A looooong time...

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Claire, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Claire

Claire Senior Member

I’ve just realised that I first stumbled upon hipforums TWENTY years ago How long have you been here?

I originally set up UK Parties and Protests on the old platform as a private forum back then.

I can’t remember all the festivals and protests we went on back then but 2003 in London stands out. I think that was the first time I met Stardust and Fleassy, correct me if my memory fails me!

The weekend at Faslane also stands out, I know that quite a few of us went back and one of us stayed there for quite a few years!

Good times,

xoxoxox

2. Claire

Claire Senior Member

Oh and Amsterdam with some hipforumers from Australia and America! Can’t believe I nearly missed that one!

Joshua Tree likes this.
  3. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to club Claire darlin'. I don't think you're old enough to have been there, but as a 8 yr old I was at the first Aldermarston march - have been a rebel all my life !!!

Joshua Tree and Claire like this.
  4. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

I briefly met Fleassy at a Confest. We sometimes communicate on social media. A beautiful soul.

hotwater and Claire like this.
  5. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

Hi Claire - (I'm -Member Since: Mar 14, 2008)
    "Who knows where the time goes?"
    I've been to a few protest rallies, though one of my faves was when I took my 18 month Granddaughter on her first (nearly 11 years now) - to Protest about Pensions (it seemed apt to do so - being her future) :)

Claire likes this.
  6. Claire

Claire Senior Member

Things have changed a lot in the last 20 years. Being a hippy had somewhat of a fashionable return around the time as I remember. It was sort of the new grunge. It’s not fashionable anymore I guess. Not bad or good just an observation.
    The left has changed a lot as well in the last twenty years. It’s become more overtly sexist. Cheering on the destruction of women’s rights.
    Vegan used to be rare, it’s now quite fashionable and vegan food can be found in mainstream shops.

There’s so many music festivals now as well. Or there was until lockdown.

Joshua Tree and WOLF ANGEL like this.
  7. Claire

Claire Senior Member

I’ve lost touch really since she moved to Aus. See her pop up on social media once in a while still though.

8. Claire

Claire Senior Member

Yes, it is her future. It’s a real worry how things are going. A lot of the things we have fought for in the past are being thrown away.
    I don’t really bother with protesting these days though. I lobby my MP directly and other things under the radar. I remember someone saying on here that they leave the protesting to the younger generation and I remember thinking that sounded shitty. But I understand now. There’s more than one way to skin a cat I guess. Feet on the street is important though.

Joshua Tree and WOLF ANGEL like this.
  9. Claire

Claire Senior Member

I had to look that up! Rather embarrassed I didn’t know the reference! Before my time, so great to hear you were there. Things like this make me wish I’d kept a diary.

10. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

Active Protesting is predominantly a Young person's game, but still where/when possible I engage and participate.
    As for 'remotely' doing so, I write, organise, attend meetings - and - support my little revolutionary (and her younger brother) as they practice their preaching of Conviction and Conscience :)

Claire likes this.
  11. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Claire darlin' - I've lost track of many of the number of protest marches and demonstration or pickets I've attended in more than sixty years !!!

Some of the more memorable ones: I was in the forefront of the battle of Grosvenor Square (A Vietnam war demonstration)

There was a huge Trade Union march in opposition to Government legislation in February 1971 which I attended and carried a huge Trade Union banner at.

More recently I attended the protest march against Bliar's involvement with the Iraqi war in 2003, and stood on the picket lines with the Junior Doctors over their battle with the Government over their contracts in 2016 and only last Thursday was I again outside our local hospital supporting the Nurses in their pay battle with the Government.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    Joshua Tree and Claire like this.
  12. Roobarb

Roobarb Banned

I have lost touch with many friends due to this Pandemic and things like our freedoms being taken away from us .
    Hopefully things are getting a little better now xxx

Claire likes this.
  13. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

Welcome back to the Hip Forums

Joshua Tree likes this.
  14. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

She says to say hello.

15. Claire

Claire Senior Member

Hello *hugs*

16. Claire

Claire Senior Member

Thanks, hi :)

Pete's Draggin' likes this.
  17. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

HI Clare, I joined in November 2004 as razy, then became Joshua Tree in 2008. I've been on a few anti-fascist marches, climate change and anti-war over the years. Here in Brighton they've had some marches against the new right to demonstrate laws, but I've missed them so far. I think of myself as a hippie at heart.

Claire likes this.