2020 Election

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Deleted member 42017, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

2. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Flagme15 and Balbus like this.
  3. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Its the big hole in both your and Balbus's rants, Tony Blair was the father of PPPs in the UK, so no use either of you commenting on the US election

4. Vladimir Illich

What the F**k is that ???

5. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Seems you need to read your own posts

6. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Public Private Partnership

I realize it wasnt dealt with in 5th grade when you left school, but there is a search engine called google you can type things like that in to find out the answer

7. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

VG

I have to concur with Vlad what are you on about - can you please clairify your arguement?

8. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Sorry but you do realise that Public Private Partnerships are/were a neolbiralist type policy

9. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Are you also asking what a public private partenship is?

10. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

You do know who Tony Blair is right?

11. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

As Professor John Quiggin [an economist and an Australian Laureate Fellow in Economics at the University of Queensland] has put it - The PFI was introduced by the Conservative Government of John Major in 1992 and greatly expanded under Tony Blair’s New Labour Government. The PFI provides a financial framework for Public-Private Partnerships, which have their own acronym, PPPs.

PPPs are the archetypal example of the soft neoliberalism represented by Blair’s "Third Way". Like the hard neoliberalism of Thatcher and Reagan, soft neoliberalism accepts the primacy of financial capital and the superiority of markets over governments.

[edit] and this is one reason why many left wing people think Blair and New Labour leaned to the right

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    stormountainman likes this.
  12. Vladimir Illich

[deleted by Balbus insult] - its not PPP, in the uk its PFI and no it wasn't started under Bliar, but began in 1992 under John Major's 'nasty party' regime.

Private finance initiative - Wikipedia

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2020
  13. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Vlad sorry for the edit but can you please refrain from such insults, i understand the heat of the moment commemt but can you please take care.

14. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

VG

Sorry but I’ve been arguing against such neoliberal financial mechanism like PFI’s and PPP’s for years to then ask me to go look it up on google when you clearly had not done so yourself is frankly hilarious.

If you want to know more about the subject you could start with – The Captive State: The Corporate Takeover of Britain by George Monbiot, here is a short review

Review: Captive State: the Corporate Takeover of Britain by George Monbiot

It was first published in 2000 but gives a good starting point for a back ground of the subject and the situation actually got worse than described in the book.

15. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Those two paragraphs in particular I felt mainly applied to you

As usual, the same circular argument, the same old tactics, start off with a statement that is false, then deflect with an off topic reference....on this occasion a book written by a guy with a degree in zoology of all things???

Tony Blair, leader of your countrys less conservative / more liberal; labour party was the one most guilty of taking a sledgehammer to public ownership

He is always going to be that big gaping hole in your assertions that neo-liberalism ( a phrase I have pointed out to you a thousand times is in itself too vague) is right wing

So back to that first quote in this reply, If you are not willing to debate in any reasonable rational way, maybe edit yourself

Referencing a book you yourself didn't probably even read with out any context is not debating. Why the hell does the book title alone tell us about Tony Blair

Tony Blair and "New Labour" since it obviously wasn't just conservatives in your country that sold off public assets, why on earth are you and Vlad commenting on the US election in regards to that?

Shake my head, a guy with a zoology degree

16. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

Are you going to remind us, or keep us guessing?
    So your point is that a person who graduated from Oxford with a degree in zoology can't possibly know what he's talking about on matters of politics after spending much of his life as an investigative journalist and political activist? He put the zoology degree to good use as an environmentalist, and that brought him up against the political obstacles to sensible environmental policy. The book was critically acclaimed, but what do they know?
    And what's your degree in? Tree climbing?

17. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

I was thinking his degree was in nose picking.

Tishomingo likes this.
  18. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

VG

What false statement?

Why is a book that in large parts involves an analysis of PFI be off topic in a debate about PFI? Its was just some suggested reading from something I know and have read.

And just because Monbiot has a degree in zoology does not rule out him been a political activist and writer. I mean what qualifications do you think people have to have before they can debate political issues, what is you degree?

So your argument is that Tony Blair must be a leftie because he had neoliberal policies like many right wingers because neoliberalism is a lefty ideology which is followed by right wingers ….

How is that a rational argument?

I mean in its simplest terms neoliberalism is – free market capitalism - and I don’t think I know of any lefties who would say they are free market capitalists.

Anyway we have gone off topic but I hope we can get back to it soon

19. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

Do you really expect that …………………….&...…………... to understand any of that?

Flagme15 likes this.
  20. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

If you think that your political opponents are school children and that you're their self-appointed school teacher holding the right to censor their opinions, or force them to meet requirements of debate that you oppose on them, then yes, I'm opposed to "education". You have simply renamed censorship "education" to disguise what is obviously an abuse of power.
    You're free to call someone out for the deficiencies of their arguments. That doesn't mean that opposing views should be censored. If someone is in control of judging what has held up to rational scrutiny, and what ideas are "dangerous", they can censor anything. Essentially all ideas are "dangerous", it's a question of to whom, what, and what degree they are dangerous.

If by "highlight deficient ideas", you mean present your opposing views, I have no objection. Censoring someone else's opinions can not be reasonably construed as "highlighting".
    If you begin with the premise that you are entitled to impose any rule you wish on public debate, what counter argument is there? I don't share your premise.

I've already said
    I think somebody should be able to declare a thing once, and if they just keep repeating it without defending it, then it's reasonable to remove the repeats in-so-far-as they are just flooding the forum.
    Saying "Obama puts gerbils up his butt" is not the same as shouting fire in a crowded theater. Shouting fire means there is an immediate risk to life and safety. It is also presumably done when in fact there is no fire, with malicious intent knowing full well there is no fire. No one is going to be trampled in a stampede to escape Obama's butthole.

onceburned and 6-eyed shaman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.