2020 Election

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Deleted member 42017, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It's not valid at all. These are only 2 points of data. What about their individual experiences, college minor, charitable work, criminal record, specific corporate achievements and of course marital status (like it or not)?

Also, job titles are limited pigeon holes that do not describe a person's overall capabilities. Seniority only means they haven't been fired, yet.

I have to agree with 6 though, corporations are not altruistic by nature, they're predatory machines hell-bent on profit. If women were indeed cheaper, men would have a hard time finding any work at all. It's similar to the effect illegal border jumpers have on low-end jobs (unpleasant, but reality).

2. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

If you were an employer and hired only women, you'd be opening yourself up to legal action for a Title VII gender discrimination lawsuit. Issues concerning equal pay are less blatant and harder to prove, but such lawsuits are being brought and won. Wal-Mart is the largest employer in the U.S. A study in 2003 conducted by University of California-Hayward professor Dr. Richard Drogin found that "women make up 72 percent of Wal-Mart's total workforce, but only 33 percent of its managers." This ultimately led Wal-Mart to becoming the defendant in a national gender-bias lawsuit. In a 5-4 decision in Wal-Mart v. Dukes in June 2011, the U.S. Supreme Court held that the plaintiffs did not have enough in common to file a class action in federal courts. Pursuing such cases on an individual basis is more challenging, but not impossible. But in 2013, Bank of America and its Merrill Lynch unit settled a sex discrimination class action with female brokers for $39 million. And last February, Walmart was hit by another gender discrimination suit .Walmart just got hit with a major gender discrimination lawsuit Gender discrimination, equal pay lawsuits have also been brought against Google Google Sued For Gender Discrimination By Female Former Employees and against the U.S. Soccer Federation. U.S. women's soccer players file gender discrimination lawsuit against U.S. Soccer Federation

Even controlling for a broad range of factors, including age, experience, education, time in the field, and industry consistently make less than their male counterparts. White women earn about 79 cents per dollar compared with white men.The Economic Policy Institute reports that women workers, on average, have higher levels of education than men, but still experience a pay gap. And even same-industry analyses show that women earn less than men. The American Association of University Women’s report on the gender wage gap showed that women in higher-paid industries actually experience a more severe gap in wages. For instance, a female financial manager makes, on average, $65,237 per year, while her male counterpart earns $100,575. And among physicians and surgeons, women make an average of $171,880 while men make an average of $234,072. Over time, these gaps can have a big impact on what women make in a lifetime.https://www.doughroller.net/personal-finance/the-employment-battle-of-men-vs-women/

There are, of course, other factors to take into account--the ones brought up all the time by right wing libertarians like Stephan Molyneux and Jordan Peterson: the marriage gap (married women earn less, because they divide their time differently); the sectoral gap (women dominate healthcare and education; men dominate architecture and engineering); the interest gap (men spent more time on computers in their youth); the temperament gap (women prefer to “working with people rather than tools”); the personality gap (women tend to be more agreeable than assertive). Despite Peterson's talk about "multivariate analysis" though, these factors are hard to quantify. I doubt that any real multivariate analysis, as opposed to intuitive guesswork, has been done. Show us the statistics! Molyneux has an M.A in history; Peterson is a psychologist. Maybe it's not the sociologists who are dumb.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  3. I have to agree with you there (though I'm pretty sure 6 was speaking of an alternate to what we see as reality). But there are circumstantial issues in the job world that has not been fully shaken out along gender lines. Men who are nannies is largely considered to be an oddity as are women who run graders and backhoes. As for Wal-Mart (the Borg of low-end retail), I'm not shocked to hear they hire more women, it's mostly what I see working there, especially as cashiers.

Then there's Hooters and Twin Peaks. How many men get to wear skimpy outfits and serve guests at either?

But then, there's this.........

4. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

the case is pretty famous
    EDIT: I don't know why it posted with a strike through.

5. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Hooters settled its lawsuit with guys claiming gender discrimination for a reported $3.75 milllion and an agreement to hire more male non-servers. But the company maintained its gender preference was a BFOQ (bona fide occupational qualification)--i.e., gender is the essence of the.business. Customers don't go there to be waited on by flat-chested guys, or even busty ones.
    Hooters isn't named after owls.

Flagme15 likes this.
  6. It's not named after joints either!

7. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

The customer is always right, which is why many of them are cross-dressers.

8. new Athenian

new Athenian Members

Polls say only what those asking the questions wish them to say. I've been polled many times and it wasn't hard for a discerning person such as myself to quickly pick up on techniques being used to nudge my stated opinions one way or the other. I refused their underhanded and dishonest tactics however and stuck to my guns throughout the interrogation.
    In fact I enjoyed the fact I wasn't giving them the answers they wanted like any other good " yes man ".
    Modern politics at the state and national level is all about packaging candidates similar to selling soap or " Big Macs " imagery and manipulation rule our society . Unfortunately even some smaller municipalities are seeing highly paid outside consultants coming in and advising Mayoral candidates etc. on how best to shape public opinion so that we feel good all the time when their name comes up.

