A Gathering of the Tribes Alternative to natls

Discussion in 'Rainbow Family' started by kinulpture, Mar 17, 2009.

1. dormouse

dormouse Member

oh i'm sure there are good and lovable (albeit drunk) folks in A Camp but it's hard to remember that when you've been accosted and made to feel threatened on your way "Home". i'll try to remember and not be so harsh.

2. mildlygray

mildlygray Member

I feel ya, It's my pledge that, you and every sister and bro under the Rainbow, accosted coming home, to be a Peace Keeper (Shanta seena (sp?)for you and deal harshly with any predators in the woods. And not to be numb to be your injuries and ask you what your needs for comforts or medicines, emotional or physical. And then ask what your wish for how its handled.Then offer suggestions for Seena council and names of elder brothers to back you and sisters to support you. This pledge to my daughter is the same.
    A successful gathering should not have in its breathe that you did not get accosted on your way home.
    The measure should be, did the shared loven energy's fill you enough to hold you till next family event.
    Drinking diseases is not exemption to rainbow rap. Non harm non violent,non aggression to family, esp sis's , is top rap. Accamp is family and is obliged to know and follow the ways of love in Rainbow Rap. Acamp elders should be in council circles. As all good family, acampers included should hear the voices of the feather. Then the feather light power to shine light on all dark things.Enforcing the ways of love , of the rainbow, and the rap.A few bad apples left to contenue unacceptable ways will harm Rainbow truths.At least shine the light on rotten apples.
    One truth I think is, drinking will always produce diseases in good folks and the resulting problems go on for all to deal with.Sadly
    Thanks for listening , Sorry for your injuries.Peace to your 101 lb heart sis.
    Much love Keith

3. dormouse

dormouse Member

((((HUGGA KEITH))))

4. mildlygray

mildlygray Member

Ahhh I feeln that, thanks ((((dormouse))))

5. thistle

thistle Member

agott was an idea of two people that I know of, perhaps a couple more who chose to remain anonymous. It was launched a few years ago with the biggest advertising campaign in rainbow history, totally over the internet. This alone would have caused some discontent as while there has long been a general agreement that more gatherings are better, most people felt small local gatherings at the same time as the Annual should not place themselves in competition with the Annual and attempt to pull energy away from what most saw as that one time a year where all the energies of all the regions gathered together as very valuable.

There have always been local gatherings over the fourth of July but all have been in harmony with and respect for the one large Annual.

But the internet based national advertising campaign was not the major issue that caused people to become upset over agott. It was that the advertising was extremely deceptive. The name agott was picked to confuse people new to the rainbow gatherings and trick them into going to a small regional gathering in Missouri when they were seeking to go to the Nationally based gathering of 10,000 to 25,000. In the announcement of the gathering from the original poster you see the disclaimer, "This is not the Annual / National Rainbow Gathering for Peace and Healing." You might wonder why that's included. Such a disclaimer was not included when agott began. Lookingheart was forced to include it by a tremendous amount of peer group pressure. People said, in essence, if you must have this extensive advertising campaign at least make it honest and clear so people are not deceived and have clear information to make a free choice. Yet even after the disclaimer was added on the sites that were frequently viewed the deceptive propaganda continued on smaller sites below the radar.

The advertising campaign had two basic goals, one to spread false information about the Annual to place it in as unfavorable light as possible. And to spread false information about the size and extent of agott. This went so far as lookingheart attempting to take control of the Rainbow Wikipedia page to spread his propaganda. Those who were concerned brought this to the attention of the wikipedia moderators and through a process of mediation and arbitration lookingheart was informed by the moderators that he must stop inserting false information onto the Rainbow page or he would be banned from posting on wikipedia. In the archives of the discussion page of the Rainbow Gathering wikipedia article you can find much of the discussion that took place concerning this mediation and subsequent arbitration process.

This is not about who can have gatherings when or where, most everyone would like to see more gatherings. Nor is it about a name. People can call a gathering anything they want. People chose amusing names at times, like the BARF regional gatherings. This is about a history of lies and deception used in an attempt to get agott to go viral.

