3 Bodies of Meditation

Discussion in 'Introduction to Buddhism' started by shaman sun, Apr 30, 2008.

1. shaman sun

shaman sun Member

When meditating, part of the language you can use in order to understand the gradual spiritual development are "bodies."

Gross
    Subtle
    Causal

We exist as all three.

What are they?

1. Gross body- meaning the bare physical existence. The biological body. Your heart, blood, nervous system, this rock, that tree. Literal existence.
    2. Subtle - The underlying energy systems, often discussed and treated in Acupuncture, Ki, Chi, Energy, Reiki, etc. This is interwoven with the gross, physical body. Also known as the soul.
    3. Causal - the underlying spirit beneath all things, transcending all objects, both physical and energetic. This is, one could say, the ultimate reality, truth, wei-wei-wei, no-thing and everything.

We exist in all three, and meditation helps us explore and recognize each to a fuller, deeper and greater extent.

When meditating, you often go through each: Follow the breath. You begin to recognize deeper layers of your "Self." Eventually you'll be able to feel your heartbeat in every inch of your body. This is the "gross body" awareness. Then, naturally, the subtle body may be recognized. You will note this sometimes as a tingling sensation in your hands and feet, and a pressure around your third eye. Next, the casual body- this recognition may happen suddenly. The mind is completely silenced, awareness is absolute, beyond form. "Thundering silence," one might say.

All of these "states" are in your awareness, right now. Meditation helps you become aware of each. They are not truly separated, but a flex-flow of interwoven aspects of reality. The more you meditate, the deeper it gets, the more inclusive your awareness becomes of reality.

The "Self," becomes bigger, the ego becomes smaller. The ego, the identity of "I" goes from your person, to the world, to all persons and the universe. Your awareness expands. More on this later... But please pour in the questions, comments and dialogue.

2. Delfynasa

Delfynasa Member

Is this from sitting meditation? Eyes closed and watching the breath? Sorry to be dense about it....
    bb
    Delfynasa

3. Mgmlovespeace

Mgmlovespeace Member

yea i have the same question regular meditation can help you or a different form is needed to achieve the three bodies?

4. shaman sun

shaman sun Member

Hey, let me clarify....

Regular meditation is all that's needed. Following the breath, and once you are in a good state of relaxation and the mind is somewhat clear, begin to bring attention to your body; sensations on your chair, bed, expanding and contracting lungs, your pulse, heartbeat. Feel your toes, feet, ankles, legs, go on up throughout your body. If emotions and thoughts arise, which they will, just bring your attention back to the body. Eventually, bring that attention to your thoughts, your emotions. Don't try to push them away, or over analyze them. Just note they are there. Sometimes, "I am feeling _____" or "I am thinking..." can help you. It's like sitting in a room with somebody and simply accepting their presence; accept the presence of all your thoughts and feelings, see how they react, an in turn, accept that too.

This covers all 3 bodies eventually, as we get into deeper and deeper meditation.

5. P.e.D.e.y

P.e.D.e.y Member

is it also good to hum or chant during meditation,so that the vibrations help fluctuate the body?

6. shaman sun

shaman sun Member

Hey there. This is a nice article that describes different kinds of chants you can do. Particularly "Om" is a favorite, and "Ah" is well known. They sort of bring a divine "all-being" (Om) with the creative manifestation (Ah). It's nice! If you have more questions, let me know and I'll try to give you more tips on the practice.

PS, sometimes having a singing bowl can help one's meditation practice.

7. Paisley Skye

Paisley Skye Member

i'm getting it, except you mentioned something about a "third eye". what exactly is that?