A few grow/general Qs

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by SyZyGy, May 13, 2004.

1. SyZyGy

SyZyGy Member

Hey Everyone!

I've now signed up again since the server crashed. Hope everyoens having a great week.

anywho, ive started a few plants recently, and I've got a few questions to begin with (im sure more will come up as things progress. I've been reading lots about the whole growing proccess, and the main thing that confuses me is the male/female ordeal. So I know that only female results in the desired buds, and you must trim the plant of any males that come up (right?). but is the whole plant either male or female... or are parts of it different sexes. ive read people saying stuff like 'as the plant grows you must trim off the males', but ive also heard people saying things like 'ive got 10 plants going, and im hoping to have at least * females'. Are soem plants just destined to only be male and produced no desired marijuana buds? I have 3 seeds going, 1 bucket has 1 seed, the other has 2. Ill most likely transplant the one that has 2 seeing as its not a very large planter and it woudlnt hold 2 plants. Someoen told me the plants will 'turn eachother male' if they come in contact with eachother, ect. If someone could please just gerenrally clear up my confusion here it would be most apprecaited.

thanks much.

2. Ediction421

Ediction421 Member

Plants are either Male, Female, or both. Most people get rid of the males to prevent pollanation of the female plants, which is generally a bad thing.
    Plants of both sexes are somewhat rare though...

3. SyZyGy

SyZyGy Member

how do u know if its male or female? if its male is it worth keeping?

4. Peace

Peace In complete harmony.

Males have balls and Females have pistles. Yes and plant can turn into a hermaphradite. This is it's own way of making sur eit doesn't go extinct. A hermie plant will pollinate itself and the buds will contain seeds. If you grow properly and cause little stress to your plants they shouldnt go hermie.

I suggest that if you get males you throw them away immediately after you've clarified that they're males. The only useful purpose for them is to breed your plants. Note that this will cause your females to be seeded.

Hope this helps
    -Peace

5. SyZyGy

SyZyGy Member

i got 2 plants in one pot, so ii must transplant one . at what point should i do this?

6. Peace

It would be best to transplant as soon as possible to avoid having the roots get entangled in each other.

7. john_the_pothead

john_the_pothead Member

yeah i was a little confused about the male/female thing too

so if a female gets pollinated, it loses a lot of potency, right?...can you still get a decent high off it?

if I'm growing outdoors and want to pollinate just one or two of my females, how would I go about doing this?

and how much bud does a single female grown outside yield...I know this differs by string, but its always listed in grams/meter^3, and somehow i don't think this applies to me if im growing outdoor and allowing them to reach full heighth...

and finally, how far should I space my plants when I move them outside?

8. porkstock41

porkstock41 Every time across from me...not there!

the female plant uses some of it's resin to produce seeds i think.

to pollinate the plant, you'll need a male. i think you just leave a male and female together and let them do their thing. just like an animal, ha.

i not sure that i know what i'm talking about.

9. john_the_pothead

john_the_pothead Member

yeah, but im planting about 15 plants, and im moving them outdoors quickly because of the risk of getting caught by my dad. I just want one or at most two of my females pollinated...

I guess i'll just let a male flower open but not all of its flowers, so I have a few seeds in all of the female buds...

10. Peace

The resin is used to protect the plant from insects and UVB lighting. It doesnt use the resin to prudoce seeds, how ever the plant does slow down the production of THC because it's focusing its energy on producing seeds.

You dont wanna leave the males because they will pollinate all your females.

11. john_the_pothead

john_the_pothead Member

so how can i get about 30-40 seeds for next year?

i just ordered some white rhino and want to keep the strain for next year...

12. john_the_pothead

john_the_pothead Member

bump...anyone have any ideas?

13. Peace

are you growing outdo or indoor?

if your growing indoors all you need to do is turn one of your females hermaphradite. when your on your 12/12 flowering cycle put a hour of light right in the middle of your dark cycle so youd have 12(lights on) 5.5(lights off) 1(lights on) 5.5(lights off) this will make her go hermie and produce feminized seeds.

14. john_the_pothead

john_the_pothead Member

unfortunately, i am growing outdoor...

15. GuySmiley

GuySmiley Member

Hermied seeds generally produce hermied plants. Feminised strains are a pain in the ass to grow, I have only had 2 successful feminised grows. I have been growing for a long time and know how to not "stress" a plant. "Stressing" the plant will cause it to hermie. Femmed seeds are usually triggered to hermie by light leaks, but like I said, they are hermies in hiding. My growroom is completely light leak proof and mine still hermied. I never had hermied plants until I started growing feminised beans. Becareful when growing feminised strains with regular "stabilized" strains. A single hermied plant can ruin a good sensimilla crop.

16. PeRrY

PeRrY Member

If you really want some seeds for next year, you could either
    a.)Make a plant turn hermie or
    b.)Breed a male and female together

Or if you wanted to make things easier on yourself, you could just make clones. Thats the baset way to keep a strain that you like going, The Clones are guaranteed to be female(so long as you clone a female plant)and will be Geneticly identical to the mother(the one you took them off of)