, egg, leather, etc which are just as cruel and inseparable from the "meat" industry.

2. Fluxus

Fluxus Guest

Sentience is what we are opposed to harming. Humans are animals, is there nothing inherently amoral about eating them?

3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I disagree, there doesn't have to be anything cruel about eating eggs, using milk and skinning a dead cow and use it's skin.

He obviously is talking nonsense. Almost anything can be made in a moral question, it depends on the person if you find these things morally questionable or not (since morals are not absolute).

4. irisaura

irisaura Member

You cannot compare a plant to an animal! Plants are living organisms, but they do not have nervous systems. Since the beginning of all life plants have provided us with our needs and they have also evolved naturally in ways that are more appealing to animals. It's pretty interesting to read about. I'm sure there are people who try to not eat plants, but the fruits/nuts which they give instead. I don't know if that's healthy :p But anything without a brain cannot "feel" the same sensations as we do and all other animals on this earth. I think ALL animals are unique and important to their environments in their own ways, not simply cute. They are very similar to us, I mean we are animals! If you truly were an advocate against plant genocide, lol, cows need to eat 16 pounds of plant material in order to convert it into 1 pound of flesh. Think about it. More plants would be 'saved' if we ate plants directly instead of funneling them through animals.

You're basically comparing shooting a bullet through a tree to shooting a bullet through a piglet and watching them scream in their own blood. Do you agree that is the same? I agree life as a whole would not continue on without death but when we have brains and can rationalize that murdering a human is wrong why is oppressing/abusing/slaughtering billions of other life acceptable? If we don't realize this, it gives a shitty excuse for this way of thinking (and the industry) to still continue.

5. Ranger

Ranger Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

And just because plants don't have visable eyes dosn't mean theyaren't 'alive and understanding" etc. Read "Secret Life of Plants" and then tell me how sporting it is to sneak up on a carrot and chop it's head off......

6. irisaura

irisaura Member

I'm vegan too for these reasons but I disagree, vegetarianism isn't simply that. Vegans have flaws, we still eat and buy things that have probably killed or hurt another animal in the process, like industrial agriculture, palm oil etc. But cutting meat out of your life completely, regardless of it being a diet, lifestyle or religious choice whateva, it's still a really good thing!:)

7. irisaura

irisaura Member

Poor carrot we ate all his friends D: hehe.. from a plant's 'eye' view, i'm actually interested in reading that. I'm well aware that plants are alive, just being surrounded in nature. their auras are very different from animals though and they lack nervous systems

8. Ranger

Read the book then tell me they are unaware. One noteworthy experiment was when they hooked the plants to the equivelent of lie decters and with plants in two different rooms they had someone enter one room and tear the plant there to pieces then go into the next room and the plant there freaked and maxed out the meters....Read the book he gives much more detail.

9. MamaPeace

MamaPeace Senior Member

So seeing as we are (as far as I know) the only creatures to use weapons then all the animals that cant defend themselves from us = food. Is that what you mean?

We are the most unnatural hunters. We don't use our bodies like everyother creature. We have to build weapons, and god forbid an animal fights back because we would just stand there and shoot them. We have flat nails, not claws. Our teeth could no way rip through the skin and flesh of a freshly killed animal, can you imagine trying to kill a cow with your bare hands and then eating it as it is there and then? I know a lot of this is to do with 'modern society', we've become lazy and no longer need to hunt but thats just one more reason to my descision to not eat meat - unless I can go out & kill an animal myself then I'd eat it, but I know I couldn't which makes me a herbivore

10. slurpie

slurpie Member

With respect to your strongly held opinions, I must disagree. "Natural" is a meaningless term. We are as much a product of our environment and evolution as a cow is, and our behaviors are as informed by genetic history as any of the higher apes. We are not the only species to use tools, or even weapons (see this article.) We just evolved the most advanced ability to build tools and weapons.

Not every animal is food, by the way. Just the ones that taste good.

11. MamaPeace

MamaPeace Senior Member

I think we wrongly abuse our 'power'...we might not be the only spieces that use tools but we are the only spieces that builds mechanical slaughter houses and literally breed, torture then slaughter our 'prey'.

Infact, we cant even call them prey because we are way past that now.

12. slurpie

slurpie Member

You can think whatever you want. The fact remains that "unnatural" is a meaningless word in this context. Nature is under no obligation to make sense to anyone, much less a narrow kind of sense espoused by people with weird ideas about what's okay to eat and what isn't.

13. MamaPeace

MamaPeace Senior Member

You can think vegetarianism and veganism is weird, that's fine..
    But I don't understand how the word unnatural can't be used, because the way meat is eaten nowadays is extremely unnatural.
    Nature makes complete sense to those who are a part of it, obviously those who see themselves as a superior being separate from nature can never truly understand it. But that's what 'being human' is all about, right?

14. windy

windy Member

A friend of mine told me that he used to drive truck that delivered cattle to a slaughter house. He said that 4-5 miles from the slaughter house the cattle in the back of his truck would go crazy...they knew. Couldn't eat meat after that.

I'm sure everyone has heard about the massive recall of meat from the XL meat plant. I saw a picture of the plant on the net and right beside the plant was a pasture full of cattle. It made me feel ill to see that. Made me think of the movie Soylent Green for some reason.....blah!

15. foresting

foresting Member

It's not 'narrow' to dislike and not want to participate in the killing of innocent creatures to serve your tastebuds alone. Lol.

16. Ranger

What's 'narrow' is the cold disregard shown the feelings and lives of plants slain/picked solely for your personal 'iucky charms'. lol

17. Shivaya

Shivaya Y'a rien de trop beau pour la classe ouvrière.

When you look at meat, you see dead flesh.
    When I see dead flesh, I see a delicious meal, just like all other omnivores/carnivores. We are part of nature. Eating meat is natural.

18. storch

storch banned

Basically, the whole experience of having to kill the animal, drain its blood, peel its skin from its body, etc., etc., is enough of a turn-off for me to find my protein elsewhere.

19. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I think that is one of the most essential things were meateaters went off the 'natural' path. Most meateaters will never prepare their meat theirselves if they had to.
    This does not make eating meat unnatural of course but it does make most meateaters awfully hypocritical. I am aware I'm glad too I don't have to (or even can/are allowed to) butcher all my meat myself which is a large part of the reason why I cut back on eating meat. That and the fact most animals of which the meat comes from are living in bad conditions. I don't need as much protein etc. as the average westerner consumes anyway and it's healthy (and tastier too in my opinion) to consume in moderation.

20. storch

storch banned

Well, alright, but you really run the risk of being reincarnated as a slaughterhouse pig. That's right. But I don't think you have anything to worry about; if you ate meat in moderation in this life, you'll be slaughtered in moderation in the next. Not only that, but the reincarnation thing may well turn out to be . . . less than fatual.

Please know that I am not kidding.