40th Anniversary of the Summer of Love!

Discussion in 'Flashbacks' started by skip, Sep 3, 2007.

1. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Supposedly Grace Slick was backstage holding court, but didn't perform. I didn't see her.

2. robspace2

robspace2 Banned

Me and my buddy got real lucky one night by sneaking up the back fire escape ladder at Winterland for the Airplane show. We came in the exit and found ourselves backstage walking around with the groups and for some reason nobody asked us for id-we looked like we belonged there-we went into a small room and Grace was alone sitting on a couch in a very small mini skirt-She was in her 20s and beautiful-There was beer in an ice barrel and I grabbed one-it was the last one and I shared it with her-She asked if there was acid in it-I said no-and we split it-she was real nice and very easy on the eyes-
    I've told this story before because it was such a great night-not only was the show free but I met the star and drank a brew with her.Man' to be wild and crazy again-amazing times!-I see Grace now selling art and she looks like my grandma-back then she looked like a diva-real pretty lady.-I think the drinking grabbed her for awhile there but she seems healthy again.-Todays girl singers just don't seem to be able to hold it all together-Britney and Christine Agulara and a few others' constantly in treatment or court-They don't make em like Grace or Christine Mc Vee or Stevie Nicks no mo. Those women could sing!

3. Ghost of ruins

Ghost of ruins Member

They' ll show the live stream of the evet again next friday... but I don't know when it will start and I want to watch it again. It's very complicated because I live in an other timezone. Can anyone help me?

http://www.2b1records.com/summeroflove40th/

4. skip

skip Founder Administrator

They don't say when it will start, but it will probably be PST, pacific time, which is 9 hours earlier than CET, if that's your zone...

5. robspace2

robspace2 Banned

Skip-I gotta thank you for publishing those photos and the story of your trip back in time-Man' I would have loved to be there-And I only live about 8 hr. drive from the park!
    The link to the Chet Helms page was great and reading about Chet I feel very lucky to have been able to party at his house(Avalon Ballroom) nearly every week.Chet was the MC and always so calm and layed back- never heard him raise his voice- The Avalon Ballroom was' for me a place to learn from. I was 17 in 66' and had been doing Owsley for a year or so and going to the Avalon was like going home. Very safe and secure in there and most of the people were older then me with long hair and the women with long flowing dresses' lots of beads and day-glo painted faces.
    The air smelled like patouchlie oil and pot and most everyone was blasted on acid-with Janis singing and the colors all around and the liquid projection' it was unreal to say the least.
    But' as I was just watching the bits from the event there and reading the tributes to Chet' it made me realize a few things.
    Ya know when you have really come of age as a person?-When you feel like you are able to handle the world around you and you can be of value and mean something to yourself and others?-Some get there by joining the service and some find themselves through going to prison.
    I was lucky enough to have some of the nicest and smartest people in the world around me to help me to calm down and learn to live!-I had these beatniks and "hippys" at the Avalon and as I said' they were older and I learned to be calm and be respectful of others.I walked into the Avalon a stoned 17 year old kid and walked out a man.The Avalon Ballroom and the people there were my place of learning and growing and I thank those folks inside all the time.Yes' the 60s were alot more then drugs' sex and rock and roll. It was a time for change and it started on a one to one basis.-My favorite poster from the time was "May the Sweet Baby Jesus Open Your Mind And Shut Your Mouth"-that about says it all IMO-thanks again for the trip!

6. Yogi Bhairava

Yogi Bhairava Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Skip, I had to be back at work here in La. when this event went down, but on the weekend of July 28th and 29th I attended the 40th anniversary of Monterey. It was cool as heck, with the Jefferson Airplane stealing the show again.

7. robspace2

robspace2 Banned

Wow-they did that again too?-Amazing-who was there and how was it?

