2020 Election

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Deleted member 42017, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Tulsi Gabbard announced a presidential bid.

I actually like her as a person. She represents a better side of the DNC. It's too bad much of her party hates her guts, and I don't see her getting very far in the primaries.

I wish she'd run in 2024 instead.

2. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

What Bernie still has going for him is integrity, but he's facing new headwinds besides his age: allegations of sexism and harrasment by his campaign, and preemption of his protectionist position by the Donald. I think I agree with you about Warren thriving on conflict, and she has the Pochahantis thing to deal with. But these things will sort themselves out in the debates and primaries.

3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I like her too. She has integrity, intelligence, and common sense. And I always like the idea of vets serving in office because they're generally not as gung ho to sacrifice human life for war profits

Maybe you can do the Democrats a solid and vote in the Democratic primaries for her ;)

4. Bernie came from rallies in backyards to filling stadiums with bigger, more enthusiastic crowds than Hillary could dream of and inspired a whole new generation of people to vote. And he destroyed, according to Clintonites, her chance at election, nearly winning the nomination himself. Many still think his loss is because of the collusion of the DNC and the Clinton campaign. Biden is 78. Bernie is 79. But, for some reason, Bernie is too old to be taken seriously?

Bernie is now, just as he was then, the only candidate with a realistic chance of beating Trump. But he's the little guy, and Democrats don't support the little guy by any measure. Still if he runs, I will back him 100%. And he should run, because now, more than ever, progressives need a leader.

pineapple08 and WritersPanic like this.
  5. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

If she lasts long enough in the primaries to reach my state, which hosts it very late in the game, I would carefully consider the possibility of doing so. Admittedly I still have more research to do on her and her policies before i do something like that. I might do it to rearrange the ugly face of the DNC in their current abominable existence. I do like her stance on the Saudis and the Yemen war. While I don’t like the Democratic Party at all, if she became high profile democrat, it’s possible she could drastically improve the quality of the party. For now, I’d prefer Trump finish out the next 6 years. And she can come around later in 2024.

6. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

If Biden runs, he will beat trump.

7. Meliai

Meliai Banned

^i dont know about that

Unfortunately with gerrymandering it is going to make it difficult for a democrat to win period, as became apparant when Hillary won the popular vote but lost the election.

I dont see Biden carrying anymore votes than Hillary because he's the same type of centrist, neo liberal candidate.

For the Democrats to win theyre going to need an extra edge to pull the votes Hillary got in 2016 and then some. They'll need to be able to win the blue collar votes that all went to Trump in 2016....and I think the only way to do that is with a candidate floating FDR-esque ideas and policies that will benefit blue collar workers...and they'll have to be able to sell them, to make said blue collar workers see beyond the oft repeated catchphrase "free stuff"

tumbling.dice likes this.
  8. Meliai

Meliai Banned

And also it would help if the candidate was inspiring enough to get millenial and gen z voters to the polls, which I dont think Biden is. At all, even remotely lol.

WritersPanic likes this.
  9. deleted

deleted Visitor

10. Things are getting interesting. Howard Schultz, who made a name for himself be turning 6 Starbucks's coffee shops into 28,000 of them in like 60 countries, wants to be the "Trump" of the independent side, leaning left. The concern is that he'd turn out to be like Ross Perot who siphoned votes away from GHW Bush and blessed us with the Clinton Machine.

While it may seem early in the game, it really isn't. Having no clear 2020 offering to depose Trump is not helping democrats. And the rift that has Beto (who gives good dental) and Bernie (no, it's not mold) on the ticket, presumably at the top, is not helping either.

What I really want to know though, is WHO will be the republican who runs against Trump in 2020? It would be precedent-setting, but I think there are enough RINO party sellouts to make at least 1 challenger worthy of the dance. Maybe a military hardass. Or a weenie.

11. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

12. Told ya a bunch of billionaires would start running. If this country had any decency, it's be Bernie for the Democrats all the way. There's already been something published about how Wall Street wants Harris or Biden and definitely not Bernie or Warren, though, so it's going to be another uphill battle all the way. It's really just unfortunate. And it's unfortunate that the Democratic base doesn't fully comprehend what they're missing out on by not having a president like Bernie or Warren. The United States could have so much respect in the world. Fuck, we'd practically be edging towards utopia.

