a really good salad!

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by kitty fabulous, May 31, 2004.

1. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

what do you put in a really good salad?

i never really ate salads until i purchased a share in community supported agriculture and soon discovered that, especially in the spring, a good portion of the harvest was salad greens. sunday's share inclued red leaf lettuce, radishes, garlic greens, and green onions. i grated in a little carrot and tossed the whole thing with a homemade cultured soy "yogurt"-dill dressing and sprinkled on some sesame wheat sticks...mmmmmmmm! so good!

2. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i'd say the main thing that makes a salid good is lots of different kinds of veggies. a so called salid that is nothing but a couple of kinds of lettuce with some kind of dressing on it may taste ok but is basicly phoney crap. a real salid has all kinds of things in it, tomatoes, shroomies, maybe cheese, pasta, even some kind of meat if you're into that kind of thing. i don't think i'd call any kind of salid 'bad', just the ones that don't have much varity of different stuff in them are just, well pathetic.

3. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

The finest salad that I know of is a Fench creation known as salade niçoise. No two people make it the same way. Mine is made with spinach, Bermuda onion, black olives, canned tuna, tomato, red pepper, hard boiled egg, chick peas, boiled potatoes, salt and pepper, mayo, oil and vinegar. You can add to it or remove things you don't much care for. When I make it, it usually lasts about a week.

4. mick_jagger_is_so_hi

mick_jagger_is_so_hi Member

Salads are SO yum!!! I love lettuce, avocado, capsicum, cucumber and a really nice dressing in mine. :)

5. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

my hubby makes some really good salads. he does these spiced sunflower seeds and puts them on top of the salads while the seeds are still hot. it's sooo yummy.

6. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

I love greek salad, that has to be my favourite...

7. -GOD-

-GOD- Banned

Salad is how I made humans to be fed on.

JUST DON'T FUCKEN TOUCH MY APPLES.

Other than that, fish can be acceptable.

I just don't really enjoy when you race blast a little Bambi to kingdom come with a cut 22. caliber.

8. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

yumm... I like to use spinach and add almonds and cranberries...they have it in a bag now :( they stole it from me, lol

9. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

i hate bagged salads. they scare me!

once i was at a denny's and i ordered a salad. it had been bagged, and was old, and there was a disgusting, slimy gray rotted lettuce leaf right in the middle of it. we complained, and they were just like, oh, sorry, but what do you want? we wrote to headquarters and complained. that denny's was eventually shut down, for lots of other reasons. it was pretty horrible.

but i can't eat salads at restaraunts anymore, unless they're like the fresh mesclun salad i get at the atmoic eggplant, where i know the cook, and where she gets the greens. most of the salads at so many restaraunts are bagged. ugh!