3D studio Max

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by Bassplayerjojo, May 10, 2004.

1. Bassplayerjojo

Bassplayerjojo Member

Hey I was wondering if anyone could reccomend some good websites or maybe books for learning 3d Studio Max, R6?
    I just got this program and am very excited to learn how to use it...but don't know where to begin. Maybe you could point me in the right direction.
    Thanks peeps!
    PeaceLovinSunshine,
    Joanna

2. Flowerian

Flowerian Senior Member

3. Thethirdbenjamin

Thethirdbenjamin Member

Whats your skill level? i worked on 3DS Max a long time ago what i still know some stuff, i was orginally going to take 3D Animation at college but thought otherwise and decided to take Broadcasting TV instead.

Well how far advanced are you?? i can till you the basics unless you are farther advanced then that.

I was waiting for someone to say something about 3D Studio Max.
    by the have you worked with maya before???

4. eat_some_LSD

eat_some_LSD Senior Member

Take a glance over at http://smcars.nd4spdworld.com/forum/. It's centered around vehicle modeling, but there's plenty of tutes in the Tutorials section. ;) You'll have to register to view anything, but if you're getting into modelling, it's a good place to hang out anyway.

5. Bassplayerjojo

Bassplayerjojo Member

Thanks guys! I looked a little at those sites but don't really have time right now. I am a complete beginner at this, my first 3ds max. I can usually play around with programs and figure them out, but obviously 3ds is a little complex. Do they have a 3ds max for dummies book? =)

6. Thethirdbenjamin

Thethirdbenjamin Member

I'm guessing you don't know how to extrude polygons, modeling is a lot harder althought, you can model by grouping simpe objects together, but pixar whouldn't ever do that.

well if you are a complete beginer all tell there are three ways of animating,

all say it from easiest- hardest,

you can click on animate and then as soon as it becomes red use the select and tool to an object, as its the animate button is higlighted.

Under shapes draw some lines and click>animation >object type Draw a path and click>constraits>path constrits

Or the hardest but most precious open it up and play around with keyframs.

Oh and right beside the animate buton, you will see a key that say 0 type in a number and it will go to the frame specified,

for example i click in 100 frames it will take me to frame 100
    right beside it theres a little button called time configuration under end time type in the number of frames you want in your animation and it will include the number of frames added.

one final thing on the left is a little sliding bar that has a number thats the play shuffle, it should have something thats says 0/100 that means its curently at frame 0 for a total of 100 frames

but anyway have you worked with maya before? its almost like max but a lot diffrent, all say in termes of animation 3DS Max and Maya is a lot better then flash.

7. Flowerian

Flowerian Senior Member

Well, that's what you can do with some experience and 2 weeks of time ;)

[​IMG]

8. Brocktoon

Brocktoon Banned

VERY NICE Flowerian!

I also just got me a copy of 3DStudioMax .. and yes.. all the books and tuturials that come with it as well.

Much like FLASH.. I think its amazing and wonderful... but I realised it would take me weeks and probably months before I could really create a good animation or well done picture like Flowerians.

Then I had to admit that I didnt have the patience or need to do so lol!

A helpful and very fascinating site .. which will have all kinds of links to other sites is
    http://www.renderosity.com/

Good Luck!

9. Thethirdbenjamin

Thethirdbenjamin Member

I'd perfer the material map/editor and UV maping thought, but then again there are like a million ways to create things on max.

Good program thought, They used max to create GTA 3 and GTA Vice city and coutless other games.

by the have any of you guys ever work with charater studio before???
    i'm trying to get the bipeds working???

that plus i never came close to completing my sims animation back in high school.