A definition of AS I got from someone with AS

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by Dave_techie, Jun 7, 2009.

1. mludd

mludd Member

My experience of people with Asperger's syndrome is that a lot of them have this "Aspie pride! Neurotypicals are idiots!" attitude that really bothers me. I suppose the main reason it bugs me is because most people I've met who have AS are slightly above average in intelligence and think of themselves as geniuses just because the average person is slightly dumber than they are while in reality they're not that all that special and for all this "once you figure out the 'rules' of the game you can manipulate neurotypicals easily" crap most of them are just as easily manipulated by someone with good social skills, it's just that most people with good social skills don't go around manipulating random people for no reason.

2. Dave_techie

Dave_techie I call Sheniangans

Many people with good social skills DO go around manipulating other people for no reason.

people use other people for sex, favors, money, what have you, all the time, and usually, for the collateral damage inflicted? it's not worth it.

The definition of aspergers includes above average intelligence. so, we're all smart, but, we've got about average pockets of people with wisdom

you give someone with minimal responsibility, who understands how another person "ticks" who doesn't understand why it's wrong to manipulate them (as they've probably been manipulated) they're probably going to do it for shits and giggles.

the boiler plate anger at NT's comes from the ridicule that a lot of us got from NT's for being different. it's a learned response. it's also a negative aspect of the community, but, what community doesn't have negative aspects?

3. IamnotaMan

IamnotaMan I am Thor. On sabba-tickle. Still available via us

So is Ausbergers treatable much?

4. Dave_techie

it's not really treated, it's generally assumed that since aspies are smarter than average they'll figure it out, some do, some don't.

usually it just ends up being a "go to therapy for your depression" thing, because almost 100% of the aspie community suffers depression at one point or another.

I mean, how would an NT treat it? and, how would another aspie treat it?

5. mludd

mludd Member

Dave_techie_: What I'm talking about isn't manipulating people in order to gain something from it, lots of people do that. I'm talking about the way most "aspies" I've met seemed to not give a shit about getting along with people until they just randomly would decide to mess with people just for shits and giggles, "neurotypicals" don't normally do that (I'm not counting teenagers here).

Also, I've met several people diagnosed with AS who were below average in IQ, social skills and pretty much everything but went around boasting about how awesome they were because they had AS and how much better than the NTs they were.

This is not to say that I think everyone with AS is this way, just that the majority of people who I've met who openly mentioned that they had AS have behaved.

6. IamnotaMan

So this AS thing in your case Dave is sort of you don't follow why people are making certain facial expressions.Like you don't understand their perspective on life or their emotional motivations.Because yours is so different?
    That type of thing?

7. Dave_techie

it's HFA (to a point) if they have a below average IQ, either they were shitting, or you are shitting.

and, about half of people with AS don't have empathy. not having empathy means you don't REALLY get what you are doing when you manipulate someone. it's a game. it's putting input into a system and seeing a result.

and, yes, adults do it too, for nothing, stringing people along just for the sake of knowing you can do it? is manipulating for the sake of manipulation. and adult NT's pull that shit all the fucking time

relationship games?

that entire CONCEPT is manipulation for the sake of manipulation, little tests to make sure someone is as you wish them to be, that shit is fucking insane

so don't even say that "most NT's don't do that" because it's a fucking staple of the NT social diet

it's just that the way you guys do it is considered socially acceptable because so many of you do it.

8. mludd

mludd Member

Dave: HFA and AS seem to get mixed up a lot, they've all said they have AS but I suppose it sounds better to say you have AS than to say you're autistic.

Yes, dating/relationship games are fucked up but there is a purpose behind them, they're still a bad idea but there is a purpose to them, most people I've met who fell were diagnosed with AS/HFA seemed to just mess with people's heads for their own enjoyment, not to "test" if they were good partners or anything but just because they wanted to "test their theories" so to speak.

9. Dave_techie

testing their theories is as valid as testing someone else, and potentially doing serious emotional harm to them to see if they are "suitable"

10. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

I guess I need to correct myself in saying I thought the kid I work with has Asperger's, because he is not even of average intelligence (his IQ is 80), and since above average intelligence is a characteristic, I guess it's something else.

11. IamnotaMan

Are AS and OCD and Autism all linked/related then?

12. Dave_techie

Asperger's is on the Autism Spectrum of disorders

Temple Grandin and a lot of people on the spectrum believe (at least she did at the time of writing her memoir, Dunno if she still does, opinions change) that OCD is a cousin of autism, but not in fact on the spectrum, but it's not an official opinion, and there is no research backing it

13. IamnotaMan

Yeah I'd have suspected what u said.

Someone( psychologist) tried to tell me that ADD was linked to Autism/AS
    My feeling was that would be utter bullshit.

14. lode

lode Banned

Above average intelligence is not an official criteria of AS.

http://cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/overview_diagnostic_criteria.htm#Asperger

The psychiatric community to their credit, attempts to come up with standards of normal behavior, and labels everything which does not conform to that. This is what is necessary for medicine.

However, from a social perspective, I think too much emphasis is placed on labels. I'm not sure any of the people I've meet with AS needed to be 'treated' in a medical context.

15. Dave_techie

I lean towards the "for the most part add and adhd are utter bullshit"

not to say that there aren't people WITH ADD/ADHD, but, I think it's at best 10% of the people who are diagnosed (in all fairness more and more of the people who are diagnosed with autism/asperger's are falsely diagnosed because it's become trendy)

16. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

I already mentioned that, but no one ever listens to me. :(

It's also not so much genuine intelligence as it is "islands of ability"

17. lode

lode Banned

I honestly listen to you much more than most other poster. Not said to flatter you.

18. Dave_techie

I'm sorry, I thought they'd stuck to hans' diagnostic criteria.

great, now it catches behavior too. fan-fucking tastic.

"you function in society better than an HFA so you are an aspie, even though you can't spell cow" Great.

19. lode

lode Banned

If you don't mind me asking, is this the kind of thing you are/would seek medical treatment for?

Because if not, isn't the diagnosis academic? I mean you said it felt liberating for you. But you're the same person even if the criteria changes right?

20. mmg

mmg fish out of water

so what? its not like there is a handbook for human emotion we all learn at our own pace. it sounds strikingly similar to sociopathy.