21 century Horror Movies Suck

Discussion in 'Horror Movies' started by wonderboy841, Aug 23, 2005.

1. wonderboy841

wonderboy841 Member

I have a question has anyone ever seen a scary movie since freddy that was acutally scary?

2. kif

kif Member

High Tension, Saw, Premonition just to name a few. And what was so scary about Freddy? I found that to be more of a comedy/slasher flick.

3. Jesus the Jedi

Jesus the Jedi Senior Member

original nightmare on elm street was pretty sick, then it became the stupid comedy/slasher, and hrmmm, cant think of any straight up horror movies but signs packed a few jumps.

4. FrozenMoonbeam

FrozenMoonbeam nerd

the japanese version of the Grudge (i think it's called Ju-on?)... anyway, the ORGINAL version - not the piss poor remake. the orginal film was pretty damn terrifying.

5. kif

kif Member

I saw Ju-On before The Grudge was released in the states and the original creeped me out. The only part of the remake that I thought was good was the beginning when the girl climbed into the crawl space inside the closet. She did a turn around with her lighter and when she came back around all you could see was a faint, pale face then it jumped out at her. Good stuff!

6. Bella_Donna

Bella_Donna *Femme Fatale*

I'm a huge horror movie fan but I also feel that newer horrors have lost that good scare. Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Black Christmas, when I was little, those flicks scared the hell out of me. Now, everything is predictable. They seem far too focused on what special effects they can use than what will scare 'em good?

7. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

People don't like horror movies.

They much prefer to think of themselves as "hard" for watching a horror flick which is actually a comedy laced gorefest, puerile in the extreme.

The 70s made damn good horror films.

8. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

all century horror movies suck
    with a few exceptions

9. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

Horror movies are never scary... they're funny.

10. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

Wait I should have said laughable.

Honestly, anyone who can take something like Night Of The Living Dead or The Exorcist seriously is ... I don't know, it's just hilarious to me!!

11. Duck

Exorcist is fucking awesome
    do not diss the Exorcist in anyway.... I will kill myself and haunt you for it
    but yeah, Night Of The Living Dead is a joke

12. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

lol isn't so sexist that movie? Look at how weak and stupid the women are... my favorite scene is when the little girl is coming for her mother, and it takes her like 5 minutes to get to her, and the mother doesn't move, she's just HAAA, HAAA, sweetie, listen to, NOOO...

13. Jesus the Jedi

watch wait until dark and tell me thats not scary.

and sir irongoth, i think most people watch scary movies because they like to be scared, i personally love the feeling.

14. Therefore...

Therefore... Antidentite

Yeah, Wait Until Dark is pretty creepy. Now, I can't really be scared by movies because they're just movies. But I remember back in the day that Alien freaked the hell out of me. I love space horror.

If I want to be scared, video games do a much better job than movies. I'm much more invested in what's going on when I'm playing a game. It's the feeling of dread that freaks me out the most.

15. Duck

I love the part when she bitchslaps her mom into the wall....
    wait was that unrelated?
    sorry...

16. kif

kif Member

Doom 3 and Resident Evil 4 are perfect examples. I know exactly what your talking about. The mood and the atmosphere, especially if you have the privelage to play in DTS or Dolby Surround II.

17. Therefore...

Therefore... Antidentite

That's true. Surround sound just makes everything freaky as hell.

18. Jesus the Jedi

man i returned resident evil 1 for the gamecube only 2 or 3 days after i got it, it was to scary for me, i would play for maybe 20 minutes at a time and turn it off.

19. kif

kif Member

Resident Evil 4 really had my nerves on edge, played it at night with the lights out in surround sound taking bong rips in between pause breaks. I love that game, I want it back, I need to play it again.

20. Therefore...

Therefore... Antidentite

I remember getting pretty drugged out and playing Silent Hill 3 late into the night. That game got pretty fucked up.