A question for you Brits

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Oklahoma, May 17, 2004.

1. Oklahoma

Oklahoma Member

Do you consider yourself European? Also, what is the difference between "English" and "British"?

2. migle

migle Senior Member

Can I answer, can I answer???
    Although I'm not Brittish, I know that Brittish means to be from any of the that form Great Britain, and they are England, Scorland, Northern Ireland, Wales, and I don't know if I'm forgetting soem more, because I can't remember if they still own some more places around the world as colonys, you know they were the Imperium before the USA came to be the new an actual Imperium.

3. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

Great Britain actually consists of England, Wales and Scotland. The United Kingdom consists of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Confused yet? ;)

I consider myself an individual or a citizen of the world. I don't consider myself European, British or English. Nationalism is a hock o' shite, regardless of how wide you cast the net.

4. PinkMoon

PinkMoon Senior Member

i would consider myself european over british any day...
    british for me conjours up images of the british national party.. it shouldn't but unfourtunetely it does...
    however i dont think this is the average opinion..aparently more than a thirds of young british people dont feel close to europe..

5. moominmamma

moominmamma Member

When I think of myself, I don't really identify with any nationality. I find it hard to identify with nationalistic feelings, you know when you see people kissing their flag and weeping,it has always sort of mystified me.

6. marisco

marisco Member

English not European. It`s not being nationalistic to feel this way, just sense of place and love of home. Nations should be different, that`s what makes the world and its people interesting. Europe is a wonderful place and in my opinion the way things are going France could possibly end up being the last remaining civilised country on earth, but home is where the heart is.

7. chickabean

chickabean Senior Member

i calll myself cornish even tho im english and british and european :p i was born n brought up in cornwall and love it to bits so i call myself cornish simply because of that love...and also i feel like cornwall is dying out which is very sad...

i agree with the above post that even tho i love europe and love being a european i think there is so much beauty in the individuality of the countries withihnj europe that each person should feel a sort of pride to call themselves britsish or french or whatever...

...although...come to think of it...i find it much easier to be proud to say i come from cornwall than to say i come from britain :)

8. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Hey Chickabean, what a nice face you have. How come you are not in Hollywood?