$3 for gas VS $30 for cappuccino

Discussion in 'People' started by squawkers7, Sep 2, 2005.

1. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

What's $3 a gallon gas compared with $30 a gallon coffee?

I traded in my SUV for a hybrid-electric vehicle early last year. I went from 16 MPG to 45 MPG. I only had an occaisional use for its "SUV qualities," and now that gas prices have been so high, I am extremely happy with my decision. One funny thing is that people who complain about gas prices don't complain about the $30 a gallon cappuccinos that they drink every day. I challenge people to think differently about their lifestyles and about making mature decisions rather than self-centered ones. I know some people need trucks for their jobs, but I question the need if you only drive it to the office everyday.

Jason Capriotti, Glendale, Wis.

2. xdaisy71x

xdaisy71x Member

Have you thought about that gas is a natural resource taken from the ground and then sold to you for a price. I wouldn't mind paying for the production and even the laborer but you pay about 5 times the amount it actually takes to get it from the ground, refine it and then sell it to you at the gas station. I don't complain about the gas prices I complain about people getting rich off natural resourses that should be available to everyone and should be shared equally and not hogged up buy people who are rich already.

3. Zoomie

Zoomie My mom is dead, ok?

There's a slight flaw in this logic. I don't drink a gallon of cappuccino.

4. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

well I don't drink cappuccino at all...only coffee, but that wasn't the point.
    I think his point was that while people complain about gas prices going up they will still go joy riding all around & they have no problem with paying extra for other things.

5. Zoomie

I was making a joke, but you are correct. The American economy has been based on the price of oil for years, no one wanted to admit it. If we are to servive this economic crisis (and don't kid yourself, it is a crisis) the entire mindset needs to change. Gas will hit $4 by Feb. 1 and it isn't coming back down.

6. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

people in my area in NH are talking about gas getting to $6 sometime this month or maybe next month. But I can guarantee that they will still be making lots of trips to go shopping every day instead of doing all their shopping once a week or going out leaf-peeping (watching the leaves change to autumn colors) or whatever else they think they need to run(drive) down to the next town for.

7. prankster1590

prankster1590 Member

Thanks to that stupid hurricane we pay 8 dollars a gallon in holland. No shit.

8. Raving Sultan

Raving Sultan Banned

cappuccinos are for yuppy bastards anyway. drink regular coffee

9. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

I'm sure the price of regular coffee has gone up also this week

10. Zoomie

You are correct. $8.79 for a 3 pound can. Told you. America's economy is based on oil. Grab onto something, we're all gonna get screwed.

11. we don't need cappachino for our modern life style, it's a luxury, with modern america gasoline is a nessesity, if you think otherwise you truly are shortsighted

12. Zoomie

Cappuccino, no. Coffee, YES!

So I'm an addict. Sue me.

13. celtgrrl

celtgrrl batty woman

:plows zoomie over: "where?? honey, did you say you made coffee?"...

for more than two years now i have made a long commute to work because i couldn't find anything closer that paid anywhere near it. but now i am starting to think i'll just have to downsize like that anyway. in the end of course i might wind up making the same amount of money. i think it's a pride thing: now i make 17/hr, if i move locally i'll only make 10/hr, something like that...

14. Zoomie

No, but I will tomorrow!

15. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

celtgrrl, where in the world do ya work? I have never made $10/hr in my life ....hell if I had a job that paid $17/hr I would think I was rich.

16. Zoomie

What she does is worth SOOOOO much more than that. She's a paraeducator working with autistic children. They should pay her in BARRELS of diamonds.

17. celtgrrl

celtgrrl batty woman

squawkers, it's not WHAT i do but WHERE i do it, in the greater metropolitan DC area...10/hr is nothing

18. Zoomie

No one said she wanted them, just that it's how she should be paid for what she does. In fact, she despises both diamonds and gold.

Through natural selection, I am a genetic smartass. Welcome to my world.

19. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

genetic smartass....gee we must be related

20. Zoomie

Sorry, I'm often humor deficient outside my own zone.