A letter from Michael Berg

Discussion in 'America Attacks!' started by skip, May 21, 2004.

1. skip

skip Founder Administrator

This is a letter from Michael Berg, the father of Nick Berg who was beheaded under unusual circumstances in Iraq. Mr. Berg blames President Bush & his policies for his son's death and the dire situation faced by the Iraqi people and people all over the world.

Michael Berg
    Friday May 21, 2004
    The Guardian

My son, Nick, was my teacher and my hero. He was the kindest, gentlest man I know; no, the kindest, gentlest human being I have ever known. He quit the Boy Scouts of America because they wanted to teach him to fire a handgun. Nick, too, poured into me the strength I needed, and still need, to tell the world about him.

People ask me why I focus on putting the blame for my son's tragic and atrocious end on the Bush administration. They ask: "Don't you blame the five men who killed him?" I have answered that I blame them no more or less than the Bush administration, but I am wrong: I am sure, knowing my son, that somewhere during their association with him these men became aware of what an extraordinary man my son was. I take comfort that when they did the awful thing they did, they weren't quite as in to it as they might have been. I am sure that they came to admire him.

I am sure that the one who wielded the knife felt Nick's breath on his hand and knew that he had a real human being there. I am sure that the others looked into my son's eyes and got at least a glimmer of what the rest of the world sees. And I am sure that these murderers, for just a brief moment, did not like what they were doing.

George Bush never looked into my son's eyes. George Bush doesn't know my son, and he is the worse for it. George Bush, though a father himself, cannot feel my pain, or that of my family, or of the world that grieves for Nick, because he is a policymaker, and he doesn't have to bear the consequences of his acts. George Bush can see neither the heart of Nick nor that of the American people, let alone that of the Iraqi people his policies are killing daily.

Donald Rumsfeld said that he took responsibility for the sexual abuse of Iraqi prisoners. How could he take that responsibility when there was no consequence? Nick took the consequences.

Even more than those murderers who took my son's life, I can't stand those who sit and make policies to end lives and break the lives of the still living.

Nick was not in the military, but he had the discipline and dedication of a soldier. Nick Berg was in Iraq to help the people without any expectation of personal gain. He was only one man, but through his death he has become many. The truly unselfish spirit of giving your all to do what you know in your own heart is right even when you know it may be dangerous; this spirit has spread among the people who knew Nick, and that group has spread and is spreading all over the world. So what were we to do when we in America were attacked on September 11, that infamous day? I say we should have done then what we never did before: stop speaking to the people we labelled our enemies and start listening to them. Stop giving preconditions to our peaceful coexistence on this small planet, and start honouring and respecting every human's need to live free and autonomously, to truly respect the sovereignty of every state. To stop making up rules by which others must live and then separate rules for ourselves.

George Bush's ineffective leadership is a weapon of mass destruction, and it has allowed a chain reaction of events that led to the unlawful detention of my son which immersed him in a world of escalated violence. Were it not for Nick's detention, I would have had him in my arms again. That detention held him in Iraq not only until the atrocities that led to the siege of Fallujah, but also the revelation of the atrocities committed in the jails in Iraq, in retaliation for which my son's wonderful life was put to an end.

My son's work still goes on. Where there was one peacemaker before, I now see and have heard from thousands of peacemakers. Nick was a man who acted on his beliefs. We, the people of this world, now need to act on our beliefs. We need to let the evildoers on both sides of the Atlantic know that we are fed up with war. We are fed up with the killing and bombing and maiming of innocent people. We are fed up with the lies. Yes, we are fed up with the suicide bombers, and with the failure of the Israelis and Palestinians to find a way to stop killing each other. We are fed up with negotiations and peace conferences that are entered into on both sides with preset conditions that preclude the outcome of peace. We want world peace now.

Many have offered to pray for Nick and my family. I appreciate their thoughts, but I ask them to include in their prayers a prayer for peace. And I ask them to do more than pray. I ask them to demand peace now. ยท Michael Berg is the father of Nick Berg, the US contractor beheaded on video in Iraq this month by a group believed to be linked to al-Qaida. This is an extract from his message of support for the Stop The War Coalition's demonstration, End the Torture - Bring the Troops Home Now, which will be held at 11am tomorrow at the Embankment in London

2. MaxPower

MaxPower Kicker Of Asses

That's powerful. Can't say I totally agree, but powerful.

3. Sera Michele

Sera Michele Senior Member

That is a very smart man. Through this diffucult time he still realizes that this war is a bad thing. He could have easily balmed Iraqi's for all this. Gives me some hope for America

4. osiris

osiris Senior Member

*stands and applaudes*

much love :)

5. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

That almost made my cry. :( If something had happened to my baby, I wouldn't be able to breathe for years, and I really admire him for standing up and saying how he feels about it all. I think he's mostly right, especially about Bush. George W. Bush has never been a real father...his girls are only here for publicity (bad publicity, most recently... :)), so he can look like a family man, because family men care about their country and their citizens, yadda yadda yadda....

6. Megara

Megara Banned

wasnt he offered a plane ride out of iraq that he turend down?

