4 Types of Vegetarians: Which type are you?

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by freedbypeace, Jul 4, 2004.

1. Free as a bird

Free as a bird Member

This is me :

Type 4) Vegans - These are the 'hard-core" vegetarians who avoid all animal products in their diet, such as meats, dairy products, and eggs. The vegan diet rely on lentils, beans, soy products etc..

2. positive vibes

positive vibes Member

im number three and proud of it hehehe.

3. alex714

alex714 To the Left

same here. i wont eat any type of shell fish, just because...no real reason, i just dont like them. but actual fish im not picky with it, i love it.

4. IwantFRUITARIANwife

IwantFRUITARIANwife Member

Some animals eat nectar from flowers which obviously is not protoplasm, whereas vegetables and seeds are made of protoplasm. Does this imply a new category?

5. shinta

shinta Member

Type 2) Lacto vegetarian - Individuals in this group are a step up from the semi vegetarians. They avoid all animal products except for dairy products in their diet.

thats me :)

6. ElChivato

ElChivato SeNioR MeMBeR

Type 3) Lacto-ovo vegetarians - This type of vegetarian diet excludes all meat except for dairy and eggs. Not too different from the previous type.

I'm pretty sure I'm the 3rd kind.

Peace & Love,
    Laini

7. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I switch among all of them (depending on who's fixin' supper). There are also fruititarians (people who follow the diet of gorillas) and within the realm of vegans there are those who do not eat foods that need to be heated (or denatured), there are those who do not eat vegetables that remove the entire vegetable from regrowing (i.e. poke out a potato eye and replant it or lop off the carrot's head and set it back in the ground).
    I'm studying nursing and part of the curriculum has us being open-minded and non-judgemental. I'm no stranger to vegetarians since I started looking into the lifestyle back in '79. As with most aspects of my life, my eating habits are not etched in stone. I eat what I like, decrease the consumption of saturated fat, eat in moderation, remain hydrated and shy away from things that smell funky.

8. Bare Foot Bunny Hugg

Bare Foot Bunny Hugg Member

Im a vegan. its really hard but all i have to do to keep it up is think of all those poor animals that died for no reason. and my friend bri helps me along the way..we are vegans together! watch this video..its what started us on the path. http://meetyourmeat.com

9. Wanda

Wanda Member

It will get much easier! Just keep it up!

10. iscreamchocolate

iscreamchocolate Senior Member

vegan, lacto, lacto-ovo, ovo... their is also a fruitatarian and they only eat fruit that has fallen off the trees

11. iscreamchocolate

iscreamchocolate Senior Member

oh i didn't get the question at first.. I'm a lacto-ovo

12. artful_dodger

artful_dodger Member

I consider myself a partial vegetarian at this point. I still eat fish a couple of times a week. I use a bit of milk in my coffee, and occasionally eat cheese and yogurt. I'll eat store-bought items that contain eggs, but if I'm cooking at home, I'll use soy flour instead. I choose organic foods as much as is possible within my budget, and have cut way down on white sugar. I buy from independent, locally owned food outlets as much as I can.

13. MountainMan

MountainMan Member

i think that semi vegetarian classification is crap. the guy who wrote it probably ate meat. if you eat any meat you are a carnivore, and if you are conscientious of the amount of meat you eat, you are a respectful and conscientious carnivore, not a semi vegetarian

14. Casperthesheet

Casperthesheet Member

I'm a type three

Casper

15. Two Spirits Dancing

Two Spirits Dancing Member

I'm a lacto-ovo Vegetarian. I am working up to becoming a Vegan

Tiff Lennon

16. artful_dodger

artful_dodger Member

I'm going to have to disagree. I think it all depends on your reasons for a conscientious diet: health, sustainability, or environmental reasons, etc.

Beef, pork, and lamb all create more waste and consume more resources than poultry, which has a higher impact than fish. Also, it often comes down to methods. Dairy, for instance, when produced on factory farms uses more resources, creates more suffering and produces more pollution than fish that comes from an organic closed-system fish farm. So, who's further along the path, the lacto-ovo vegetarian who buys mainstream milk, or the pescatarian that sparingly uses organic dairy, or doesn't consume dairy products at all?

I submit that it all depends on where you are going.

I think that "semi" or "partial" clearly state that you aren't all the way there. I've made my dietary choices based on my priorities. It's also a useful designation for when you're telling meat-eaters what you can eat and what you can't. If I call myself a carnivore (which would still be a misnomer, btw... even humans who eat meat are still, omnivorous.. you can't live on just meat), there's a chance that, when eating with people who do eat meat, I'd wind up being served food that I can't eat. "Semi-vegetarian" works better than a five minute-long lecture on my eating habits and the reasons behind them.

I'll probably never satisfy the purists, but I'm okay with that.

You are, however, welcome to call me whatever pleases you most. :)

17. Jabbawaya

Jabbawaya Member

18. asmileneverlies

asmileneverlies Member

After years being vegetarian, I have decided to move a step up, I am a vegan as from today.

19. Wanda

Wanda Member

That's great!

20. Claire

Claire Senior Member

i back that!... yeh after years of on off veganism (whilst being a strict veggie:p) i have been vegan for about 8 weeks.... best move i ever made... stick with it:)