a dread wrap? a dread head-dress?

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by Earthy Mama, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

Jeez, I don't know how to explain what I mean because I don't know what it is called so I'm just going to describe how it looks and if you guys can help me please do! I'm looking for instructions on how to do this...

Ok, you know those cloth head dresses women wear? Where they take their dreads, put them on top of their heads in a beautiful wrapping technique? I've seen alot of pictures of rastafarian women wearing a head wrap and I've always loved how it looked. Does anyone know how to do it? Or what its called so I can research how to do it? I'm going to see if I can find a pic to show what I mean...

ok heres kind of what I mean... I pulled this link off of snake mountain threads...I hope this lady Andy doesn't mind. Anyway, the second picture she has a wrap over her dreads...
    http://www.snakemountainthreads.com/AboutUs.html

2. MoonjavaSeed

MoonjavaSeed Yeah, Toast!

do you mean like erykah badu?:D

3. Earthy Mama

yea, I think she does wear one..

4. MoonjavaSeed

MoonjavaSeed Yeah, Toast!

hmmmmmm i have a friend who's mom is from st. lucia and wears one of them.. i'll ask her and get back to you.. her's isn't quite so big as ms badu's tho :D

5. Earthy Mama

thank u! :)

6. Earthy Mama

7. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

OOOH THEM!! haha yea i do that with my towels when i wash my hair :p i couldnt see from the pic if it was done the same way. dont you just put it over your head and pull to the back like a bandana then twist it so its a long snake at the back, wrap it round your head and tuck up??

8. PhOeNiX_fIrE

PhOeNiX_fIrE Member

like a towel turban?
    I always wanted to know how to wrap the dreads with a bandana likething kinda tied around the hair, putting them in a big pony tail. I could never figure this out. Everytime I try to do it, there's a big ole knot sticking out. I'm kinda retarded with hair. That's why I got dreads. Do you guys know how to do that?

9. moontime

moontime mountain girl

Thanks for posting this, it is something I've been wondering about too.
    hugs
    sam

10. Electricbuddha

Electricbuddha Member

Oh oh!!!! i do this all the time...... I just take a nice big colorful scarf of some sort.. and then I start wrapping it up around my dreads up vertically :) so there all sticking out then then they eventually get covered then u take the end of the scarf and tuck it in where ever u can when your wrapping it up and around near the last big of dread u sort of turn it and make it like a little roof and then tuck the end in... its always different after your done, that the nice part of it! and then it falls back just a little bit over timeā€¦

mine looks pretty much identical to that picture u posted a link to

11. moontime

moontime mountain girl

There is this beautiful mixed-race woman that comes in my store and she always has some sort of cool headwrap or funky hat. Its always cool to see.