$2399?????

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by Vanilla Gorilla, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

That it still works doesn't suprise me. The biggest concern is safety. If your browser isn't up to date there it doesn't matter that your firewall or virus scanner is.

2. Asmodean

I'm also primarily (but not only) interested in the South of the states. But don't worry @neonspectraltoast , the midwest also attracts me :) I want to see and experience a lot of prairie, plains and desert. And see some old frontier stuff. I always thought a big roadtrip roughly from Nashville to L.A. or San Francisco would be it. But places like New Orleans and now Charleston SC would seem a lot of fun to start with. With the latter I could go via Asheville too :p
    But to be frank, i would also dig the northern states I'm sure. At first instance and since one would make decisions Id go with a southern trip from east to west though

3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

The "Midwest" which is actually like "mid East, north and centre" no wonder y'all thought you made it to like India with that sort of geography. :p

4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

$US1599.99 for the 1TB version from AT&T

Which at the moment is $AU2244

Your VAT is 5 to 10 % in most states

Sales taxes in the United States - Wikipedia

Ours is 10%

But its not just about sales tax, extra cost for transport, and economies of scale, theres only 25 million vs 330 millon of you, spread over roughly the same size space

5. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Most of the updates are purely to optimize performance on new operating systems. Manufacturers undoubtedly work alongside one browser company (who probably pay them) to make their browser the default. Then the others have to play 'catch up'. It is a huge 'cut throat' business. Threatening you that other devices are insecure is all part of their game.
    We simply back our files up to an external drive regularly. Then in event of a problem, we either re-format or replace the hard drive and reload the OS and our files.
    Large mechanical hard drives have multiple disks and are prone to constant failure.
    I am not sure how this would work on phone type devices, the drive failure should not be a problem since they are solid state.
    I only use my phone for voice calls, since my work in the engineering and medical field needs to be carefully checked while I am sitting at a desk, rather than travelling or socializing.
    No doubt your emails are still on the mail companies server, so provided that you regularly save any pictures to your main computer system, having to reformat the mobile device should not result in the loss of data.
    Sent emails may however be a slight problem. One solution is to copy them to yourself, so that they will always retain in your web-mail inbox. This is also useful when you replace any mobile devices or you are working from another computer.
    Jane has to do that all the time when working from home, since her email address is ".gov.uk", so she is strictly audited.

6. Ha! My iMac was cheaper.

Stick with a plan that you don’t have to pay upfront.

7. Honestly, there's not too much of interest to do in the Midwest. Just miles and miles of cornfields in all directions.

8. Asmodean

9. Oh yeah, I forgot about wheat.

10. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Yeah, paying twice as much on a plan for 3 years, much better idea

11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

What about.... Like...

Old Western towns? Like deadwood and stuff is there stuff like that around?

12. That's more like the Southwest. I visited Billie the Kid's grave down in New Mexico. That was cool.

I guess in the Midwest there is Native American stuff, though. Like the Black Hills. And there's the badlands. Both of those are in South Dakota. Most of it is just prairie as far as the eye can see. I would definitely recommend the Black Hills area, though. I had a lot of good times there. There's all kinds of caves and Native American stuff.

Asmodean and Irminsul like this.
  13. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I've done Buffalo Bill grave. :p

I like mountains and stuff to look at and walk through so I know the countryside would be nice to see, well it looks that way on google earth atm.

14. I've always loved the Great Plains. Even though the majority of the time there's nothing to see but the horizon. Some people say Iowa's really pretty. That's where I live. There are areas where the hills are really fun. It's great fun when you're driving your car out on some backroad over the hills. You totally can't see what's coming over the horizon. It used to freak my ex-girlfriend out. I just laughed. We used to go out in the hills at night and get high and drive around.

15. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Oh hey there's a Speedway on Iowa! :)
    I've won a sim race there before and came 3rd there on Monday. :p

I think it's owned by Rust Wallace. It's a good shot track I wish would be on the proper schedule but they get lower series races there a lot. And Indy.

16. Yeah, Iowa's big on racing...and all things motors, basically. Like, anything that has a motor. You think it's all tractors and shit, but it runs the gamut from cars to bobcats. They're just wild about this stuff. Me, I've never been into it.

Irminsul likes this.
  17. desert-rat

desert-rat Senior Member

For my smart phone , it was around $250 US . A Moto something . My p.u. I got used for $1500 . For a gaming pc you can get the parts and put togher some a lot cheeper . Most stuff is plug and play these days , mother board ,cpu, video , sound cards , hard drives , memory , ect. I think just about ever thing you need is on amazon . What I am making this post from is an old lap top I got for like $15 , hard drive and memory about $25 . Not fast enough for realy hard core games , but I am not in to that kind of games . I use Linux Mint . Linux dosent have the really fancy games , but its all for free .

18. Asmodean

I'm certain I'd love visiting Iowa and South Dakota. The great plains have always appealed to me. Both nature and history

19. I've always loved it out here. Seems kind of weird to others, I suppose. Just great big fields going on for as far as the eye can see.

Driftrue and Irminsul like this.
  20. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Out here!
    We like starting fights
    Out here!
    We have darker nights
    Out here!
    Know as the wind blows
    We ridin
    :D