A blinding flash of the bleeding obvious !!!

Discussion in 'U.K. Politics' started by Vladimir Illich, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

When the bastard scumbags in the 'nasty party' cut the rates of Universal Credit several years ago, many people realised what was likely to happen - and it did. However, only several years later and a former Secretary of State for Social Security has finally come to realise the stupidity of the scumbag 'nasty party's' policy !!!

Harsh benefit cuts to blame for rising poverty, former Conservative Cabinet minister admits
    ‘We took too much money out of Universal Credit, we squeezed too hard’ says Stephen Crabb - urging Rishi Sunak not to repeat the blunder

Rob Merrick
    Deputy Political Editor
    @Rob_Merrick
    3 hours ago
    21 comments

Harsh benefit cuts are to blame for rising poverty in Britain, a former Conservative Cabinet minister has admitted – as he pleaded with Rishi Sunak not to repeat the mistake.

In remarkably candid comments, Stephen Crabb said the steep reductions in Universal Credit – begun by George Osborne five years ago – had failed to raise wages, as the former Chancellor hoped.

“Five years on, looking back, I would say we took too much money out of Universal Credit. We squeezed too hard,” said Mr Crabb, a former Work and Pensions Secretary.

And he admitted: “That's what gives you a lot of the reasons behind the increase in hardship in this country.”
    The numbers behind Britain’s child poverty crisis

The backbencher spoke out amid rising criticism of the current Chancellor for planning to slash £20-a-week from Universal Credit payments next April.

The football star Marcus Rashford, who forced a climbdown on free school meals, has now thrown his weight behind the campaign to retain the increase put through at the start of the pandemic.

But Mr Crabb warned some ministers saw restoring the cut as a way to start plugging the £40bn black hole in the public finances, without there being “a political price to pay”.

He criticised a “missed opportunity” to help poorer families, when the bleak economic outlook for 2021 was already crystal clear.

“There will certainly be more people unemployed, there'll be more families relying on Universal Credit and more people relying on it for greater periods,” he told BBC Radio 4.

“And the thing about Universal Credit is that the longer you are on it, the harder it is to make ends meet.”
    Boris Johnson overseeing ‘bullying, cronyism and waste’, says Starmer
    Six million households face the £1,000-a-year cut to their incomes, if Universal Credit is reduced again – just as unemployment is expected to soar to 2.6 million, Mr Sunak has acknowledged.

In a further criticism of the government’s anti-poverty record, campaigners have attacked a near-doubling of the number of households hit by the overall cap on benefits.

There were 168,400 households subject to the cap in August 2020 - up from around 77,913 households in February, before the coronavirus pandemic hit.

The limit is set at £20,000 a year for families outside London, and £23,000 for those in the capital – with ministers rejecting pleas for it to be relaxed while the Covid-19 crisis continues.

There are 600,000 more children living in relative poverty since the Conservatives came to power in 2010, official figures show.

That total grew by 100,000 last year alone, leaving 4.2 million youngsters in the UK – or 30 per cent – existing below the poverty line.

Mr Crabb said the Treasury, under Mr Osborne’s leadership, “hated Universal Credit” until it realised it was a mechanism to slash benefits, in comparison with the existing tax credits system.

It only “got behind it” when it “spotted an opportunity for rolling out a cut to the welfare budget”.

phil1965 likes this.
  2. phil1965

phil1965 Senior Member

cunts all of them, they expect people to manage on next to nothing and they can't manage on thousands. Now I do not agree that kids leaving school should go straight on benefits and make a career out of it it's wrong when someone like me loses their job because of illness and ends up going bankrupt because I couldn't get anything out of the system.
    Yes I had a fairly good lifestyle, but then again I worked for it, the problem comes when you suddenly go from almost £2k a week to £2k a month overnight it causes a lot of problems, you work hard all your life and then some snotty kid behind a desk tells you it's your own fault for being so extravagant, cheeky bleeders, I worked bloody hard for my money, regular 15 hour shifts 5 days a week and if I wasn't slogging my guts out in some horrible factory installing machinery I was getting aggro as a dog handler trying to stop criminals.
    These bloody mp's have never done a hard days graft in their life, tossers!

3. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

So instead of just standing on the side-lines bitching about it - do something - become politicallly active !!!