2020 Election

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Deleted member 42017, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tullian

Tullian Member

I have just started looking at political threads here. Are there really hippies, present and/or past, who support Trump? Total contradiction.

Tishomingo likes this.
  2. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

Sounds like you must have played hooky during the class where they teach graphs. Unless you never went to school? Do you even understand how a graph works? Do you know we can chart political changes on a graph on a daily basis? Do you know that political changes and sentiment can be documented on a graph just like economic changes? Do you understand this is America and it is my country and I'll use a graph when I feel like it?

Tishomingo likes this.
  3. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

It depends on how you define "hippie"--sex, drugs, rock n' roll" or "peace, love and understanding".

wrat1 likes this.
  4. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

One interesting development is that recent polls show Trump losing support among seniors, previously a key part of his base, especially in Florida.
    ‘It’s a big, big swing’: Trump loses ground with white voters
    POLL: Trump Loses Support Over Woodward Coronavirus Tapes, War Dead
    Demographic shifts since 2016 could be enough to defeat Trump. But it’s complicated.
    The Woodward interview and his remarks about the military cost him big time, and his performance in the recent debates didn't help. The trend started over three months ago, apparently in response to Trump's handling of the virus, when:
    "The most recent national Gallup survey found that Trump’s approval rating among seniors was 47 percent from late may to June compared to 51 percent from January to early May, reflecting a four-point drop. And a series CBS/YouGov polls released on Sunday revealed that former Vice President Joe Biden is “making inroads” with seniors in states like Arizona, Florida, and Texas “who have voted Republican in stronger numbers in these states in recent years” because of their dissatisfaction with the president’s handling of the Coronavirus pandemic.

In Florida, for instance, the CBS/YouGov poll found that Trump only has an 8-point lead among seniors, which is “just half of his margin among them four years ago.”

Nearly every national in the past month has found Trump trailing Biden with seniors, a group that reportedly favored Trump by 8 points in 2016." This last is from Breitbart, so it must be true. Unlike younger voters, seniors have a record for high voter turnout.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  5. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I voted by mail. Biden/Harris for the win!! ;)

Lynnbrown and Tishomingo like this.
  6. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Democrats have another problem on their hands, Cuomo about to shut down parts of NY again, which Biden will have to support, sending the message that if Biden wins he will be trigger happy on lockdowns again

NY was recording 1000 deaths a day in April, averaged 6 a day last week

Total nonsense to lock down again

7. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Regardless of how you personally feel about Trump, you have to admit everything he’s tried has failed such as trying to divide the nation by race, or claiming to be the law and order president.

In 2016 he was an unknown, in 2020 you either love him or hate him.- most hate him.

Lynnbrown and Tishomingo like this.
  8. Tullian

Tullian Member

That's a totally correct thought. All six are required to be a hippie IMO, not necessarily appearance.

Tishomingo likes this.
  9. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

One of the odd things about the 2020 election campaigns is that so little is being made of what I consider to be the most important issue of all--Trump's assault on the integrity of the election in particular, and our governmental institutions in general. So much emphasis is being placed on results that process is thrown out the window. Trump would not commit to supporting the outcome of the election. He says that an important reason for Amy coney Barrett to be put onto the Court is so that she can help decide the election, which he anticipates being thrown into the Court. That's just wrong on many levels, and a threat to our system of government--especially the Supreme Court as an impartial arbiter of the Constitution. Yes, we know some justices have liberal inclinations, some conservative, but they're not supposed to be political hacks. There is no reason to think that mail-in voting is so inherently open to fraud that mail in ballots should be disregarded. And Trump's appointees are supposed to be conservative Republicans, who have spent much of their careers preaching things like states' rights, strict constructionism and limited government, including the presidency. The states who elect to use mail-in ballots are ordinarily entitled to deference, and the notion that the President can somehow step in an invalidate the results would really stretch any interpretation of his executive powers. If those are important principles, they need to be followed consistently--not on again, off again according to expediency. I know liberals have been accused of that, but there's nothing so flagrant as what is being proposed by Trump. If that scenario actually played out in reality, the Supreme Court would show itself to be nothing but a bunch of party hacks saying the Constitution means whatever their President wants it to mean. And that would be the end of it, and the republic as a government of laws, not men.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    Lynnbrown, Tullian and Tyrsonswood like this.
  10. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Sure , I would vote for Trump over Biden . The current U.S. govt appears stable . I would prefer at
    this time neither party gains control of the presidency + house + senate (with a super-majority) .

I don't care if you vote or not or for whom . I don't manipulate anarchy : it is precious and wild .

wrat1 likes this.
  11. rasta g child

rasta g child flower power

should we vote
    chump wins neway

12. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Some people here smoked some pot and were alive in the 1970's. I would not say that makes them hippies. Getting high is not enough. I mean look at Joe Rogan. He is one of the most well known users of hippie style drugs and he's a staunch right winger. A lot of boomers feel the new "counter culture" is liking Trump It's rebellion but trust me these people would not be welcome at hippie gatherings.

13. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Hippie gatherings are very welcoming . Got a belly-button ?

wrat1 likes this.
  14. hotwater

15. hotwater

I don’t want to jinx Biden, but with 27 days before the election and with the latest CNN poll having Biden up by 16 points, coupled with last week’s National poll that had him up by 14 points, I think the election is a foregone conclusion

Biden is up by 12 points in Pennsylvania, 10 points in Wisconsin, 9 Points in Michigan, 10 points in Minnesota

Biden has a narrow razors edge lead in Ohio and Iowa (a virtual deadlock) but oddly enough the Trump campaign has decided to pull TV ads in those states to focus on states that he’s trailing.

No republican in History has won the presidency without winning Ohio, why is he so confident he'll win
    Ohio and Iowa?

16. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Not to fascists, racists, or homophobes all of which Trump and his voters are to varying degrees.

Unlike Trump voters you are less likely to be thrown out at the barrel of an Ar-15 just ignored if you come. Maybe that is where you are confused. We are not violent so we must accept you.
    You sound like just who I was talking about. Don't expect "tolerance" to extend to everything. The 60's were about morals and taking a stand.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  17. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

I think I've met one person who didn't have a belly-button . Too shy to ask anything of this very polite person ,
    I still just wonder that this one who spoke with a me along a dusty trail was a time-traveler .

wrat1 likes this.
  18. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

When Boehner left as speaker of the house his one pride and joy was that they had chopped up the districts so bad in Ohio that he claimed "At least Ohio will never vote in another Democratic president"...

Ohio has been redneck heaven ever since...

19. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

For one thing, the trump campaign is running out of money.

20. hotwater

But he has repeatedly said "he would spend his own money to finance his re-election campaign if necessary"

.........so cough up the green...lol...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.