7. BlackVelvet

BlackVelvet Members

My heart goes out to Michael Berg and his family. He is right about the war and alot of what he says, I agree with. This war has turned into nothing but alot of innocent lives killed alot of bloodshed, and for what? We are all human beings..I am totally lost on what the reason for it was in the first place. It just gets worse and worse day by day..I'm fed up with the war, with George Bush, and I don't think I am the only American in the world that is tired of all the lies, and deceit protrayed by our so called goverment..All of our lives, we were told what a great country we Alive in, and we hear what we they want us to hear, which are half truths..they don't want to tell us what is really going on..only what they want us to know. We are like their lil robots they can manipulate into thinking and believing how RIGHT they are when they say we are going to WAR because it's the only alternative..what the hell ever, I'm done believing anymore. ~ Peace ya'll~

8. Maverick

Maverick Banned

I cannot believe he actually said that. Nick might have been a nice guy, but beliveing that these terrorists actually cared even a little? This guy is out of his mind. Terrorists don't care.
    This man should be put down to say the least.

9. dreamweaver

dreamweaver Member

Thats what I thought when I read it too. There is no way in hell the terrorists ever came to admire Nick Berg, the idea is ridiculous. I agree with some of the things Michael Berg said in that article, but I have a major problem with his blaming Bush and taking some of the heat off of the terrorists that killed his own son just because the terrorists had a direct interaction with his son and Bush did not. Of course they had a direct interaction, they killed the man. I can understand where he's coming from, I have a friend in Iraq and if he was killed I would more than likely want to place blame on Bush too, because the Iraqis are just fighting back..we invaded their country....but at the same time, Nick Berg went there voluntarily...he went to a war torn country as a civilian with no protection...and he was killed..why is this such a shock to everyone? If I went to Iraq to look for work, I would almost expect to be killed...I'd be pretty damn surprised if I made it out of that country alive. We are at war, of course these things are going to happen.

10. razm

razm Member

Yes, one week before he died I believe.

11. Megara

Megara Banned

then its his own fault for staying and not bush's.

12. Anderson Council

Anderson Council Member

I agree with dreamweaver. First of all, This is a man who acted alone. I understand that he wanted to help people,but going to Iraq in a time like this? Come on, Especially a Jewish man. Thats like a guy back in 1945 saying to his dad "you know, we sure bombed the hell out of Berlin I think I'll go over and help these poor people." It doesn't make sence to me at all. I am not saying he desrerved what happened nobody deserves that but you have to expect the worst. How can he blame the Bush Admin. They warned him and even gave him a free ticket home on a military hop but refused.

13. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Uh, it's ONLY the US gov't saying he was offered a ride out. Of course they DON'T say WHERE the offered ride was to...

Guantanamo, no doubt, just like they offered the other prisoners at Abu Gharaib.

The US is NOT in the habit of offering free airfare to civilian Americans without damn good reasons or dire circumstances.

No, they would really, really have to WANT to get RID of him to make such an offer.

It seems to me this is just another part of the COVERUP that Rumsfeld is currently leading.

14. BlackVelvet

BlackVelvet Members

I agree with Skip on this one. Of course they are gonna say, "He was offered a way out" they are being blamed because Nick Bergs family has proof!..they are trying to make it not look bad on them..That is my view on it. This man Michael Berg lost his son, in a very brutal and cruel way. His sons death is displayed everywhere..even the very act itself..and he was TOLD by our government, he was in custody,and was SAFE..sorry, I don't buy the "we offered to get him out bullshit" It's a way to take the heat off of what happened.. ~Peace~

15. Sera Michele

Yeah, the Gov't is saying this, but Bergnever even mentioned anything like that to his parents. Basically, they can say anything because Berg is dead now, and can't verify anything. Basically it's CYA (cover your ass) time, because our gov't was detaining him illegally, and than tried to tell us that they never held him at all. They got busted on that lie, so here comes a few more.

How can you trust someone who gets caught lying to you?

16. Sera Michele

I disagree, it would have been a lot easier, as an american and father, to blame Iraqi's than to blame Bush. I think he is being very smart rather than irrational.

17. jonny2mad

jonny2mad Senior Member

This man is about the most stupid naive person I have ever heard
    his letter disgusts me ,I feel like shaking the dumb bastard and telling him the people who killed his son didnt respect him.

for the last couple of years Ive been going on sites run by the type of people who killed nick berg and they are complete bastards

they watch these kind of films for fun and totally hate non-muslims who they see as being subhuman they especially hate jews like Mr berg

This letter is like a jew in a concentration camp saying Im sure the SS guards respected my son when they gassed him, and we should all listern to hitler

18. BlackVelvet

BlackVelvet Members

ok, your post disgusts me! I know what you are saying about the people that killed his son is probably true, but to lash out at him, for what he wrote, saying he's a stupid and niave..and that you wanna shake the dumb bastard! what the hell..he lost his son, and his letter made alot of sense to me..so dude CHILL and realize, he went through something you have not, and to even call him such things is just WRONG!

19. FireQuint

FireQuint Member

Oh no you don't

20. razm

razm Member

Riiiggghhht skip....it's all a conspiracy. Gimme a break man, Berg was offered a ride home to you know, the United States. He was there of his own free will, and stayed by his own free will. The left's attempt at pinning this on the current administration is well, pitiful.