21 Years in a 1973 Dodge Van

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by TwoDogs, Mar 9, 2008.

1. McLeodGanja

McLeodGanja Banned

I live in the bible belt of Holland at the moment, and I occasionally cycle past people in horses and carts on the way to work. It can be quite romantic actually, cycling past an old wooden windmill on an old second hand opafiets. I think though that they are in transit from or to their luxurious country ranch.

When you consider that the modern world is but a microscopic blip in the great ocean of time, it makes you think that this kind of thing might become more commonplace. I'd like to see the human race evolve and emerge into something greater more knowlegdable, but sadly I think we are probably going to fuck everything up with our greed and lack of foresight.

What is more important to me than money or possessing things is being fit and strong and that is what i mostly try to invest my time in, to varying degrees of success. In any case if I were to venture forth into the great unknown I should probably cut back on the beer.

2. TwoDogs

TwoDogs This space for rent. Lifetime Supporter

I didn't realize that Holland had a Bible Belt. Learn something new every day.

Sounds like you've got a pretty good philosophy. Over here...there won't be any "evolving." People are too caught up in hating the other 50% of the population. Democrats vs. Republicans, atheists vs. those with religion, etc. It doesn't matter what you believe in...you can't make the world a better place with hatred. Myself...I don't give an obese rodent's gluteus maximus what someone's political or religious beliefs are just as long as they don't push their opinions on me.

3. Chunk

Chunk Member

Well at the price its at now unless you can do all the work on it yourself personally I wouldn't bother, if you paid to get it all fixed up it would probably cost more than just getting one in better condition.

As for this regardless of whether its true or not petrol prices are going to continue going up. I've been looking into electric vehicles but at the moment they are not practicle unless you have a permenant home because they take so long to charge.

I really like the idea of having a couple of horses and a cart, if you had a good knowledge of wild foods you could live absolutely free with this.
    And you would have more room in a cart that in a van.

[​IMG]

4. sunshine gal

sunshine gal Member

Hey 2dogs. Haven't heard from u in awhile. Hope things are well 4 u. I really enjoy chatting with you. I know you are not on here much...well...next time u see the moon think of me...(OREO)...and I shall think of you....

5. TwoDogs

Hey. Yeah...I've had a lot on my mind lately. Been sort of neglecting this thread too.

6. sunshine gal

sunshine gal Member

I'm online if u want to instant message me

7. young_hippy_4:20

young_hippy_4:20 Member

two dogs, this might sound rude. but dont you ever get lonely for a woman?

8. Chunk

Chunk Member

I think TwoDogs does have a lady friend that he sees from time to time, I'm sure he mentioned her in this thread somewhere, but I might be wrong. :confused:

You should read the thread from the beginning if you havn't already, theres a lot of interesting stuff and photos e.t.c.

9. sunshine gal

sunshine gal Member

2 dogs where r u????????????????

10. Chunk

Chunk Member

Maybe the aliens got him... :conehead: :reddevil: :ack2: :troll:

11. FireflyInTheDark

FireflyInTheDark Sell-out with a Heart of Gold

LOL, a conehead icon...

12. TwoDogs

Just got back from a week's get-together with my California Hippie Chicklet. We hit Laughlin, Nev. where she hit for $1500 on a quarter slot machine. We then went to Temple Bar on the Arizona side of Lake Mead and spent four days. We swam with the dogs, fished and I grilled my World Famous "J.C.'s Jalapeno Cheeseburgers." We had a great time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. xexon

xexon Destroyer Of Worlds

Hey Amigo,

Nice pics. I love the country but can't stand that heat. Its only 50 here right now. About 45 by morning. I still sleep with the fan on.

Not bad for mid-June.

x

14. McLeodGanja

McLeodGanja Banned

Man those pics are beautiful.

15. FireflyInTheDark

FireflyInTheDark Sell-out with a Heart of Gold

This is such a great thread. I so look forward to your updates and all of your beautiful pictures. Take care of yourself. :)

16. Heavenly3lues

Heavenly3lues Member

Just finished reading all 16 pages for the first time and all I have to say is.... WOW!!! What an inspirational thread. I stumbled upon it doing some research for my upcoming trip. I am in Michigan and getting ready to take off on my bicycle for Rothbury Music Festival, which I am working. From there I will be heading to Minnesota for another music festival and then into the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and back home. I will be on the road for 2 months. You, my friend, are living my dream! Except for the fact that I would prefer to be in the mountains, not the desert. If my trip goes well this summer, I will be headed out West possibly next summer. I would love to stop to Arizona and learn some things from you. As soon as I get my college loans paid off (what a rip-off), I want to head out for a life on the road. I graduate in the fall and will need to work a couple years to pay everything off.

17. oysterhead

oysterhead Member

Great thread 2dogs, I have really enjoyed reading it. Keep it coming. Stay safe out there

18. TwoDogs

Thanks FITD. I've been trying to cut back on the gasoline usage and haven't had internet access for a bit. If I stay out in the boonies for two weeks at a time I can make a tank of gas last almost two months.

19. TwoDogs

You're certainly welcome. I love showing off the countryside out here. There's plenty of mountains. There's all sorts of Nat'l Forest in the mountains at 5000-8000 feet or so. Nice and cool in the Summer. All within a 50 mile drive from where I am.

20. TwoDogs

Man...the Cottonwood/Clarkdale boonies would kill you then. It's been a nice cool 105 to 108 here. It's nice to have a river 3/4 of a mile down the wash from where I stay, though. The climb back up to my hilltop is a sweaty one even after playing with the dogs in the water, unfortunately.