85 Year Old Woman Dragged Away From Anti-Fracking Protest

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by BlackBillBlake, Oct 14, 2017.

1. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

2. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

Very diligent woman. Reading her words I feel that she would give her life smiling to protesting those Fu(ra)ckers.

To be remembered trying to make a difference in what she believed. I'd be proud to be her son.

2 people like this.
  3. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

Conscience Conviction and Courage
    Three words - and actions - that show Peaceful Protesting 50 years on from the Summer of Love survives
    However, when I hear:-
    Some police authorities are publicly refusing to help. North Wales has withdrawn reinforcements which were helping to police the site, with police and crime commissioner Arfon Jones states -"Let them pay for their own security."
    I feel, sets a dangerous example, and "Be Careful what you wish for, - because you may end up getting it" comes to mind.
    - Anarchy can lead to an opportunity for others to exploit - and the consequences of such can be fatal

4. sidsnot

sidsnot Members

THE ILLUMINATI NEW WORLD ORDER IS HERE UK ................our grandads fought to kill nastism talk about turning in their graves...............shame on them that do not comprehend ,,,,,,,,,,,,,soulless none compassionist demonic entities ..

1 person likes this.
  5. WOLF ANGEL

Tis the responsibility of the generation of Youth to Protest, Protect and Preserve that which others fought so hard for
    And of those of aged/Hippie generation to; with conviction and conscience, to show the way - Well done Anne Power

1 person likes this.
  6. BlackBillBlake

I wonder if those policemen have mothers or even grandmothers.

Some folk it seems will do anything for money.

Why should I have to pay taxes to pay for this.....

1 person likes this.
  7. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

The arguments against fracking seem to be fairly lame though.

Magnitude under 2.0 earthquakes? Big deal.

Shale gas, half the Co2 expended for the same amount of coal.

And this 85 yr old is probably really protesting about percieved drop in value of land she owns

8. BlackBillBlake

That's not really my point in posting about this VG. The argumants about fracking are obviously one side of it, and myself I don't see it as the best policy on even the economic level - but putting that aside.

When I see burly policemen whose wages I contribute towards treating a frail old woman in that way, I feel both disgust and a sense that these are simply thugs who will do whatever their masters bid. To protect what? The right of some corporate interest to rip up a bit more of our already raped land to make a few more pounds profit.

If I was a woman and the mother of one of those fucked up cunts I'd give them a slapping to remember no matter how big they think they are. If I was one of their fathers, I'd never speak again. In either case I doubt that idiot thugs so far gone in their brainwashed and moronic servitute would even care.

Babylon.

1 person likes this.
  9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

When fracking was a big deal a few years ago I did a lot of reading into it and I know you've got the opposite sides, but I couldn't find too much bad with what I read. I guess it's drilling and earth instability which is bad.

Personally I don't know why we haven't manufactured huge salt water treatment plants. The world is running low on water and the ocean is getting higher.

Solution. Make ocean water usable.

10. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

The woman was sat in the middle of the road ! I dont know enough about Fracking to argue ( nor would I want to ) about it , BUT
    Imagine the headlines
    " Police stand by as old woman is crushed by lorry " If my Grandmother was daft enough to sit in the middle of a junction I would be glad someone had the sense to move her out of the way

Just Saying ;)

2 people like this.
  11. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

And if Grandma was asked to contribute to more expensive but alternative bullshit ecofriendly solutions rather than shale gas that ultimately up her power bills by 20%.....she'd bitch until there is no tomorrow

12. morrow

morrow Visitor

Actually don't look so bad that picture, or she is feather light in weight.?

No expression on the coppers faces..

I'd much rather have seen a video.. like you say, head lines impressive!

85 year old dragged away..

If they had thrown her over their shoulder, or dragged her by one leg, it would have been news...

1 person likes this.
  13. The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead orbiter of helion

We have to pay to have our freedoms restricted.

14. The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead orbiter of helion

I can't remember where I read it but an expert in geology was recently asserting that fracking isn't actually possible, or too dificult for it to be an economically viable method of generating energy in the UK. Something to do with the complexity of the underground structure of the rock layers; fracking requires that we drill down and then drill sideways, but apparently this is extremely difficult or near impossible to achieve in the UK.

Here is the article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-40953427

1 person likes this.
  15. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Our daughter is a London police officer and it is not an easy job. Fortunately training standards are very high for the Metropolitan police. but in hindsight everyone can think back and ask themselves whether they could have handled the situation differently. In any protest situation, taking care of the vulnerable is a high priority and is placed above arrests for criminal activity, unless the criminal poses an immediate threat to peoples lives.Our daughter now does one shift every week guarding the burnt out shell of Grenfel Tower, which is likely to continue for several more months. People who are quick to condemn UK police should ask themselves how they would react if their boss told them to spend an entire night shift inside a burnt out building where dozens of people had recently suffered a horrific death. Better still, they should move to the Arab States and see how well police treat the public.

16. WOLF ANGEL

Freedom and the right to Protest is a fundamental right to fight for.
    Giving up one's life for a just cause is something that has done many times by many people - it's called conviction
    The reaction of the Police? It comes down to Education, Training and Application
    It is no longer a service to the public and protection of their rights, but more and more these days, an enforcement agency for business needs - Protects it does (although it depends on the political wind of the moment) - Serve it most certainly does not

17. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

age doesnt matter in the eyes of the law

freedom to protest is fine...just dont block the road..dont infringe on the rights of others

she's old enough to have known what would happen if she refused the officers lawful orders...she is just using her age to push her own agenda

she wasnt dragged away for protesting...she was dragged away for her own safety ...and for refusing lawful orders to clear off the roadway

2 people like this.
  18. WOLF ANGEL

As I said 'Dragged away??" - There is an equally effective way to remove for 'Safety' reasons
    As for 'lawful' reasons:-
    The Local/Regional 'Lancashire' Council voted to Ban fracking and; with the threat of withdrawing and withholding funding to the area 'Told' to allow the process by Government intervention

19. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

you speak weird english but if youre debating the word dragging,,it was obviously her choice to get dragged...

she could have walked if she wanted but she obviously chose to break the law and resist...thats what happens when you make those choices

20. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

What's frustrating is that there isn't a one-size-fits-all answer to whether or not fracking is safe in practice. Some of the chemicals involved are dangerous, and people have actually won settlements in cases where fracking has contaminated either their air or their drinking water. Now I do a google search and some of the results are talking birth defects, cancer, and respiratory issues. It seems like there are some really serious problems associated with it. But the other side of that is that there are safety measures that can be implemented to reduce/eliminate the risks. Do we trust them to do it correctly so that we don't all grow a third eye? I'm not so sure.

Regarding the old woman I think it's one of the most horrible things when I see some poor protester getting hauled away, let alone an 85 year old woman. They probably have a legal right to haul her off is the sad part. As Mallyboppa pointed out she might have been in the road. I admit I didn't read enough on this to make an adequate assumption.