Beto hasn't even announced a candidacy, and I highly doubt he will. He'd be trounced. I don't know what he's going to do, but he's way too fresh faced to just suddenly make a run for President.

I know Romney plans to make another bid. I think the Republican race is going to be pretty tight, actually. Republicans aren't even that fond of Trump, I don't think. Sure, they always stick by their man, but he is too much of a maverick for them. He's too much of a wildcard to be the establishment candidate they really want.

Right now the Democrats are all in a fever over police officer Kamala Harris. I'm just anxiously waiting for Bernie to make his bid. And I kind of hope at this point Hillary makes a bid, too, because I think it will be hilarious to see all the uptight ninny liberals split between Harris and Clinton. Democrats definitely have an uphill battle. Which would be easily surmountable if they would just support Bernie Sanders (there's really no good reason not to.) Like I said, just waiting for Bernie to make his bid. He is wise, though, and spends time calculating things before he rushes to sudden judgments. At this point he probably still doesn't know if he's running.

WritersPanic likes this.
  13. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

trump said, in an interview with the NYT, he fears Kamala. I would too if I were him.

Maybe a Kamala/Beto ticket.

14. Visexual

Visexual Member

I think the only chance the Dem's had was for millions of Dem's to change their registration to GOP and vote for anyone running against Trump in the GOP primary. But I think the GOP anticipated that possibility and recently announced that the party may just not have a primary in 2020.

15. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I wont personally vote in the primary for anyone who takes corporate donations. But I do think Kamala is the best chance right now and I would vote for her in the general. She's smart, tough, and will make Trump look like an idiot in debate

16. I don't think she nor anyone else pushing the idea of "Medicare for all" has a chance since it puts their math skills on full display. Regardless of the cost of "Medicare for all" (which is more money than the country even has) the US does not have enough actual doctors, nurses or hospital beds to accommodate all of the citizens of the US (legal or otherwise).

Both she and AOC are going to learn a hard lesson from the rich people they have targeted for punitive taxation. It's been tried before and the rich people always come out on top, while the junior members/senators who dare to take them on end up looking like fools, dropping out and laying low. Others, like "Health Security" maven Hillary Clinton, are shrewd enough to ride the right coattails into office.

It didn't work against Obama or Trump, so maybe her formula was just as flawed. Harris also has a history of backing down on pet issues like prison reform (she was right, and STILL got shut out). Like it or not, the next president will be an asshole. THAT is who wins office these days. Even money isn't the factor it used to be and "buying an election" is a phenomenon that's fading fast.

Some of that is due to millennials coming of age to vote. They can't be fooled by the same stuff that has fooled generations of Americans. There's just too much information out there and the newest voters are very good at digging up dirt. They're even protesting Pelosi ffs and she's supposed to be a "queen".

17. Meliai

Meliai Banned

The numbers are there for medicare for all, healthcare would be 2 trillion dollars cheaper over the next..however many years, I cant remember, with a medicare for all system. This has been studied. Single payer is more cost effective. The US actually pays more for healthcare than other nations with a single payer system

I dont really feel like arguing healthcare but I also couldnt let it go because there's so much misinformation out there

soulcompromise likes this.
  18. I'm not saying that it's impossible to finance it, only that even with the money we do not have the infrastructure. And with each added human that infrastructure is rationed more.

The only government healthcare I ever experienced was in the Navy. It seems to have kept me alive.

19. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I can't get excited about the primaries at all honestly. I haven't ruled them out altogether, but I feel like there are going to be so many democratic candidates that it will be weird once the votes are in and the final candidates selected. I definitely will be voting in both the primaries and the general, but I feel like my vote matters less in the primaries. And I've sort of already decided to be supportive of whoever democrats elect in the primaries. Maybe I shouldn't be letting on... lol

20. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I read something today about tax overhauls and that the possibility of a high tax on the .1 % who make over 50 million is on somebodies agenda; i can't remember whose. Anyway... with something like that I think it's possible. I don't imagine those footing that part of the bill will be very enthusiastic about democratic candidates in the coming election.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.