A Clockwork Orange

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi Books' started by jendi17, May 20, 2004.

1. Lindiglo

Lindiglo Member

Yes, with a few notable differences. Depending on the version of the book you read, (The book they sell in stores now is as Anthony Burgess intended) the book ends differently than the movie. The book as Burgess intended it ends with an extra chapter which was not included in the original American version, as the publishers edited it out. Stanley Kubrick, as I heard the story, read the American version when he wrote the screenplay, the movie ends with the spooky line of*spoiler spoiler, bla bla bla* "I was cured, all right." But the original, unedited book ends more optimistically. There's more Nadsat, and a couple more differences some people who have read the book more recently will gladly fill you in on, but in most ways it's rather faithful.

Lindi

2. Andy73

Andy73 Member

The movie just has a certain eccentric perfection and idiosyncratic quality that makes it great. I definitely plan on reading the book.

3. imabuildingburning

imabuildingburning Member

Come and get one in the yarbles, ya bloody bastards!!!

4. Love Fest1969

Love Fest1969 Classic Rocker

I love the movie but I love the book more.

5. Crosslight

Crosslight Banned

A Clockwork Orange is a great book and a great movie....but read the book before you watch the movie (directed by Ken Russell)

6. The_Walrus

The_Walrus Sgt. Pepper

The book is beyond phenomenal.
    Actually, the movie's pretty damn kickass, too, but the book is truly great. I feel like reading it again.

7. AfricaUnite

AfricaUnite Member

The book is so good I read it, then read it again the next day. I dont do that too often.

8. Albatron

Albatron Member

I like the original ending much much better than the one in the movie and the old american version. without the last chapter, the book sounds like it's trying to be another 1984 or brave new world, which pisses me off. those 2 books are great but cynical endings like those books had are so damned predictable after you've read them. That's one reason why I like the movie Equilibrium so much. It's like 1984 or Brave New World, but (Spoiler!) it ends optimistically.

9. lucy_diamond

lucy_diamond Member

despite the language i was anoyed by, i think is a pretty good book.
    i read it on croatian, which has more language-similarities with russian than english. i didn't have to use the dictionary, it was understandable.