2018 Prison Strike

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by GuerrillaLorax, Aug 22, 2018.

1. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

you replied this to my comment about tax dollars

its complete and utter bullshit that "everything is produced and maintained by non-violent prisoners, for free and at the barrel of a gun"

youre just spreading fake information

but yeah if youd rather take the word of trustworthy and honest convicts and prisoners over actual real world facts then thats the way it is

keep fighting their fight mr rebel

2. deleted

deleted Visitor

I sometimes wonder where all these prison advocates were when I was thrown in prison for another persons crime. I loved how I work for the DOC for almost 3yrs and become a victim to it via a crooked **** of Judge.. Lets take a looky at this ugly bitch.

[​IMG]

The only person that gave a shit about my family and I was Republican States Senator of Pennsylvania Arlen Specter .. With out him Id probably still be in prison.. lucky yinz ahe.

3. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I'm not too sure of this. I just looked up the spending outlays for the state of Kentucky and "Protection", which includes police services, fire protection services and prisons, makes up a whopping 5% of state and local spending. The vast majority of our spending goes towards health care (29%), education (28%) and pensions (9%). There's also a category for "Other Spending" that takes up 11% of the budget and includes a grocery list of unnecessary (from a Libertarian perspective) crap.

Government Spending Details in $ billion: Kentucky State Local for 2018 - Charts

4. GuerrillaLorax

GuerrillaLorax along the peripheries of civilization

Unpaid prison labor isn't some conspiracy... I mean I don't know how you can just ignore facts.

5. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Arlen Specter ha, wasn’t he the guy that masterminded The JFK "Magic" Bullet theory ..lol..

6. GuerrillaLorax

Two Weeks Into #PrisonStrike, Inmates Speak Out - It's Going Down

"The strike was called because of so-called gang problems. Let’s remember the strike is due to 7 prisoners being killed, with over 40 wounded in a so-called gang beef. This strike was a direct challenge not only to prisoncrats, but prisoners who seemed to thrive in the prison racial or sex politics of division.

This strike is our way of telling them it’s time to refocus on the real causes of the prison class anger, frustrations, and depression. That real cause is not the prisoners themselves, but the prisoncrats and lawmakers that are shaping the social conditions of prisoners. Since the strike, Jailhouse Lawyers Speak members in different states have noted an unreal decrease escalation of so called gang violence. I think this in itself is remarkable.

IGD: Crime in the US is down, yet more than 1 in every 100 Americans is imprisoned in some form or another. Both corporate parties have pushed fear of everything from Black “super predators” to “rapist immigrants.” Ironically, it’s these law and order policies that have also created the conditions which have actively taken away jobs from the outside, and moved them into prisons. What do everyday Americans need to know about how prison slavery and prison ‘insourcing’ affects them?

Right, right, right. The prison industrial complex is no friend or protector for any of us. This includes the prison and those outside known as the working class. It has no respect for the people. It’s a greedy corporate parasite that has only one goal ultimately, profits. Jobs are in prisons that belong on the outside for a person to feed their families. Instead the jobs are inside the prisons using prisoners as slaves. Citizens outside should be outraged at this. Nowhere should slavery be allowed in order to create shortcuts for corporations to avoid paying living wages to citizens outside the wires."

7. Maccabee

Maccabee Luke 22:35-38

8. GuerrillaLorax

How so?

Here are some updates:

"It’s easy to assume that at least 1 million incarcerated people are working in prison, with an estimated 1.5 million people inside state and federal prisons in the U.S. and over four-out-of-five prisons having work programs. Work programs and wages differ from prison to prison, but most prison labor is essentially mandatory, with inmates who refuse to work being subject to torture tactics such as solitary confinement.

A 2017 report shows that prisoners are getting paid less per hour than they were in 2001. The average minimum wage for non-industry jobs is $0.86 per day. Typical jobs around the prison are food service, maintenance, laundry, grounds-keeping, and custodial, which lack the ability to increase any job hopes when released.