9. wooleeheron

The same idiots that voted for Obama voted for Donald Duck. Get over it already! The Neo-Nazis are leading half the country because the country is full of complete idiots who only care about their reality TV and how much you pay them. Either learn how to deal with complete idiots or admit you are being a complete idiot expecting anything more from them. Polls don't matter when they almost always vote for whoever advertises the most and then vote the bums out of office. Oprah could become the next president of the US, because Big Bird is an evil commie plot.

10. Big Bird was supposed to be on Challenger's last flight.

11. wooleeheron

it +
    He put a lamp shade on his head and nobody could find him.

12. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

So... What's the wage gap difference between every gender in the infinite spectrum of genders, Soycompromise?

13. soulcompromise

Hey now! Get off me with your personal insult! :D

Seriously, I don't know but the white male thing keeps coming up at the top. And the pay increases that women receive early in their careers typically go away later or 'stagnate'. I do know for example transgender people find it very difficult to find meaningful employment. By that I mean the jobs they find end up with them being misunderstood and abused no matter how hard they try.

But I don't know if this is helpful to what you're wondering.

EDIT: this is interesting...

14. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

I have nicknames for everyone.

I thought you said there’s more than man and woman as gender, didn’t you? If there is, what’s the pay gap between all the genders?

It doesn’t surprise me that transgender people struggle with employment. Mental illness can inhibit a person in many ways. It doesn’t help that in countries like Canada have strict laws about misgendering and dead-naming. This makes hiring transgenders a huge liability for employers who run the risk of accidentally using the wrong gender pronoun.

15. soulcompromise

the above is what usually passes off as "reality" while the truth is gender is non-binary and fluid; not static. This means that gender can change! :)

These are some common terms, above... Sex, Sexuality, and Gender, as defined in sociology of gender.

It can all be a little complicated. I think what you are referring to may fall under "The Five Sexes" by Fausto-Sterling.

I count six though.. whatever. And to answer you, I have no idea what the various pay gaps are between the variations on gender. Chances are that today's research has only categorized gender in so far as the standard story is concerned.

Do you think the standard story is the be all and end all of sex and gender? :)

16. lode

lode Banned

I'm not sure there's a company alive that pays more for specific college minors or charitable work. Criminal records will usually just bar a person from work or not, but their are some situations where certain employers will overlook things in fields which usually discriminate based on this. This would be depress the salary of men, because men commit more crimes.

Good jobs will pay more based on competence and achievement, and that is a factor that can't be analysed with two points of data. But that's mostly bullshit. You're paid what you can negotiate, not what you're worth or how good you are.

Corporations are machines hell bent on profit, but they can't simply choose to hire only half the workforce because they'll work cheaper. That would lower the value of men's labor and men would work for cheaper.

17. This is the absolute truth of the matter.

How many of us have taken a job only to realize we should have negotiated a bit higher? It's not a gender-based conspiracy.

LA Law had an episode about this that was enlightening. It made me realize that I wasn't owed any more than I was willing to negotiate.

18. wooleeheron

Women often treat each other no better than men do, treat their own children no better than they do the dog. Fuck em, either they have the balls to stand up and say enough, or they can rot and I will encourage the idiots to fight amongst themselves, and encourage their children to run the other fucking way. Without heart, ya got nothing kid, and soon there won't even be a planet left if nobody has the balls to stand up and find the love to share their words and world.

19. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Us Okies from Muskogee find the current debate over gender pretty bewildering. To me, it's what's up front (between your legs) that counts. If it's a dick, you use the mens room; if not, use the ladies room, until such time as you change the physical reality by the wonders of modern surgery and hormones. Of course, if you have a heavy beard, using the ladies room could be a problem, but investment in a good razor could take care of that. On the one hand, the idea that you need to take your birth certificate along with you to use the john seems ridiculous, but on the other hand, so does the notion that someone should build a separate bathroom for you because you think you're none of the above seems impractical. I don't necessarily buy into Freud's idea that biology is destiny, but its not chopped liver.

soulcompromise likes this.
  20. wooleeheron

The EU has a simple solution for such problems, they charge $5.00 to use the fucking toilet. If you don't like sharing a fucking toilet and are fussy about who you stand or sit next too in the fucking toilet, it is quite possible to ensure you have it all to yourself. Capitalism at its finest, insists public toilets are a commie plot. The evil bastards will even leave presents in the back alley!

Last edited: May 27, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.