54% of Republicans Want to Postpone the 2020 Election.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Jimbee68, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

I heard this on Real Time with Bill Maher. (You know, even Mr. Maher concedes, for some people, his show is their only source of information. The fake news certainly isn't going to do it.)

Anyway, Maher said a recent poll said 54% of Republicans nationwide want to postpone the 2020 presidential election. I think voter fraud is the reason they cite. But same difference.

So now we find out the dark horrible truth? Republicans don't even believe in democracy anymore?

I mean, I have always tried to give Republicans the benefit of the doubt. Esp. since I am rather an independent myself. But do away with the election itself? And among the Republican rank and file?

I sincerely hope I am missing something here. I will also try to find a better cite for this. But 54%? Dear Lord!

:) :) :)

2. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

I'm not surprised to see Maher tooting his own horn so loudly, but he's hardly what anyone should consider to be a viable news source since he injects his obvious opinion into everything. And of course 67% of quoted statistics are fabricated on the spot. Maher is a hired clown with extraordinarily bad taste, as he displayed with his Steven Irwin costume a few years back.

It would be interesting to know his source for this claim, but I find it doubtful and far fetched. Consider also that the US is not a democracy, it's a republic of united states. It should be no mystery that republicans wouldn't support a democracy. But that was just a opinion as well and is not supported by any polling in this example. Since I'm old, I don't find much to admire about republicans or democrats.

From what I have seen over the years, both parties lie about each other, routinely break campaign promises and can't be trusted with the nation's resources. Neither side is worthy of the devotion they receive. And both sides operate well above the very laws that would have the rest of us in prison without much debate from a jury.

1 person likes this.
  3. Americunt

Americunt Corporate Hack

I'd like to see the source on that number.

4. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

As I said, Bill Maher said it.

5. Americunt

Americunt Corporate Hack

I mean, I want to know where he came up with it.

6. Meliai

Meliai Banned

7. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

There is a massive difference between postponing an election and doing away with it.

8. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

This is so cool! The best post I've read in years.

LOL!!!...except this one of course which hasn't just been fabricated on the spot

scratcho likes this.
  9. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Oh really?

Like, how long can we postpone it until it gets cancelled? A few minutes, an hour....maybe a day, how about a year? Two? Three?

10. Americunt

Americunt Corporate Hack

Thank you.

"In The Washington Post on Thursday, two professors revealed the results of a poll that asked some Republican voters that question. Using a scientific online survey, the authors asked GOP supporters whether they’d be willing to postpone voting in the 2020 election if President Trump said it was necessary to make sure only eligible voters participated. More than half—52 percent—said they would, and that number bumped up to 56 percent in a scenario in which congressional Republicans agreed with the president."

I wonder how many people total they actually surveyed. I haven't ever heard a single person in "real life" say anything like this. They try to make it sound as it's a nation-wide scenario, vs what is likely a fraction of a fraction of a fraction (etc) of Republican voters. Also, given the methods they outlined in the article, I'm willing to bet they could get the same results from any group of people no matter how they identify (Republican, Democrat, Independent), if they simply change the hypothetical scenario and the authority figure that the particular group puts their faith in.

11. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

So what? Just because a little more than half of a polled group wants something, does that mean they're gonna get it? I wonder how many polled democrats wanted Obama to reelected into a 3rd term.

12. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Wow you are really missing the point and the significance. I can only assume you too are in favor of the ceasing of democracy. Ironically the same thing Obama was accused of doing. Go on blindly touting the party line and throwing Obama's name around.

13. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

A difference, yes, but both would be unconstitutional. From the description of the survey, it should be noted that it isn't scientific, i.e, , a random sampling of national opinion. However big the sample, if it's not random it can't be taken as a true reflection of public opinion or Republican opinion nationwide. It tells us what a majority of 1, 325 selected Republicans think.

14. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Ask them how they feel about nuclear war with North Korea.

15. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

I hope there are more rational Republicans interested in maintaining the Democratic process. But I worry because the party has really changed. There is a lot more hate a lot less critical thinking. They believe those who do not support Trump are enemies not Americans. That's a dangerous line of thinking. With a Republican controlled goverment I just don't know.

16. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I hate to agree with this statement, but it's kind of hard not to.

17. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Then you're assuming wrong.

Should it surprise you that any group of people who like things the way they are, would like to keep it that way for as long as possible? Do you really think 54% of an unnamed source is really going to postpone, if not halt democracy? 54% is not all that significant when you realize that is only 54% of identified republicans, not 54% of the whole country.

Alex Jones used to fear monger about Obama getting a 3rd term. But of course it was all hype and hysteria, just as this is.

18. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

there is no movement to postpone the election by the Republican Party

19. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

If some leftist stooge can find 2 "republicans" who say there's a movement to postpone the elections, expect endless stories about it. The very same was said about Obama.

Face it folks, there are people who have no allegiance to either party stirring up this outrageous shit. Why? Because they hate Americans.

20. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

In democracy? Fuck, all politicians believe in one thing: winning.