A common misconception about Anarchism

Discussion in 'Anarchy' started by PacifistEgalitarian, May 25, 2014.

1. PacifistEgalitarian

PacifistEgalitarian Member

2. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

That's pretty good

3. PacifistEgalitarian

PacifistEgalitarian Member

Yeah it is. (I didn't make it mind you.) Sadly, it rings true based on the comments I've seen in other message boards about this topic. Some people can't distinguish between anarchism and "anarchy."

4. redfluorescence

redfluorescence Members

So accurate it hurts.

5. themnax

themnax Senior Member

anarchism isn't anarchy. that's one thing. any time you have even one person, being dominated by the will of another, that's a form of hierarchy.

now a lot of things, like roads and coal mines and oil wells and pretty much infrastructure in general, are things one person can't very well do alone.
    so if we want any of these things, it takes some sort of coordinate mutual effort on the part of many people.
    but that doesn't have to be vertically dictatorial in order to exist either.

and of course not all of those things are desirable. coal mines and oil wells we could get along very well without.
    but we would still need some sort of energy and transportation tribes, to replace their function if we wished it to be replaced.

as individuals we could, if there were no one to stop us, build our own shelters and grow and collect our own food.
    today's level of population would mostly die off that way, but then today's level of human population already is excessive anyway.

i don't advocate their starvation, which would very likely include my own, but at some point, its going to come to that anyway.
    because nature does have real and absolute limits. we may not know exactly what those limits are, and might not find out what they are until we do so the hard way, but they do exist, and it is almost inevitable that we will.