8 most common food allergies.

Discussion in 'Food Allergies' started by Willy_Wonka_27, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

just thought i should list the most common food allergies so people know what kinds of recipes to post here.

-soy
    -wheat/gluten
    -milk
    -dairy
    -peanuts
    -tree-nuts
    -fish
    -shellfish

2. sea of grass

sea of grass Member

Thank you kindly, WillyWonka :) We should make this a sticky post - how do we do that? Can we do that? Oh someone, please? :)

3. sea of grass

sea of grass Member

sticky, anyone? :)

4. honeyfugle

honeyfugle pumpkin

the foods in bold are the ones i dont eat, so i should be ok here!

5. Poem~Girl

Poem~Girl Member

soy
    -wheat/gluten
    -milk
    -dairy
    -peanuts
    -tree-nuts
    -fish
    -shellfish---------------------------------------------------------------------------

What about meats
    i am so allergic to like 4 pages long its pathetic

Acidic stuff
    fruits
    potatoes
    tomatoes
    strawberries
    etc

6. verseau_miracle

verseau_miracle Banned

And sugar...i know diabetes and diabetes-like illneses arent allergies...but its so hard for me to cut out and cut down on the sugar:( especially being vegan and reacting also to gluten

Good thread

7. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

For awhile my mother couldn't have anything with tomatoes in it~ketchup, spaghetti sauce, v-8 juice or anything else

8. pegtalay

pegtalay Member

I am allergic to root beer.
    That's all.

People typically don't believe me when I tell them, either. My cousin thought I was joking and slipped it into my drink when we were visiting them and I broke into a bajillion godawful hives.

9. RainbowUnicorn

RainbowUnicorn Member

My dad and I are highly allergic to blue cheese--as long as we steer clear of the stuff, we're fine!

10. BeachBall

BeachBall Nosey old moo

I'm gluten-intolerant.

I've also got a number of lesser intolerances, which were masked by the gluten until we got that out of my system and I was still occasionally suffering from intolerance symptoms.

So far coffee and chocolate have had to go as well (how's a girl supposed to survive without chocolate, I ask ya???) and there's at least one more that I still need to identify.

Mushrooms are beginning to look like a prime candidate, more's the pity ...

11. BeachBall

BeachBall Nosey old moo

Nope ... it wasn't mushrooms ... it was cow's milk (but goat's and ewe's milk products are OK)

12. Mockingbird85

Mockingbird85 Guest

This is interesting reading, I think I may have quite a few allergies, it's hard to narrow it down though.
    Has anyone used anything like this kind of thing to test for allergies? http://www.healthtestingcenters.com/ Someone suggested I do it but I don't want to unless I know it's worth it.
    How did you all find out you had these allergies? if you just have a couple it's easy to narrow it down to what's causing it, but what if you have a lot?

I just want to stop feeling so awful all the time and will happily do anything.

13. BeachBall

BeachBall Nosey old moo

Even with only two, identifying them is a pain. And bear in mind that intolerance, as opposed to allergy, may not show up in any form of tests.

You just gotta try excluding things from your diet for a bit and see if you feel better for not having them in your diet. Try to identify when you feel at your worst, and think what you ate recently ... keep a diary if necessary noting what you eat when, and when you feel bad ... and then see if you can identify any themes or trends. If you have too many and you really can't identify them in this way, go to a total exclusion diet (boiled chicken and rice for EVERY meal, and drinking nothing but water) and after a while start adding things back in. Only add one thing at a time ... starting with things that you don't think are a problem, to build up the variety ... and then note what the last thing you added back was when you start to feel unwell.

14. skip

skip Founder Administrator

some ppl are allergic to eggs. That allergy can be deadly.

Dude111 likes this.
  15. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

I have a reaction to MSG alot of times so I gotta be careful not eat anything that says "Monosodium glutamate" in the ingredients list......

I cant believe they are putting this crap in alot of things again!!! (For awhile it was being blocked)

16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

17. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Oh you poor thing.

It's poison, but it's delicious.

18. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I'm lactose intolerant.

The end.

19. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I was tested for a lactose intolerance but it was negative, the doctor said that doesn't mean dairy has to agree with me.

Personally I feel all this homogeneous stuff they do to the milk causes problems. It's only more recent to do this and I believe our bodies have never had the time to get used to the process.

20. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Weird thing is, I can eat cheese. But milk, cream, ice cream--all that--makes me sick