A miracle that happens millions of time each day

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by inthelibrary, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

A miracle that happens millions of times each day? Breath i.e. existence itself.

guerillabedlam likes this.
  2. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I need a woman 'bout twice my age
    A lady of nobility, gentility and rage
    A splendour in the dark, lightning on the draw
    Who'll go right through the book and break each and every law

I got a feelin'
    And it won't go away, oh no
    Just one thing and I'll be OK
    I need a miracle every day

I need a woman 'bout twice my height
    Statuesque, raven-tressed, a goddess of the night
    A secret incantation, candle burning blue
    We'll consult the spirits, maybe they'll know what to do

And it's real
    And it won't go away, oh no
    Can't get around and I can't run away

I need a woman 'bout twice my weight
    A ton of fun who packs a gun with all that other freight
    Find her in a side-show, leave her in LA
    Ride her like a surfer riding on a tidal wave

And it's real
    Believe what I say
    Just one thing that I gotta say
    I need a miracle very day

It takes dynamite to get me up
    Too much of everything is just enough
    One more thing that I gotta say

Running Horse likes this.
  3. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

Muslims pray 5 times a day, and sometimes just before blowing themselves up into innocent people.

God's little miracle workers.

GLENGLEN likes this.
  4. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Ah, Yes. The Grateful Dead, "Shakedown Street", wasn't it? How appropriate for Hip Forums. Have you heard the song by the same title by the Christian rock group Third Day?
    Well, late one night, she started to cry and thought, "He ain't coming home"
    She was tired of the lies, tired of the fight, but she didn't want to see him go
    She fell on her knees and said, "I haven't prayed since I was young
    But Lord above, I need a miracle"

[CHORUS]Well no matter who you are and no matter what you've done
    There will come a time when you can't make it on your own
    And in your hour of desperation
    Know you're not the only one
    Prayin', "lord above, I need a miracle
    I need a miracle"

He lost his job and all he had in the fall of '09
    Now he feared the worst, that he would lose his children and his wife
    So he drove down deep into the woods and thought he'd end it all
    And prayed, "Lord above, I need a miracle"
    [CHORUS]
    He turned on the radio to hear a song for the last time
    He didn't know what he was looking for, or even what he'd find
    The song he heard gave him hope and strength to carry on
    And on that night they found a miracle
    They found a miracle

5. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

“But I think the real miracle is not to walk either on water or in thin air, but to walk on earth. Every day we are engaged in a miracle which we don’t even recognize. A blue sky, white clouds, green leaves, the black curious eyes of a child, our own two eyes. All is a miracle.” Thich Nhat Hanh 10 Everyday Miracles

6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I prayed… I don’t know what I really prayed. I didn’t know a lot about any of that I was more focusing on the personal connection with me, it was just so beautiful and it was like, it was really emotional; my tears were like a joy of peace if felt like this big, huge load that lifted off my shoulders like a wave. And I was real happy, I was crying but I was crying because I was so happy.

And I can tell you one thing. There was a peace that came over me like I had never known. I had searched for that peace, I had searched for it in bottles, alcohol, I searched for it in needles, I searched for it in drugs, I searched for with women, I searched for it in all types of places but there was no peace in my life. But once I accepted Oden as my savior I was no longer afraid.

7. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Dude you need to read the book The Christ Conspiracy it was a real eye-opener

8. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

By S. Acharya? Not an eye opener but a wool puller over the eyeser. For a critical assessment by a reputable scholar (and agnostic) see Bart Ehrman's Did Jesus Exist? pp. 21-25:

"Mythicists of [Acharya’s] ilk should not be surprised that their views are not taken seriously by real scholars…The book is filled with so many factual errors and outlandish assertions that it is hard to believe that the author is serious. If she is serious, it is hard to believe that she has ever encountered anything resembling historical scholarship. Her “research” appears to have involved reading a number of non-scholarly books that say the same thing she is about to say and then quoting them…One cannot help but wondering if [her arguments are] all a spoof done in good humor… Later we will see that all of Acharya’s major points are in fact wrong. Jesus was not invented in Alexandria, Egypt, in the middle of the second Christian century. He was known already in the 30s of the first century, in Jewish circles of Palestine.

