21st Century Doors.

Discussion in 'Music' started by bobbyellis, Aug 27, 2005.

1. bobbyellis

bobbyellis Member

The ruling on the Doors case came in (maybe a while back) and the 21stCentury Doors have changed their name and are now called 'Riders On The Storm.' I kinda like it alot better. Wonder if Jim would've approved?

2. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

I doubt it.

3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Luckily for them it doesn't matter a thing what he wouldn't approve or not.

4. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

No, he would not have.

As much as I hate him, I respect him for never selling out while he was alive. Anybody who likes the 21st Century Doors or whatever they're called is pissing on Jim's grave everytime they listen to them, go to one of their shows, etc etc.

5. MistyMountainTop

MistyMountainTop Member

I don't think he would have cared, seeing as how he was a poet and not a rock star. Plus, if he cared about The Doors that much, he wouldn't have moved to Paris.

6. Aerosolhalos

Aerosolhalos Member

I like some of Morrison's writings, but I think treating him like some lofty literary figure rather than a rock musician is a tad stretching it. You're probably like 13-16, right Misty Mountain Top? I'm not trying to be a dick, but I pulled the same thing when I was younger and let me tell you trying to go around English majors and teachers with Morrison's poetry as literature is going to generate a lot of laughs. If you're seriously interested in a lot of his writings, check out his main influences like Blake and Rimbaud.

7. bobbyellis

bobbyellis Member

True, I wouldn't put Morrison books on the same shelf with other great poets, but I think as far as rock and roll goes he was pretty good. However Jim did surround himself with great creative musicians and the Doors worked together very well as a unit,...remove Jim and its just not the same anymore. I think 'Riders On The Storm' has a right to continue playing their music and carring on w/out Morrison. After all the music does belong to all the Doors not just Jimmy alone.

8. DejaVoo

DejaVoo stardust

well im glad the rest of the doors members are still tryna keep their legacy alive...(even tho they dont have too, the doors are my favorite forever..)

but uh, jim morrison once said in this interview SOMETHING like this( i dont remeber word for word at all)...
    "yea ray.john and robby are really good,they shud make an album without any lyrics..which arent that imporant anyways"

but of course, the thing about singers in a band...u cant really replace em. they have their own style, uniqueness, voice and presense. the other members who play the instruments, of course be replaced and nobody wud notice THAT much. (even tho there is some reeeeeeeeealy good guitar/drums/organ/etc players that CANT be replaced cuz they are so damn good...) know what i mean? fuck i know this makes sense but im kinda stoned so its hard 2 explain dammit. lol

9. Oz!

Oz! Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I don't think he woulda given a shiny shite....did he ever really care about anything other than his next drink?

10. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Well, I imagine he would have before he started drinking heavily...

But, whatever... doesn't really matter much now. I agree, Jim never really tried to sell out or anything, but I'm starting to get irritated with the doors... and sometimes led zeppelin too. Some people never seem to know of any other good music. Yes, they're great, but there's great stuff still around. Hell, I like Gov't Mule more than the two.

11. blueeyedson

blueeyedson Member

it's really not about Jim anymore. if they want to change the name to Riders On The Storm it's gonna have nothing to do with the Doors music, or with Jim.

12. scents&subtlesou

scents&subtlesou Member

21st Century Doors blows.....the Doors was amazing....John Densmore, RObby Kreiger, Ray Manzerick, and Jim Morrison, they formed the four headed beast that took LA and the world by storm...no other band has come out of LA with this kind of staying power....every other band was part of some fad, that no one relates to anymore, but the DOORs were timeless.....

13. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Well yeah, Jim Morrison is Jim Morrison, not the doors.

14. Chris_mate

Chris_mate Member

I saw a 21st century The Doors concert at the end of last year here in Sao Paulo Brazil. They are excellent man absolutely amazing, people always put them down because Jim is not around but what can you do... he is not, but if you dig the Doors and want to see them live you can still catch 2 of the 4 band members playing what i consider to be the best psychedelic music ever of course watching the entire Doors band would be cool but this is the best you can get and they play all the classics from the 60´s and 70´s... people say Doors in incomplete or not even The Doors without Jim but to give you guys an example the most famous Doors song is Light My fire and Jim didn’t even write it... it is Robby’s song ! The whole show is a trip especially on acid hi hi hi !!

15. blueeyedson

blueeyedson Member

I disagree...EVERY other band? the doors the most timeless?
    the doors are a good topic on these forums, so many different opinions

that's the greatest thing about music though...eveyone has an opinion and nobody is ever wrong

16. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

yes, thats why The Doors made psychedelia. because nobody before them had attempted to. nobody at all.

the reason that The Doors have stayed popular long after so many better psychedelic rock bands have been forgotten was because they become uber-widely known with of "Light My Fire" and "Break on Thru."

you should do some studyin'... :rolleyes: