2018 Prison Strike

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by GuerrillaLorax, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

[​IMG]

tumbling.dice likes this.
  2. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i fully support a prisoner hunger strike

saves on tax dollars

3. GuerrillaLorax

GuerrillaLorax along the peripheries of civilization

I don't know what tax dollars would go towards as everything is produced and maintained by non-violent prisoners, for free and at the barrel of a gun.

Lynnbrown likes this.
  4. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

youre right about not knowing

also prison guards in canada that are in contact with inmates do not carry guns

5. GuerrillaLorax

Some news from the historical prison strike;

A Labor Day Call to Action:

"It's no secret that police and prisons usurp a majority of funds available to the general budgets of state and local governments. It is not uncommon to have a quarter to half of any given city or county budget be dumped into police or sheriff coffers. As of 2017, the best attempts to assess total costs of prison and policing land around $182 billion a year. According to reports, all this spending does little towards achieving actual public safety.

This spending behavior has created a police state and a national prison population that exceeds the entire population of major cities like Philadelphia and Dallas, as well as that of at least 14 US states. It has become a nation unto itself, comprised of exiles deprived of basic constitutional and human rights under the guise of empty words like “corrections.” For example, six million Americans have been denied access to the ballot based on a criminal conviction, not to mention their limited access to Due Process, Free Speech and other basic rights. These are all issues raised in the 10 primary demands of striking prisoners, initially presented by the organization Jailhouse Lawyers Speak.

Our brothers and sisters locked in cages are paid pennies on the hour if anything at all. In the Southern states Jim Crow prevails as many prisons systems still pay nothing. In state prison systems across the South, access to rehabilitative programs, an unbiased parole board or fair pricing at commissary is rare, not to mention that KKK members are still found in the guards’ ranks.

To offer a single example, the state of Florida's Department of Transportation paid the state’s Department of Corrections 19 million dollars last year in a contract for prison labor. Little has changed since one hundred years ago when many of that state’s first roads were built by convict-leased former slaves.

But prisoners don't just maintain the roads and toil in license plate factories. They actually run the entire prison system too. They cook, they clean, they paint, they weld, they repair cars, they do plumbing and maintain waste treatment facilities, they staff law libraries. All while prison guards generally stand and watch."

The Final Straw Radio: Kevin Rasid Johnson on the #PrisonStrike2018 + Two Audio Zines

Kite Line- August 31, 2018: Strike Solidarity From Inside South Carolina’s Prisons - WFHB

6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Sounds to me like prisoners get more than enough, they get fed, cleaned, bed, they can learn trades and other skills and they don't even get harassed by the guards. That's a better deal than a lot of folks living by the law get. Why are they striking again?

7. idahocowboy

idahocowboy Members

Hint, they do not want it to work....

scratcho likes this.
  8. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Yeah, a for profit system certainly incentivizes a high recidivism rate

idahocowboy likes this.
  9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

2018 Monopoly Announcement.

Go directly to jail, granted 1000$ and vacant plot and 1x chance and community card. Skip 2 goes so you don't owe anybody any money.

10. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

The section of my Social Problems text on criminal justice begins in this way:
    From "Social Problems Continuity & Change" the book from my fav. Sociology class which was Social Problems. I find this discussion fascinating.

I feel like the focus of prison should be rehabilitation, whether it be from drugs and alcohol or reintegrating into the work force. I don't think work for pay should necessarily factor in. I think it is dehumanizing though to work for menial pay.

11. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

You forgot.............

[​IMG]

Orison and Irminsul like this.
  12. GuerrillaLorax

I know people who have been to prison in canada and they remember there being armed guards. Some great analyses and resources on the canadian prison system can be found here and here.

You have a bad memory too hey?

13. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Maybe prisons aren't a problem. Maybe it's just Americans. :p

14. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Yeah we Americans are a bunch of raging psychopaths……………….

Typical news stories:

Man who came home from Vegas distraught over gambling debt kills pregnant wife, three kids, then shoots self in head.

16 Year old boys was accused of using a semi-automatic rifle to kill his parents, sister, and a family friend staying at house, because his parents imposed an 11:00 pm curfew.

Colorado man, Christopher Watts, charged with first degree murder of his pregnant wife, claims he came home found his two beloved daughters strangled by his wife, and in a fit of rage killed her.

15. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Hey not everything. Some stuff is still produced for dirt cheap in foreign countries :p

16. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

got any reputable unbiased sources for your information?

guards in canadian jails do not carry around guns

I dont know any people in jail ..my information comes from friends and distant family members who are actual prison guards...they are trained in firearms use and have access when needed but do not carry them around ...they stay locked up

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2018
  17. GuerrillaLorax

Considering all media has bias, then no. And I personally prefer sharp analysis, so I never try and dull down my sources. The texts are filled with sources, so take a look. And its all easily researchable information, not like some of those right-wing conspiracy theories haha. Or is that the media you prefer, from right-wing sources?

18. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

maybe you should visit your local jail and check it out..ask questions

instead of spreading fake news like a facebook junkie

19. GuerrillaLorax

I've had immediate family in prison. And I don't find this relevant at all. You narrowed down your argument to the smallest little thing, that doesn't even have relevance here, because you lost the rest of your attempted arguments, just to say "fake news" ahaha.

I mean just because cops aren't standing behind us all the time making sure we pay rent to the landlords and pay for our bananas like good little citizens, doesn't mean the majority of folks are going to stop doing that. Because we know the cops are right around the corner and armed to the teeth. Same could be said with your egalitarian prisons.

And I don't use facebook.

20. deleted

deleted Visitor