Prisoners working in correctional industries average an hourly wage between $0.33 cents and $1.41. These industries include call centers, labor-intensive agricultural work and manufacturing. These industries that employ low-wage prison labor continually rake in millions of dollars a year in profits.

Prison labor is responsible for producing a wide range of items, such as McDonald’s uniforms, office supplies, computer parts, license plates, body armor, road signs, mattresses, and much more. Meanwhile, sales of those items are extraordinarily profitable for the companies due to drastically reduced labor costs.

A multitude of issues surround the complexity of the billion-dollar prison labor industry, from controversies plaguing state prisons, to ALEC lobbyists who pushed the Prison Industries Act in federal prisons, to the subcontractors and corporations who profit from underpaid prison labor.

Companies have faced public scrutiny for using prison labor, and some have cancelled their contracts. Whole Foods decided to stop its prison labor contract with Colorado Correctional Industries in late 2015 after proteststargeted the grocery store (since bought out by Amazon) for using prison labor.

Prison labor has been used by major corporations and companies such as McDonald’s, Wendy’s, Victoria’s Secret, Starbucks, Microsoft, Mary Kay, Wal-Mart, and others.

Select juvenile facilities across the U.S. also use forced prison labor, yet it’s different at the youth work camps because most are not paid any wages for their labor. Youth at MCF-Togo, chop and bundle firewood for the state parks of Minnesota to sell at high profits, contracted through the state’s scandal-plagued prison industry company, Minncor.

In California, inmates have fought record breaking wildfires this summer as firefighters, risking their lives to do a major public safety service for the wage of about $1 an hour. The prisoners fighting the fires while serving time are learning a trade, but they are not allowed to become firefighters when they leave prison due to laws against employing felons." Read full article

Here's a short documentary on the prison system which also discusses the then historical 2016 Prison Strike.

9. Maccabee

I was talking about the police shootings.

10. GuerrillaLorax

I know. I was wondering what makes you think the murder of hundreds of people every year is justified?

11. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My guess a sick twisted sense of justice?

12. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

If you really want to give yourself an aneurysm, then go look at the federal budget

A trillion dollars in 2017 on just social security

At least thats only around 25% of the budget for you guys

Ours (Australia) last year was friggin 36% of the federal budget on social security

13. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Maybe the citizens of Chicago should go on strike. From January to August of this year 1,700 people have been shot...which is an improvement over the last two years. According to former Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy 80% of violent crime is related to gang activity. Legislation to toughen prison sentences for illegal gun possession is opposed by both African Americans in the state legislature and by the NRA. When those two groups are in bed together you can be sure the citizens are getting the shaft.

Crime in Chicago - Wikipedia

14. GuerrillaLorax

#PrisonStrike Call to Action: Outreach, Agitation, Connection - It's Going Down

"The self-organized activity of the prisoners is of the highest importance. Despite isolation, violence, and constant surveillance, they have coordinated a diversity of mass actions and have insisted their lives must change for the better. By founding the movement on their own capacities, the prisoners are equipping themselves to overcome every hurdle they face, today and in the future. This is an example to everyone in pacified society facing escalating austerity, climate pressures, and racism.

The next most important thing is ensuring their demands are met. The prisoners movement is not symbolic and is not primarily oriented towards “raising awareness.” The prisoners have articulated a complex strategy to withdraw their labor where possible in order to starve the prison machine, and involve other, non-working prisoners on other bases. This movement is already bearing concrete results as Texas has slashed phone call costs and California has scrapped cash bail. A number of neo-Nazi affiliated guards have been fired in Georgia and elsewhere. Media coverage is also important, though, but not primarily in the vague sense of spreading awareness to the general public. The wave of newspaper, TV, and radio coverage in the first week of the strike means that hundreds of thousands of prisoners who had not yet heard about the movement and its demands have now likely heard the inspiring news. We can expect a new wave of spontaneous actions on the inside as prisoners outside of existing networks organize themselves to participate. It is uncertain that we will hear about many of these events, precisely because of their distance from outside supporters."
    [​IMG]

Kite Line- September 7, 2018: The Attica Liberation Faction - WFHB

15. Maccabee

First off, the fact that you projected onto me that I think murder is justified doesn't bold well for you for your unbiasness. Second, most of them aren't murders. The vast majority of the shootings the guy who was shot either hand a lethal weapon or acted as if they did.