8. Yogi Bhairava

Yogi Bhairava Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Man, I had been missing the picks you had on this event, I bet it was fantastic being there. Monterey was really cool as I said, with a really laid back older crowd which I really appreciated, but the speed way thing topped Monterey. I had to be in the Bay area that weekend for a Guru lineage initiation, so I got tickets over the net. I wanted to check out the actual fairgrounds site of the original festival as so much hip music history got rooted there. It was smaller than I thought which was cool as well. I've been driving out to the Haight every summer for the past fifteen years, originally to hang out with Allen Cohen of the San Fran Oracle, at the "Street fair". After my beloved friend died in 2004, I missed a few years but went back the last couple of times. Of course the sixties consciousness is long gone, but I usually go down to the pan handle and get a good samadhi going, attempting to pick up on the astral vibes that still are left by so much good soul tripping in the celestial.
    I have always loved San Fran since wandering around there as a tripping kid in 65' and 66'. I am forever indebted to the freak culture for turning me onto God through LSD. Yeah, Peter Coyote was lame on the history channel, he even said that the psychedelic shop was on Haight street in 64'. Allen had his street fair booth directly accross the street from the site of the shop, and discussing that show which has been out for several years, pointed out that the psychedelic shop was not there until very late 65. Allen sold acid there for Owsley, he should have known.
    All of these facts are really irelevant now; what is relevant it to futher nurture the consciousness sown there that gave so many of us a new lease on life. That is what I've been doing and is why I am a Tantric Sadhu.
    Peace, Love, and Flowers to all of you brothers and sisters, and the God that looks through our eyes. Yogin Bhairava Atmabhoda Sarsvati

9. robspace2

robspace2 Banned

yes' the Psychedelic Shop went in there in 66 I thought-I was on the street then and down at 1090 Page to score weed-Big Brother and the Holding Co. lived and practiced there in the basement-At that time the Psychedelic Shop was the only place of it kind-It was real colorful behind Owsley!!Tracy's Donuts and the Fish and chip joint and all the other places like the Pal Mell Lounge were there for years-
    I haven't been back there for many'many years-no reason but I'd go for another party in the park!-Are they still doing shows at the Avalon?-I heard they were a while ago--Big Brothers site was talking about it-have you checked out the BBHC site?

10. robspace2

robspace2 Banned

The Big Brother site is bbhc.com-enjoy

"Big Brother and the Holding Company was a prime example of a band
    right where whole was greater than the of its parts. You cannot buy or
    manufacture the natural feeling that was in that band. Big Brother
    played from the heart and soul with the goal achieving a direct connection
    with the innermost feelings of the audience." Sam Andrew

Evolving out of the San Francisco rock scene of the 1960s, Big Brother was in the forefront of the psychedelic music movement.

The band was formed by Peter Albin, Sam Andrew, James Gurley and Chuck Jones in San Francisco, in a Victorian mansion/boarding house owned by Peter's uncle at 1090 Page Street in the Haight-Ashbury. That house became the site of Wednesday night jam sessions which were organized by Chet Helms who was the real "Big Brother," naming the band, bringing James Gurley into the fold and later seeing that his old friend Janis Joplin came to sing with them.The first official Big Brother gig was at the Open Theater in Berkeley, January 1966. Within a short time they became the house band for Chet at the Avalon Ballroom and began to develop a loyal following, largely due to the charismatic, pioneering guitarwork of James Gurley. The band had what Sam Andrew callled a "progressive-regressive hurricane blues style," playing such tunes as Hall of the Mountain King, Coo Coo, That's How Strong My Love Is, and Down On Me.

During the winter of 1966, Chuck Jones left the band and was replaced by Dave Getz who played his first gig with the band on 12 March at the Matrix on Fillmore Street. Peter Albin was the main vocalist at this time, and although Sam Andrew helped out with the singing, both men knew that the band needed a singer who could match the group's instrumental energies. Chet Helms remembered a friend from his University of Texas days, Janis Joplin, and proposed that he bring her back to San Francisco, where she had tried to launch a singing career in 1963-1964. Janis came to town, sang a couple of tunes with the band at their Henry Street studio, and was enthusiastically welcomed into the group, playing her first Big Brother engagement at the Avalon Ball room on 10 June 1966. Big Brother had been a loose, ramshackle,experimenting ensemble and now, with Janis, the music became more sturctured, and the band became a family. They moved out of San Francisco, north to Lagunitas in Marin County, found a beautiful house where they could all live and rehearse and settled down to some serious music making.

In August 1966, Big Brother went to Chicago, their first real on the road experience, and they played a month at Mother Blues, a club in Old Town, and recorded their first album at Mainstream Records. It was to be a year before this effort was released and the band went through the winter of 1966 and the spring of 1967 becoming a more professional unit and building an audience. June of 1967 brought the Monterey Pop Festival, a big shift for Big Brother. Janis had learned how to sing in front of an electric band, she became larger than life and her "screamingly mournful vocals and potently sexual stage act," had, as a reviewer noted, propelled Big Brother into the national spotlight. Peter, Sam, Dave and James, strong personalities in their own right, were wise enough to give Janis the freedom truly to be herself, and people responded to the power of the band and to Janis' truly unique voice.

Big Brother acquired a new manager at Monterey, Albert Grossman, who brought them to Columbia Records.where they made their second album Cheap Thrills which was number one on the charts for eight weeks. The music on the album was energetic and driving, the perfect match for Joplin's voice. Guitar Player magazine called James Gurley the "Father of the Psychedelic Guitar," and Rick Clark in the All Music Book wrote "Anyone who thinks Guns N'Roses mastered hard electric blues-grunge hasn't heard Big Brother's James Gurley and Sam Houston Andrew duke it out on tracks like 'Ball and Chain,' 'Summertime,' and 'Combination of the Two.' "

Janis Joplin left Big Brother in December 1968 and Sam Andrew went with her, while Peter Albin and Dave Getz joined Country Joe and the Fish. In the fall of 1969, Peter, Sam, Dave and James resurrected Big Brother with the help of Dave Schallock (guitar), Nick Gravenites(vocals and great songwriting), and Kathi McDonald. one of the best singers ever. The band released two albums Be A Brother (1970) and How Hard It Is (1971), toured for a couple of years and then decided to rest for a while.

In October 1978, Big Brother and the Holding Company played for old friend Chet Helms at The Greek Theatre in Berkeley, but it was not to be until almost a decade later (1987) that they reunmited, adding Michel Bastian on vocals. Since that time, Big Brother have played all over the world and have become, in the process, better musicians than they ever were. This is partly because they have played with some wonderful players and vocalists over the years. On guitar, Tom Finch,Chad Quist, Joel Hoekstra and Kate Russo on violin have been superb, while on vocals, outstanding singers have been Lisa Battle, Lisa Mills and the redoubtable Sophia Ramos.

Recent Big Brother and the Holding Company CD releases have been Do What You Love, the Janis Joplin boxed set on Sony, Live At Winterland and now (2006) the band is preparing a new offering, a live recording of a concert in Burg Herzberg, Germany, with Sophia Ramos and Chad Quist, and containing such tunes as Hold Me, Piece of My Heart, Ball & Chain, Down On Me, Summertime and Turtle Blues. This CD will be the soundtrack for a Big Brother 40th Anniversary tour of the world.

Through a dear friend of the band, Catherine Cavalieri, Sam Andrew met Tim Murphy who has been a godsend. Tim has kept the band working and he goes far beyond the call of duty in handling the somewhat tempestuous and emotional aspects of the artists' lives. There is a renewed sense of excitement and hope with Big Brother today largely due to Tim's help and support.

Come hear the band and you will realize that they are recreating themselves and delivering a dynamic show.

Web Design & Maintenance provided by JonHensley.com

11. robspace2

robspace2 Banned

After leaving BBHC the drummer Chuck Jones sold weed-My first weed!-thanks Chuck!

12. Ghost of ruins

Ghost of ruins Member

Thanks a lot.. CET is my timezone. i only think we are nine hours earlyer than you ;).. So I'll try it with PST :).. hope some other people from europe will enjoy it ,too

13. Ghost of ruins

Ghost of ruins Member

There seems to be a probleme on the web page.. There s' written Temporary DELAY instead of the stream...

14. lovelyxmalia

lovelyxmalia Banana Hammock Lifetime Supporter

Wow! Those are amazing pictures! What I would give to have lived through the Summer of Love...I was not meant to live in the 2000's!

15. dlo24844

dlo24844 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Thankyou everyone who still believes in the Summer of Love.It keeps my hope up.Nothing was said about it here in Auztralia,maybe if there had been a killing spree it would've made the news/current affairs programs.To all my brothers and sisters-May love and peace be within you and around you allways and the stars of freedom shine forever in your mind

16. cosmicdust

cosmicdust Member

I wish that I could've attended the: SUMMER OF LOVE - 40TH ANNIVERSARY festival at the original park in San Francisco, California (GOLDEN GATE PARK), but the Metro-Detroit area, had it's own version of the SUMMER OF LOVE - 40TH ANNIVERSARY celebration, at the: DTE ENERGY MUSIC THEATER (originally called: PINE KNOB in the 70's, as still is called PINE KNOB, by many).

