A Clockwork Orange

Discussion in 'Cult Movies' started by Love Fest1969, May 2, 2006.

1. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

Glad you thought so.

Yeah, Alex is the only part that can almost keep me awake.

I still never stayed awake through the whole movie. Is the reprogramming scene cool?

It's the one part I really want to see.

And a tiny bit in Kubrick's defense, he actually only read the American version, and at the time, the American publishers refused to print the last chapter. Kubrick later stated that he has since read it and would've like to include it.

2. Das Katzchen

Das Katzchen Member

Adore this movie. Attempted reading the book, but I actually had a hard time with it.

3. I always thought the Ludovico Technique would be a great name for a band.

la Principessa likes this.
  4. Das Katzchen

Das Katzchen Member

I second that!

5. Dragonchaser

Dragonchaser Member

Wasn't the Ludovico Technique the name of one of the bands at the festival in Shea and Wilson's Illuminatus! Trilogy?! I don't remember, but for those who want to try it, absolutely mind blowing read. From high brow philosophy, post modern lit, and revisionist history jabs to low brow sex scenes wrapped up in a psychedelic haze of the logical conclusion to any conspiracy theory and the beginnings of R A Wilson's Agnosticism that he called Guerrilla Ontology in which language itself is used to break down the nature of reality tunnels or belief systems. Sound good? If not, I doubt you'd like either the book or Film of A Clockwork Orange... but I ramble on.

To Duck, I actually agree with the comparison of any 2 or more mediums used to tell the same story. Ask Alan Moore (and many who agree with him on the subject) what he thinks of adapting his graphic novels into films. And if you try and compare his comics to the films made from them, something is always lost in transtion. I enjoyed watching both V FOR VENDETTA and yes even WATCHMEN, but neither really capture what Moore was doing because they are two completely different forms of storytelling. Burgess's book was brilliant and there are many things about it that I like better than the movie. And then there's Kubrick.

Kubrick did not take books and turn them into movies because he liked the books. Stanley (one of the last real 'film' makers, as opposed to The Michael Bay school of 'movie' making) used books he found useable as stepping stones to bring a wider understanding of our existence and the world around us through the medium of film as a storytelling tool. The pacing of his films are usually deliberately slower than most other films because he wants us to dwell on not just the characters in the center of the screen, but the world around them, and how it shapes their logic, motivations, etc. While I find THE SHINING a much better example of this, CLOCKWORK does this stunningly and beautifully, as well. If that bored you, so be it, but while there is action taking place on the screen, this is not an 'action flick'. Just a story of what shapes rebellious youth and how far it can go, and more importantly, how far society goes in shaping it vrs. how far should it go to shape behavior.

For anyone who feels comfortable with the idea, psychedelics do enhance this movie and help show the deeper effects of the framing and cinematography on the story itself (in the same way how society's 'frame' upon a fragile young mind acts upon his ideals, aspirations, motivations, etc.). But drugs are not necessary for this, just for a little extra 'intuitive' guidance. I could complain that movie Alex wasn't 15, but 'movie' Alex is not 'book' Alex. Two different mediums. Two different stories. Enjoy them both. And for the trolls... please explain your dislike for the movie. and if 'it was slow and boring' or 'it wasn't as good as the book' is your answer, may I suggest trying it again after reading this post and see if you feel the same?

6. WallFlower69

WallFlower69 Member

this is a crazy movie. very violent. but for some reason its one of my favorites. i think alex was kinda cute..eh but i'm weird.

7. Periless

Periless Guest

I also loved this movie, in a wierd fucked up sort of way...

8. IMSWM

IMSWM Guest

ABSOLUTELY my favorite film ever, to such a degree it would probably scare posters should I go into detail. LMAO But on a more serious note, I hated the "missing chapter" (of the book) when it finally got released, and IMO it made Alex seem so pathetic and beaten down.

9. Bouga

Bouga Member

Can't agree more with the two of you. The book is entirely better, but the movie has a comedic feel the book didn't Burgess has stated that he really doesn't like the book, but I can see. Anyway, without the language the movie lacked some major appeal. I dont know about you but it was fun going back and forth learning words. Leaving out the ending was a let down too. It was like leaving out hope. However, for many years the American version of the book lacked that last chapter...

10. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

My favorite movie. And one of my favorite books as well.

11. JayK

JayK Members

The film is pretty good but the book is better, as usual, because there is a lot more word play.

12. porkman420

porkman420 Members

watch on a psychedelics

13. Mandykepp

Mandykepp Banned

I never really “got” this movie. But I remember the hogs of the road stuff and milk bar was kind of funny!!

soulcompromise likes this.
  14. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Me either... I think this must have been the advent of the popularization of violence on the silver screen, as the movie is old.

15. Mandykepp

Mandykepp Banned

True. Sometimes when you see a movie so long after it was released it just doesn’t have the same impact. Good point

soulcompromise likes this.