Unfortunately the name agott has become associated in the minds of many who have followed this movie with the lies told at its inception and for some years after. Those who have followed the hip-story will be understandably suspicious of the gathering for a long time. I would suggest that those who would like to see the rainbow energies expand in Missouri and desire to focalize a Missouri regional gathering simply call the Missouri regional a Missouri regional and there will be no confusion and no need to add a disclaimer. That's what everyone else in every other state does, they call their regional rainbow gatherings regional rainbow gatherings.

6. mildlygray

mildlygray Member

I'm at a loss to add anything to this controversy, but think its important to continue the conversation.
    To input to to the controversy would require new insights that I don't have, other than my friends that know Lookingheart (I do not) say his heart is good and his intentions well meaning. And he puts tons of energy into his efforts.
    I really appreciate the people that have help answer my
    original question on whats up with Gatherings lately,
    as well as the Alternatives that are also during the 4th. Being years behind both in Rainbow matters and internet forums.
    My desire is to be more involved. Never being sure of my ability to in either time or energy. Having to learn much..The Net gives a lot more ability to.
    Your insights seem well founded and I thank you for them. I will check those archives ( I just learned of Wikipedia) so as not to be naive to any deceptions well intended or not. And to be able to converse with those that are well informed. And what does "to go viral" mean?
    My first reaction to more Gatherings is, that would be good, but offset the date, so the 4th would get all possible energy to the Nationals(Annual). After much input from several folks, I agree, that I would go to a Alt.4th with local family in the event I couldn't make the Nationals(Annual).
    Any Gathering sounds wonderful to me, and it has been very difficult to do last several years, even to our Regional..
    If I found deception from anyone that refers to self as Rainbow, I would not be able to support them or it.
    Although I always wanted to smoke one with Frankenstein, to see the true nature of his heart. (a monstrous joke)
    My concerns are that first timers would get a impression that a small alternative is liken to the Annual. And not understand true meaning of giving and sharing or Peace or Healing that come from thousands of loving folks in the woods.
    The Rainbow rap should not get lost in the desire to gather, to wit a good festival can accomplish.
    My daughter whom has been to several Nationals and Regionals accidentally happened onto what might have been agott a couple years ago while camping with local Missouri friends. She reported they had pizza delivered to what they called Main circle. Hard to explain to nonRainbow friends, that is not a normal thing in a Gathering. I'm sure the pizza's must of been from locals doing their own thing?
    I also believe it important to pass on to future first timers the traditions of The Rainbow family in the same light that our 35 plus years of brothers and sisters, Love gave us.
    So Thistle I totally agree with perspective of Gatherings.
    And will be sad to find your right about the history of Agott and any intent to paint pictures of the Annual in poor light, or to deceive us that would put energy to a 4th alternative.
    Again my personal disclaimer is that I have not put energy or focus into either local or national family matters. And therefore have not a station to speak with any authority from. So my words are conversation only.Again I appreciate all bro's n sis's have put loven energy and focus into Rainbow Family matters.
    Peace to all
    Love you all
    Keith Grayhawk

7. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

i encourage ne1 to travel there. or video this event. there are archival records i could hunt down. i planned it very well in advance, as early as nov. even before i met my ex just after xmas. i didn`t get many responses. people kept on, & still do mix it up w/ regional. so that`s one of the reasons for the # of noobs there. please note, noob is a gaming term for new players. i hope this year it exceeds 300 people. & i hope someone floats from vera cruz to Eastwind. for that matter, beyond. & i hope someone floats from shawnee too. i tried to set that up too. i know some folks in paducah who were interested in that. & they may hit rippee too. if i coulda got a grant i woulda bought a fedex route in that area recently.

8. mildlygray

mildlygray Member

Float from Shawnee IL. to Agott S.e. Mo.? Several days on which river?
    I've been talking with a cousin to do a 2or3day laid back float on maybe the Big Piney or upper Meramac. I'm not sure where Rippee is? I love dreaming, not sure what reality dictates for my chances to do longer floats. As well who else would be able to go. Fun to think and talk bout.
    That would also mean not making NM. Which I'm hoping for, also looks slim for now.

9. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

no, not from shawnee to rippee. shawnee is in oct. rippee is in july. what i meant about shawnee is float downstream from there to wherever. i`m tryin to start the idea going to float maybe just a little bit anywhere to or from any gathering. there should be family kayaks @ rippee this year. tho they won`t necessarily be used for long trips. not as far as i know anyway. Rippee to Brown`s Cave, then Assumption Abbey, should be real nice. that is unless someone wants start from vera cruz too which would make it a bit longer. would no doubt be necessary to overnight @ one of these. the locals do it all the time. rippee is 12 mi East of Ava mo on hwy 14 on the right. on bryant creek. bryant creek kinda fluctuates though. about 30 of us were stranded a couple days, mid-june. it`s an event you`ll remember. the locals, leo`s, cons workers support us alot. i`m sure if someone were to go even now this early, they`d be fed well. i may yet make it cuz it appears my lady & i are taking a lil break from each other. tho while we`re doing this i`m supposed to be finding a job & apt in Spgfld. i don`t really wanna, cuz this prettymuch would only be for her, tho i guess some me. but i don`t wanna lose her too.

10. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

well, since i may have lost her,so it`s off to the woods then. alot of people have expressed interest in this event. & it looks like it will be bigger this year. so we may have to have an alternate spot. but i think we should still have someone check rippee occasionally. no doubt this will be brought up @ council. there really never was one per se for this last year. i think looking heart & ray were the only ones who attended both. it was way early too. & by the way i`m still calling it rainbow to the locals. i may not even hafta do that alot, just show up. cuz alot of locals wondered why it even ended. i had a hard time explainin to some of them that it never ends, just moves around. & sadly i had to tell some it would be in a different location this year. this was before i found out about the return south of it of course. but i`m keepin hopes my lady wants me back too. i hope she becomes disgusted w/ her ex.

11. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

i did`nt quite get this right, but here`s bryant creek. i will post this on my "new project" thread in rainbow family here.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    south about 42.6 miles from Vera Cruz to Norfork Lake on the Arkansas border to its confluence with the North Fork of the White River about a half mile above the lake, and just east of Bull Shoals Lake. It is a normally gentle stream with Class I to II rapids, willow jungles, rock shoals and a nearly perpetual flow, though it may run low during periods of drought. The creek is a low-volume, spring-fed stream that can and will become dangerous in high water conditions, so paddlers need to visually check its status before putting in after significant local rainfall. The surrounding area is a wilderness of bluffs and farmland in the Ozark Mountains foothills, where wildlife is abundant and people are scarce. Wildflowers and indigenous vegetation cover gently-sloping creek banks, and the stream frequently bends sharply, raising the risk of willow entrapment as flows increase. A moderate gradient averaging about 5.8 feet per mile (fpm) maintains a gentle current that makes paddling easy.

Above the Bell School low-water bridge on Missouri SH 95, the creek is narrow and often choked with deadfall debris and willow strainers. The upper reach can be paddled, but extreme caution is urged to prevent injury or damage to boats and gear. However, below SH 95 awaits about 27.7 miles of awesome paddling. Low-water bridges at SH 181 and near Warren offer access points, as well as potential hazards in high water conditions. Camping is available at the Aid-Hodgson Mill at the SH 181 crossing about 10.6 miles below the SH 95 put-in (this is the site where Ewell Gibbons filmed those Grape-Nuts commercials back in the 80's), with drinking water, restrooms and gorgeous scnery all around. This beautiful creek offers a pristine place for canoeists and kayakers to enjoy the magnificent beauty of the Missouri Ozarks area, and numerous other great Missouri and Arkansas streams are located close enough to give paddlers many options for boating away from major population centers or development. Mark Twain National Forest surrounds Bryant's Creek. There are no local services available, so come prepared and be sure to bring your camera!

Douglas and Ozark Counties of southcentral Missouri, near the Arkansas State Line, Bull Shoals Lake and Norfork Lake. St. Louis is about 3.5-4 hours northeast and Little Rock is about 6 hours (or more, depending upon road conditions) to the southwest.

