2018 Prison Strike

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by GuerrillaLorax, Aug 22, 2018.

1. GuerrillaLorax

GuerrillaLorax along the peripheries of civilization

For one, because the issue of for-profit prisons and mass incarceration (largest in history) is directly linked to the creation of the police (for obvious reasons).

And also because this thread developed into a critique of police over time. So the audiobook is an extension of that discourse.

Yep. Largest in american history, so far.

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Oh yeah I'm watching it on the news right now. :sweatsmile:

3. GuerrillaLorax

That's wierd? It was a 2018 prison strike, and you're just hearing about it now in 2019? I'd hate to know where you get your up to date news from ahahaha

4. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Yep all over the news like you said largest so far.

tumbling.dice likes this.
  5. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

This is so sad, depressing, disillusioning. The police are an inherently violent and oppressive organization that I will never trust nor support. Prisoners are human and deserve basic human rights too. Furthermore, slavery is still slavery. I stand in support of these prisoners. It's disgusting we live in a world where the state gets away with murder, and worse, people turn on their fellow human beings in support of the state.

eggsprog and unfocusedanakin like this.
  6. Maccabee

Maccabee Luke 22:35-38

I'm seeing a whole lot of opinion and not much facts.

7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

time for a 2019 thread. this one's killa

8. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

America is a hardcore capitalist country. That means you produce goods paying as little as possible while selling for maximum. Slavery is the ideal system for this since labor is free. However slavery is illegal so what do you do?

You sell society the idea that it is OK to enslave prisoners. They decided to do bad things. No one made them do it so it's only fair. Lots of people would find it funny if they work for free. That is why we have the private prison complex. You are not meant to escape it you are meant to work.

In some European countries prisoners are allowed to leave the prison to work a job with normal pay. They come back when the shift is over. This is done so the person still feels human and most important so they are set up to live in society again. That would never happen here. We have a stigma on felons and why the hell would you pay them? It's hard pill to swallow.

9. GuerrillaLorax

This thread is filled with facts.

10. Maccabee

Just not from you.

11. GuerrillaLorax

Ooh good one. And how are the facts I've posted not facts? I don't recall you ever countering them?

12. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I think I finally found it.

[​IMG]

McFuddy likes this.
  13. Maccabee

You said that Michael Brown was shot in the back with his hands raised saying "hands up don't shoot" when forensic evidence dictates otherwise.

14. GuerrillaLorax

Oh, so when you said there were no facts within the 6 pages of this thread, you meant singularly in that one comment. I gotcha, glad I could make sense of what you attempted to say. And on a comment that isn't even that relevant to prison slavery either.

But nope, that quote is wrong. And even your own links show that Mike Brown was shot in the back. Are you seriously that desperate?

15. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Disgusting. And like, how many homeless people, former foster youth, fall into a life of crime for lack of other resources?
    We trap people from birth; we trap them with racism, bigotry, poverty, homelessless.
    Then if and when they act out, we lock them up in cages.
    Then we use them as slaves.
    Yep. Beautiful country.

16. Maccabee

That was one example that I could think of off the top of my head. Between "all cops are racist" to even "why couldn't they tase/shoot him in the leg/use non lethal means to subdue him", you've made some blatantly false claims.

Also as an FYI, my original comment about seeing a whole lot of opinion, but much facts, was directed to the poster I quoted and the comment he/she made. It wasn't meant to be atributed to the entire thread.

I'd love to see your evidence. He was shot in the front and his DNA was on the officer's gun.

17. GuerrillaLorax

"Claims" and hypothesis are often in a different category than already proven "facts". Policing as an institution is racist. You can see that by its very creation, both in the US and Canada.

Again there is not much need to restart a debate already finished. Yes Michael was shot in the back while running for his life, turned around with his hands in the air, and was then executed as the cop fired, I believe it was 4 or 5 more shots. Which, of course, led to Michaels death. He was shot in the front and the back. This is just off memory. But he might have been shot at close range before fleeing as well. All as the autopsy reprts state. And all the while the cop is happy the "demon" is dead, and that he killed him.

18. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

The Prison strike had a few small victories but otherwise its status quo

19. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

What a shock. Who would have thought the general population would like prisoners making more money than themselves. What a shock.

20. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

I created
    I created
    I created my own prison