A question for Americans...

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Spuff, May 18, 2004.

1. Spuff

Spuff Where's my ciggies?

Do any Americans here know the difference between northern and southern British accents? Being northern, I get quite offended that the likes of Hollywood and other US media don't know that there is a difference.

2. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

I do, I've been to the UK and know that thee are many different accents within even a small area.

3. booshnoogs

booshnoogs loves you

Nope. Based on most U.S. made movies, we think that all Europeans and Australians sound British.

4. bejjy

bejjy Banned

who cares

wtf...i tried to type "who cares"
    but this communist message came up saying i have to type at least ten characters....jeez...wtf...man...now they are telling us how much we have to say.

5. MrDefiant

MrDefiant Member

Britian isnt big enough to have 2 accents

you are a liar

6. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

I know not all Brits have the same accent. For instance, I can tell a person from Manchester speaks a bit differently than someone from Liverpool. But as far as what the distinct difference is, I'm not sure. And, as someone stated before, it varies even within a small area or a single town or city.

Most Americans are very ingnorant when it comes to intercultural affairs. Sad to say, but it's the truth. And unless you open your mind and take the initiative to learn about other cultures on your own, you will never learn anything other than what the mainstream, Anglo-ethnocentric, American media display in their messages.

7. Juggalo4ever

Juggalo4ever KingoftheChubbyGirls

I thought all of Europe sounded something like Austin Powers. I honestly don't care enough to know otherwise.

8. Samhain

Samhain Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

hear hear!

am i allowed to post on here seeing as i'm from the uk. i'm northern by birth but now i live in brighton by the sea and you don't get much more southern than that.
    american films actually have two british accents. the i'm sucking a plum one and the london one.
    it doesn't offend me it makes me giggle i expect we're just as bad with american accents in our tv and films.

on another note, people have been crying out for interesting posts on here saying they're bored and when we get one that actually have has a topic we get people posting things like 'who cares'
    make your mind up folks

s

9. seamonster66

I liked some of the accents in the midlands, like in Staffordshire, Manchester, etc.

10. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

Oh, I know! Here's an interesting thread...where are all the sighs of relief? LOL

Anyway, I hear you Samhain. :) It's okay though. There are other countries who think all Americans are uneducated, racist, redneck hillbillies who sleep with their relatives.

Of course, there are those who fit that description perfectly.

11. Spuff

Well, I find it to be quite ignorant that people in the UK can tell the difference in regional accents of Americans, yet it doesn't seem to work the other way round. But I find it amusing that a lot of people in America seem to think that we either speak like Austin Powers or the queen ... oh, please!! lol

12. MrDefiant

MrDefiant Member

ok spuff, the northwest, how do we talk?
    hmm? like Canadians? like the east coast? like the west coast? the south?
    come on now, tell me the answer, and if you get it wrong, you are a fool and have to leave instantly

13. seamonster66

Quote: ok spuff, the northwest, how do we talk?
    Kind of like sissy elitist very white whiners ;)

14. Spuff

If you can tell me how I can type with an accent, I'd prove my point.

15. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

I feel your frustration, Spuff...and I'm American!

I WANT to learn the difference between all the accents, just for my own purposes. It never hurts to be educated. :) Are people in the UK exposed to American accents more in their media? Maybe that has something to do with it. Because here, we don't hear British accents all that often in our media.

On another note, notice how some Americans think ALL Europeans are British? That's even been shown in this thread. Sad... [​IMG]

16. Samhain

go jerry

s

17. MrDefiant

MrDefiant Member

no, I talk like people from the west coast and dont pay attention to many of the others

18. Samhain

my friend got asked if she knew the queen when she visited america

s

19. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

FROM WHAT I GATHER FROM MY GUESTS OVER THE YEARS FROM THE UK,,,ITS NOT JUST NORTH AN SOUTH,, ITS BURROWS AND REGIONS THAT THE ACCENT DIFFERRS...:D ;)

AN NO I HAVENT A CLUE WHOS FROM WHERE......:p

20. Spuff

Because so much of media shown in Britain is American (mainly because of Hollywood etc), you get to know regional accents in America. I could quite easily distinguish someone who's from New York from someone from Dallas or Atlanta.

I'm not saying there aren't ignorant people in the UK but it seems like an overwhelming amount of Americans are oblivious/ignorant to cultural differences.