St. Louis 195 miles; Springfield 80 miles; Kansas City 250 miles; Little Rock 275 miles; Oklahoma City 616 miles; Dallas 600 miles; Austin 795 miles; San Antonio 875 miles; Houston 709 miles; Albuquerque 1,156 miles; Phoenix 1,600 miles; Denver 1,216 miles; Salt Lake City 1,713 miles (all distances are approximate and depend upon starting point, destination at the river and route taken.)

Water quality is very good to excellent most of the time due to a lack of development of polluting influences anywhere near the creek. Flows are almost always adequate for paddle trips in canoes or kayaks except during drought periods.

Any time except during a drought is a great time to paddle Bryant's Creek, though it can become very dangerous in high water conditions due to low-water bridges, sharp bends in the channel and willow strainers, as well as dead-fallen tree debris piles that collect at those bends.

Generally, there are no significant hazards for boaters at normal flows. The two low-water bridges at SH 181 and near Warren (closer to Norfork Lake) pose potential threats to boats and boater safety when the creek is at or near flood stage. Willow strainers and deadfall debris piles, especially where the creek bends sharply, are also potential hazards to navigation during the same high-flow conditions.

Vera Cruz Access on Hwy. AB at 0.0 miles; Hwy. 14. Access at about 2.5 miles; Bertha Ford Access (low-water bridge) on CR N-345 just west of SH 95 at about 11.6 miles (portage MAY be necessary); Bell School low-water bridge on SH 95 near Vanzant ay 16.3 miles; Private campground on river right at about 24.0 miles (fee required); SH 181 low-water bridge at Aid-Hodgson Mill (Sycamore Access on right below bridge) at about 25.9 miles; Warren low-water bridge at about 33.3 miles; Florence C. Cook Access on right, on County Road 308, off Hwy. 160 at about 40.0 miles; Last access 0.4 mile downstream from the North Fork confluence at about 43.0 miles.
    Aid-Hidgson Mill Campground at SH 181 and Bryant's Creek offers scenic campsites with drinking water, restrooms and picnic tables. There are no other campgrounds along Bryant' Creek, however, there are at least two great campgrounds in Mark Twain National Forest along the North Fork of the White River just a short distance to the east, as well as at least three US Army CoE parks located around Norfork Lake in Arkansas, just below the take-out (all can be reached by paddling directly to them.)

There are at least seven known commercial outfitters providing rentals, shuttles and river information on the North Fork River and Bryant's Creek, though not located directly on the Creek.

Bryant's Creek is one of those places that is unknown to most paddlers and seldom enjoyed because of its remoteness. For those who find their way here, the creek offers a pristine place to enjoy the magical beauty of the Missouri Ozark foothills and the surrounding wilderness of Mark Twain National Forest. Easy access at 10.6, 18 and 27.7 miles allows paddlers to choose reaches and distances they want to paddle, but from my perspective it would be a waste not to run this entire creek.
    It can be paddled about 13.3 miles or more above SH 95, but access is more difficult, finding it is also harder, and the channel is tighter, with more dead-fall and willow thickets to navigate. The charm of Bryant's Creek cannot be overstated. Wildlife, birds, plants, beautiful bluffs and rolling foothills of the Ozark Mountains combine to offer a backdrop that is most pleasing and enjoyable. Best of all, you will not encounter crowds of other paddlers (or anybody else, for that matter) on this stream. It's a little off the beaten path, but that is a large part of what is so special about this awesome creek.
    The Class I to II rapids are not too technically challenging, but offer a little whitewater fun to go with the natural beauty of this place. Pack the camera along with everything else you need, and be self-sustaining, because you will not find canoe liveries, restaurants or motels along the stream. This is a gorgeous wilderness trip that would only be better if it were two or three times as long.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    now, for some bizarre reason they`re not mentioning the slabs @ rippee & the Abbey. & spring @ the small cave, & Brown`s cave.

