2018 Prison Strike

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by GuerrillaLorax, Aug 22, 2018.

1. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I don't disagree with this. Studies indicate that education while incarcerated reduces the level of recidivism so it makes sense to expand those programs. As a society we can also offer incentives for employers to hire newly released prisoners.

But if they keep reoffending then screw 'em.

2. Maccabee

Maccabee Luke 22:35-38

While they are different, they are still within reason.
    Let me first say that unarmed doesn't necessarily mean not dangerous or even not lethal. Now, with that being said, I went to your first site to see what they consider "unarmed." at the bottom of the site there's a link to a 2015 listing of unarmed people being shot.

https://mappingpolicence.org/unarmed-2015/#itemId=567f253469492e5c0a24b998

Since I didn't felt like addressing each and every story, I decided to only address three. The first one was an accident. One of them had a bat (which is a lethal weapon) and was swinging it at the officers. Amongst the fire the woman was struck. While it was a tragedy, it was nonetheless an accident and the officers had no malice or intent to shoot her.

2 fatally shot, 1 accidentally, by Chicago police on West Side; families demand answers

The second story (for transparency I actually clicked on four links but one of them led to a paywall) the guy was actively ffighhingthe officer and non lethal options didn't worked. The article states that the officer had his uniforn torn, equipment on his duty belt was missing, and he suffered injuries. Details like that indicaye that the subject put up a huge fight because police uniforms and gear are designed to withstand abuse.

Police: Dearborn officer fatally shoots unarmed man

The last story I looked at has a similar story to the one above. The man was mentally ill and they tried tasing him twice and failed. There wasn't much I could find without paying for a subscription.

Family: Louisiana man killed by deputy not violent

Fair enough, however one link was a paywall and another only stated roughly 600 died this year. Not thousand+.

3. GuerrillaLorax

GuerrillaLorax along the peripheries of civilization

Honestly if you think petty things like resisting arrest and being mentally disabled deserve being put to death, then there's no reason to continue this conversation with you. Either you hate losing an argument or you absolutely love cops and think they're infallible. That poor cops uniform haha, good thing somebody died over it. But just so you know, technically under american law, resisting arrest is not punishable by death.

So far this year, yes. It also says that every year since 2014 it's been a thousand+. And the only reason the data starts from 2014 is because during the Ferguson insurrection following the cold blooded murder of Michael Brown, it became widely known that there was actually no data being collected at all on police murder. So that launched various independent investigations, and the outcome was horrific.

4. Maccabee

It's more than just "resistining arrest", if you're at the point of shooting someone in a fight, in most cases the person you're fighting with is many times stronger than you or he's reaching for your weapon.
    HA! Cold blooded murder of Micheal Brown? Brown was trying to take the officer's gun then ran off. When the officer told him to stop, Brown turned around and charged him. Brown was much stronger and bigger than the officer.

5. GuerrillaLorax

Some prison updates

Harsh Conditions, Violent Repression: Stoking the Flame of the 2018 Prison Strike - UNICORN RIOT

"Getting access to the proper resources on the inside is very difficult and those that speak out are often subjected to loss of programming, torture, beatings, solitary confinement, and more.

Many of the simplest needs, like drinking water, are often the most overlooked. Drinking water in Massachusetts Norfolk Prison has elevated levels of the mineral manganese, which can cause neurological disorders, and has been stinky and dark looking for years.

Bottled water is available at Norfolk for $0.65 for a 16 oz. bottle, which is about one-third of the average prisoner’s daily wage. Yet, dogs being trained at Norfolk Prison to become service animals for people with disabilities, drink the bottled water.

This year, Norfolk inmate Wayland Coleman did a hunger strike to continue to bring awareness to the unhealthy water. Last year, Coleman was placed in solitary confinement for a month in retaliation for sending a critical report about the water to the Boston Globe.

Organizations like Deeper Than Water, prisoners, and other advocates, have been struggling for years to get clean drinking water in Norfolk Prison. The Department of Environmental Protection has threatened the Department of Corrections with fines with they do not fix the water issue. It is unclear when the new water systemwill be completed.

In Boston, Massachusetts, at a noise demo in solidarity with the 2018 Prison Strike on August 23, speeches were made bringing forth issues and they specifically discussed the water quality issue.

Water quality is not only deficient in Norfolk Prison. In a video smuggled out of prison (below), said to be from Ridgeland Correctional Institution in South Carolina (Ridgeland-SCDC), brown water is seen coming out of the sink and toilet.

Our latest report on the Prison Strike, spotlit what inmates in a Minnesota prison called a “humanitarian crisis” that has unfolded recently. Prisoners inside MCF-Stillwater have had clothes “mildewed” after over a month on lockdown in response to a prison guard being killed on July 18, 2018."

Call for Solidarity with Organizers of Demonstrations Against Indiana State Prison who are Facing Repression from Prison Authorities - It's Going Down

"Stand Together as a Wall" Against Solitary Confinement with Aaron "Israel" Isby - It's Going Down

Kite Line- September 14, 2018: Reasons to Fight- Life Inside South Carolina Prisons - WFHB

Silenced Prisoner Leader Demands Conduct Report Repeal - It's Going Down

Reports from the 2018 Prison Strike

Nova Scotia, Unceded Mi'kmaw Territory: Statement by Prisoners Ending Strike at the Burnside Jail - It's Going Down

"It is with heavy hearts we write that shortly after the end of our protest, a fellow prisoner incarcerated here lost his life. The conditions and environment here speak for themselves. Since the protests started we have been locked down with even less time spent outside, in contact with our families, or getting any recreation. We know how these conditions hurt the mental health of people imprisoned here.