(Her howlers):

The second-century church father Justin never quotes or mentions any of the Gospels (25). [This simply isn’t true: he mentions the Gospels on numerous occasions; typically he calls them “Memoirs of the Apostles” and quotes from them, especially from Matthew, Mark, and Luke.]
    The Gospels were forged hundreds of years after the events they narrate (26). [In fact, the Gospels were written at the end of the first century, about thirty-five to sixty-five years after Jesus’s death, and we have physical proof: one fragment of a Gospel manuscript dates to the early second century. How could it have been forged centuries after that?]
    We have no manuscript of the New Testament that dates prior to the fourth century (26). [This is just plain wrong: we have numerous fragmentary manuscripts that date from the second and third centuries.]
    The autographs “were destroyed after the Council of Nicaea” (26). [In point of fact, we have no knowledge of what happened to the original copies of the New Testament; they were probably simply used so much they wore out. There is not a scintilla of evidence to suggest that they survived until Nicaea or that they were destroyed afterward; plenty of counterevidence indicates they did not survive until Nicaea.]
    “It took well over a thousand years to canonize the New Testament,” and “many councils” were needed to differentiate the inspired from the spurious books (31). [Actually, the first author to list our canon of the New Testament was the church father Athanasius in the year 367 the comment about “many councils” is simply made up.]
    Paul never quotes a saying of Jesus (33). [Acharya has evidently never read the writings of Paul. As we will see, he does quote saying of Jesus.]
    The Acts of Pilate, a legendary account of Jesus’ trial and execution, was once considered canonical (44). [None of our sparse references to the Acts of Pilate indicates, or even suggests, any such thing.]
    The “true meaning of the word gospel is ‘God’s Spell,’ as in magic, hypnosis and delusion” (45). [No, the word gospel comes to us from the Old English term god spel, which means ”good news”—a fairly precise translation of the Greek word euaggelion. It has nothing to do with magic.]
    The church father “Irenaeus was a Gnostic” (60). [In fact, he was one of the most virulent opponents of Gnostics in the early church.]
    ·Augustine was “originally a Mandaean, i.e., a Gnostic, until after the Council of Nicaea” (60). [Augustine was not even born until nineteen years after the Council of Nicaea, and he certainly was no Gnostic.]
    “'Peter’ is not only ‘the rock’ but also the cock,’ or [phallus--keep'n it medically esoteric for the children], as the word is used as slang to this day.”…[There is no (phallus)-nosed statue of Peter the cock in the Vatican or anywhere else except in books like this, which love to make things up.]"

Or consider these reviews from Skeptic Magazine:What’s with Acharya S. - The Skeptics Society Forum

Or these crticisms of her other works by atheist historian Richard Carrier:That Luxor Thing • Richard Carrier
    That Luxor Thing Again • Richard Carrier

In other words, in the opinion of many writers, her work sucks.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    BlackBillBlake likes this.
  9. themnax

themnax Senior Member

rather more believable would be that the story was written by essine monks, somewhere between 80 and a couple hundred years BEFORE it was supposed to have happened. and the dead sea scrolls were their corrispondence, discussing the finer points of how to tell it. there are however, several real problems with the history of christianity as taught to and believed by most christians, such as the actual charges brought against jesus to justify his exicution, or how dimascus road was not a change of agenda for a roman patriot, but a change of method and realization that overt persecution was, as it naturally does, having the opposite effect of that intended, and that sabatage from the inside, which is what the so called saint paul actually did, would and did, neutralize the threat of love and peace, to rome's military empire. which of course, did nothing to prevent abalard. or how the first mycean council recognized the epistles of saul of trasus as heretical, and were slaughtered for it. the second council 80 years or so later, the paulists stacked the deck.

10. themnax

themnax Senior Member

except that more 'christian' white supremists then islamists do the same thing. you just less often hear about it. gee, can anyone possibly guess why?

11. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

She wasn't serious scholar - just a sensationalist trying to make a buck. Shame though that she died so young.

12. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

If we're having the Grateful Dead, better have this lot too

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  13. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

My prayer to God, assuming there is such a person, is we are all but the children of God, and God help us all! The miracle that occurs every day is people reaching out to each other. A study of morality concluded that those individuals who regularly used their own two hands in service to their fellow man lived up to their moral ideals and thrived better in the long run. The every day miracle is that ours is the best of all possible worlds, if for no other reason, then because instant karma's gonna getcha baby!

14. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Do you reckon there's billions of farts everyday?
    Well there has to be even if we only let rip 3 a day that would still be 18billion farts. Haha. What a shit hole this planet is.

15. wooleeheron

Only peasants who own nothing and are easily confused and encouraged to fight among themselves, claim its a shithole. I think of more as a popsicle stand myself, that I would abandon in a heartbeat for something a bit more upscale and less lowbrow.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Still funny thinking your popsocile has all that fart on it though. :p

wooleeheron likes this.
  17. wooleeheron

You never want to take a crap in the bathroom of this popsicle stand! Calling it a shithole is just marketing to make it look remotely attractive.