16. GuerrillaLorax

It's literally what you said in your own words.

And no, it's still murder. Police have advanced training in non-lethal force. But even when they somehow forget their training, they could at least aim for the leg intead of multiple shots to the head. Or beating their head into the pavement or choking them to death.

And back to your post. "The vast majority of those are justified". So the majority of 1000+ of your supposedly justified killings, still leaves hundreds of "unjustified" murders.

unfocusedanakin likes this.
  17. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Wow, with that kind of determination you'd think they would do well on the outside. But for some reason many of them just can't cut it. A study that began in 2005 and that continues today tracks a sample of 401,288 former prisoners and reveals the following data:
    • The 401,288 state prisoners released in 2005 had 1,994,000 arrests during the 9-year period, an average of 5 arrests per released prisoner. Sixty percent of these arrests occurred during years 4 through 9.
    • An estimated 68% of released prisoners were arrested within 3 years, 79% within 6 years, and 83% within 9 years.
    • Eighty-two percent of prisoners arrested during the 9-year period were arrested within the first 3 years.
    • Almost half (47%) of prisoners who did not have an arrest within 3 years of release were arrested during years 4 through 9.
    • Forty-four percent of released prisoners were arrested during the first year following release, while 24% were arrested during year-9.
    Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) - 2018 Update on Prisoner Recidivism: A 9-Year Follow-up Period (2005-2014)

What happens to that determination once they're released?

18. Maccabee

I can only laugh at your ignorance on non lethal and lethal force. Sure, police do have training on non lethal force...that is to be used in a non lethal situation. Do you honestly expect police to tase someone who is actively shooting at them? This isn't about forgetting their training. In fact in most cases, it's because of their training that they use lethal force to subdue a lethal threat.

As for shooting people in the leg, my question is people still think that is a viable option? No. No one, police, military, or otherwise are taught to shoot people in the leg. For three main reasons.

For one, I like to see you try to shoot at a 5-8 inch target on a normal day at a range with a pistol, let alone when you're being shot at, your heart is beating a million miles a minute, and the 5-8 inch target is moving. For another, the point of lethal force is to stop the threat as quickly as possible. Shooting someone in the leg isn't a guaranteed threat stopper. When adrenaline kicks in or the threat is on drugs, he may not even feel it, let alone react to it and stop what he is doing. Plus there's the obvious point that if he's shooting at you, he still has full function of his shooting hand. Third reason is you may hit an artery and the threat bleeds out anyway. There's a reason why deadly force is called deadly force. It's force that has a high probabilty of causing death or great bodily harm.

Also, about cops shooting people in the head multiple times, police aren't taught head shots in most cases. They are taught to shoot center mass because it provides the biggest and most stable target and it ends the threat quickly. The only officers who are taught head shots are those in the SWAT team.
    I never gave a number so how you concluded to that point is beyond me.

19. Meliai

Meliai Banned

most employers do not want to hire felons and even if they did, prisons don't really focus on rehabilitation in the US or developing any sort of useful skill set that would give an ex prisoner an advantage when released.

GuerrillaLorax likes this.
  20. GuerrillaLorax

I didn't know "the guy who was shot either had a lethal weapon or acted as if they did." meant active gunfights. I mean talk about being vague haha. Gunfights and "having a lethal weapon or what police think is a lethal weapon" are two completely different things.

So that drops down your "vast majority" to 31% of police killings are "allegedly armed" (still doesn't mean active gunfights), while 69% of police murders are unarmed.
    Mapping police violence

The Counted: tracking people killed by police in the United States | US News | The Guardian

Killed By Police - Solidarity Not Charity

Because the post all this stemmed from had a number.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018