We renew our calls for treatment of mental health, training, and programming. We ask the Minister of Justice: how many more people have to die in this facility until our cries for help are heard? We send our condolences and love to the family of our brother. We hope that our call for justice will be heard and that his life is not lost in vain.

We have come to the conclusion that this is an uphill battle that will only be won from the outside support, meaning all of you.

To the protestors who came right down through the woods to the back of the jail, risking their freedom to stand in solidarity with us, you gave us the most liberating feeling. We want you to know, we could hear you, and we believe you: we are not alone. Thank you. We love you, and are grateful to have you by our sides."

6. GuerrillaLorax

Nope. That's a blatant lie. Police murder in cold blood all the time. It's a well documented fact.

Nope. These are also blatantly false and well documented lies. It sounds like you literally quoted the racist cop himself.

First of all, did you ever wonder why the cop was there in the first place? Or do you, in some messed up way, think this young high school graduate would just randomly try and take a cops gun? How do you make sense of that? Although since you seem to mimic this cops vocab, perhaps you also see black people as "demon" and "it" as he testified.

But even if, for some random reason, this young man did attack a cop car, trying to go for the gun, in no way would he have been able to get it.
    So while in no life-threatening danger, he fired at Mike Brown twice in the car, and up to 8 more times while he was running for his life. The two fatal blows were to the head, one in an execution style.

After being shot while running for his life, Mike Brown turned around with his arms up and surrendered (not going all kamikaze like you state), leading to the racist cop firing his final 4 shots:
    - A Complete Guide to the Shooting of Michael Brown by Darren Wilson

So no, everything you said was wrong.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    unfocusedanakin and scratcho like this.
  7. Maccabee

Now we're are arguing in circles. I've already provided evidence that the vast majority of shootings the person shot either had a lethal weapon, had the appearance of possessing a lethal weapon, or fought to the extent that the only way to subdue him was to shoot him.

Lol.

Again, lol. BTW, I'm black.

Here is the autopsy report disputing your narrative.

PDF: Autopsy report for Michael Brown

Here are links showing that the witnesses lied and in fact Brown's DNA was on both the car and gun.

‘Hands up, don’t shoot’ was built on a lie

Prosecutor in Michael Brown Case Says Some Ferguson Witnesses Clearly Lied

https://www-m.cnn.com/2014/10/18/ju...k=&cvid=7421FA78C9044CE6A128DE39C6B2008B&rm=1

8. GuerrillaLorax

Well all my sources indicate that there was no reason, intention or action on behalf of this young man who just graduated high school to steal a cops gun. A cop who wasn't even supposed to be there. In a very racist city and country.

Your sources seem to state the opposite. So I guess we're at a stand-still.

9. Maccabee

Not really. My sources cite forensic evidence. Your sources cite people who lied under oath.

Sig and 6-eyed shaman like this.
  10. GuerrillaLorax

Out of 9 of the links I provided, I believe 2 are on the witnesses. One of them being all the witnesses. There's also a link in my post on forensic evidence. But good luck with thinking that bud.

And you still never answered my other questions. I don't believe there's much else to gain from this conversation.

11. Maccabee

Alright. Let's address your links, though your position and sources are laughable.

Yeah, because he was walking in the middle of the street and the officer had the authority to stop him.
    Simple, Brown's DNA was on the car and the gun.

Wilson only noted that Brown looked like a demon when Brown was charging him. He wasn't making a generalization about all blacks. You, on the other hand, seem to mimic the "all cops are racist" vocab. The fact is, I base my position on the evidence gathered. Quick story about myself, I initially thought Wilson was in the wrong until more evidence came out.
    Why should I take the word of someone who is an accomplice to robbery?
    Well he certainly made an effort.
    This is blatantly debunked by the autopsy report I linked when originallt replied to this post.
    Again, debunked in the original reply.

12. RetiredHippie

RetiredHippie Hick

I have not read any of this thread. Now I give zero plucks about these prisoners and their strike. It’s simple, want to avoid problems in prison? Stay out of trouble. It’s that easy.

Irminsul likes this.
  13. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

100% bro. ^^ couldn't have said it better myself, well I already did, but I got some piss ass "non violent criminals" jargen.

RetiredHippie likes this.
  14. RetiredHippie

RetiredHippie Hick

Well, maybe the nonviolent lawbreakers should have followed the law. Simple rule, if you can’t do the time don’t do the crime.

Irminsul likes this.
  15. GuerrillaLorax

16. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

And the 139 people last year in U.S. prisons who were wrongly convicted, and who were eventually released after receiving an apology by the government?

I admit it's a small number but some watchdog groups and organizations believe the number of innocent is far greater.

unfocusedanakin and eggsprog like this.
  17. GuerrillaLorax

18. Maccabee

What is the point of this?

19. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Really ignored the complexities of the legal system and how DA's abuse the system. Trials are rare even when the accused has evidence in their favor. The DA says if you admit guilt it's 5 years risk trial it's 20. The scare tactic works.

I guess from the screen name you broke a few rules in you day. Do you deserve prison for say a plan or jay walking? You can go to jail for either and both are non-violent.

20. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

So was there an actual prison strike or?