LINK www.pineknobmusic.com

DTE ENERGY MUSIC THEATER (PINE KNOB) is an award-winning AMPHITHEATER venue (part of: PALACE SPORTS & ENTERTAINMENT), and is located in a very beautiful area (north of CLARKSON, MICHIGAN - just west of PONTIAC, MICHIGAN), with thick, deep woods and hills. Just north of the parking area is a barn and farm, reminding one of YASGUR'S dairy farm (the location of WOODSTOCK 1969)!

Inside, there are concessions stands, with an amusement-park, woodland-type of style, color-lighted waterfalls, a waterfall with water coming out of an old car (in the back of the amphitheater hill), and a gourmet restaurant is also there. An excellant setting for a "hip" gathering!

The featured 60's/70's bands were: JEFFERSON AIRPLANE/STARSHIP, QUICKSILVER MESSENGER SERVICE, BIG BROTHER & THE HOLDING COMPANY, MOBY GRAPE and GRATEFUL DEAD's TOM CONSTANTEN!

I bought a souvenir T-shirt, with the following iron-on LOGO:

1967 * 2007 - RENEWAL OF COMPASSION
    SUMMER OF LOVE - 40TH ANNIVERSARY
    JEFFERSON STARSHIP, BIG BROTHER & THE HOLDING COMPANY,
    QUICKSILVER MESSENGER SERVICE, GREATFUL DEAD's TOM CONSTANTEN

This was an excellant selection of 60's/70's bands! They all performed quite well! JEFFERSON AIRPLANE/STARSHIP (with a "new" GRACE SLICK) performed their standard fare: SOMEBODY TO LOVE, WHITE RABBIT, VOLUNTEERS OF AMERICA and MIRACLES, plus some of their other favorites. QUICKSILVER's old hit: COOL AIR was cool!!! BIG BROTHER & THE HOLDING COMPANY (JANIS JOPLIN's old band), had a new "JANIS JOPLIN", named: "CATHY RICHARDSON" (www.Cathyrocks.com), who sounded incredibly close to the original, and some cool moves on stage! She also has her own independent CD's! Many old hippies were impressed by Cathy Richardson's performances! MOBY GRAPE sounded good! Luckily, I also got an "autographed" picture-postcard from Cathy Richardson, as well! Cute, too!

There were an awful lot of old hippies wearing tie-dye! Plus many, young hippies, as well. I swore I whiffed the smell of reefer! A good time was had by all!

Last year, DTE ENERGY MUSIC THEATER had: "HIPPIEFEST", hosted by WAVY GRAVY - the original WOODSTOCK 1969 clown (www.wavygravy.com), plus many original WOODSTOCK 1969 bands, like: MELANIE, COUNTRY JOE McDONALD, CANNED HEAT (drummer) and MOUNTAIN. Surviving members of the HOLLIES, MOODY BLUES/WINGS - Denny, and MITCH RYDER AND THE DETROIT WHEELS. MELANIES's son did some really excellant guitar work! MELANIE commented that she used to perform in the DTE ENERGY MUSIC THEATER amphitheater (in the 70's), when it was known as: PINE KNOB, then someone in the audience shouted: "It still is!". I have a souvernir "tie-dye" T-shirt from HIPPIEFEST, as well.

By attending BOTH concert venues, I got to see and hear as many WOODSTOCK 1969 "originals" as possible!

Old and new hippies usually go for the LAWN SEATS, as it is more WOODSTOCK and HIPPIE-like (plus cheaper). The amphitheater seats are pretty empty at old hippy events at PINE KNOB, but filled-up when popular name bands perform!

The SUMMER OF LOVE -40TH ANNIVERSARY year is almost over - 2007. Now, we can look foward to WOODSTOCK - 40TH ANNIVERSARY festivites in 2009!!!

Peace, love and understanding . . .

17. Scarlet101

Scarlet101 Member

It looks so amazing-i really wanted to do something to celebrate, but couldn't find anyone else up for it, or any sort of event going on over here.

Ah well-in my own world every summer is the summer of love, whether anyone else acknowledges it or not :)

But they are some amazing pictures!

18. homeiswheretheloveis

homeiswheretheloveis Member

man those pictures are amazing

i wish i was there, but i wasn't around at the time, i dont think.

but that would have been totally amazing to see.

19. Amazing Grace

Amazing Grace Member

20. m_maziar

m_maziar Member

Dear Skip, you have awesome pictures man. would you like to share it in another website, your full credits will be along with your pictures. If so, hit me on maziar@jeffersonfamilyphotos.com, by the way we have some galleries about 40th summer of love to you can check them out in www.jeffersonfamilyphotos.com.

Peace.