12. mildlygray

mildlygray Member

Sounds worth checking out. And even better if floating to a Gathering.
    I'll copy these direction and print it per chance I'll use them. Hope your girl and you hook back up. Good luck on that. Thanks for the info.
    Peace Keith see ya on da riva

13. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

i`m not entirely sure how big, ray`s gig(council) will be. he doesn`t have a whole lotta room. this is on the 15th of may & i may be in a guinea pig study. then again i may not if i don`t get over this sudden illness. the only problem whatsoever about rippee will be if a great many ppl show up. not a whole lotta action @ rippee, just magick & some alcohol. & floating to it from vera cruz will be a very small event. it`s a kinda pet project for me. & i`d like someone to do it if i don`t. some locals showed up last year floating from vera cruz. & i was kinda floored. & i was thinking if they can do it family can too. but i had the idea long before that. & it would be great if this could be done before the 4th, maybe just from vera cruz to the abbey. of course, we would need a shuttle vehicle to return us to rippee. ray has promised shuttle vehicles in the flier, but i`m not sure that would extend to MoonBow activities. we still have time to tout this up bigger. my girl hasn`t called in 10 days so i`m taking the lil hint.

14. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

[​IMG]Location
    The small watershed of Rippee Creek is southeast of Ava. Water runs north off Hilo Ridge (Highway N); east off Highway 5 around Squires; and south off Highways P and 14. Communities
    Sweden on Highway 14; Girdner on Highway P; Squires on Highway 5.
    Roads
    County roads run along the upper half of the creek. There is a gravel crossing at the mid-point, and P Highway crosses Rippee at Girdner.
    Watershed Size: About 18 square miles.
    Elevation varies from 1,360 feet above sea level on Hilo Ridge to 800 feet at the confluence with Bryant Creek. Maximum relief is 560 feet.
    Stream Flow
    Rippee Creek flows perennially from near Girdner for about 7 miles.
    Bryant Flow Contributor Rank
    Rippee Creek is the fourth largest tributary of the Bryant.
    Landscape & Special Features
    Much of the watershed has steep slopes with moderate slopes at the head of the watershed near Squires. There are large areas of pasture on the broad ridges near the mid-point, above Girdner, and along the creek valley. Much of the rest of the watershed is wooded. Rippee Conservation Area includes 418 acres of public land along Bryant Creek at the mouth of Rippee Creek.
    Topographic Maps
    Wasola and Rockbridge.
    School Districts
    Ava, and a small bit of Skyline.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG] Top

15. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

on the otherhand, tho i`ve never actually been there, the No. Fork of White looks better @least on the map & it`s close to Cabool. Cabool has Tod`s Motel & Shetler`s grocery.

16. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

gray, i believe u mentioned something about the piney river. i just found out about this:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    the folks living near the site of last year's
    ozark regional gathering
    have invited all those interested
    to come and join in peace and harmony
    for a week of drumming, food, and other fun festivities.

dates: june 1 thru 7

where: at the old horse camp on the piney river

directions: from waynesville take hy 17 south to hy AW,
    1 mile north of evening shade on the right
    to elder springs road to it's end,
    turn left at the t to wyoming road
    right to the gathering site.
    look for "x" on tree and other signs.

bring peace, love, drums, food, to share, and other good things
    those attending will be expected to refrain from excessive use of alcohol.

------------------------------------

oddly enough, from what i hear, the piney actually flows North. i foundout about this a few yrs ago @ regional near there. but there are others flowing south(which most do), which may come close to a proposed Agott site. & the timing of this is about right. now if council could come up w/ a regional directionally between this & AGOTT............

17. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

well, it appears AGOTT will be here (rippee).

18. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

& it seems 2 be kinda slow goin @moment.

19. indydude

indydude Senior Member

River travel sounds so fun! My bud took off down the Mississinewa on an air canoe he got from saving Marlboro miles. Traveled all the way to the Mississippi. Some people did a documentary about him. It's called 'Nobody'. He was on Dr. Phil recently reconnecting with his family.
    My friend, his name is Jerry, has truly found Nirvana.

20. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

well, ther`es dude or 2 on here who live on boats. & no doubt some sisters of course. & there was a boat 4 kickdown on here once. i`ve kinda revised my notion of goin on this creek tho, it`s low. there are plenty fo rivers in mo tho. i`m kida tryin 2 find some relatively cleaner ones than the miss tho.