20 Things that Technology Killed...

Discussion in 'Flashbacks' started by skip, Dec 22, 2010.

1. nattilee

nattilee Member

But now who wants to live in normal society :p

When I grew up in the 90s there was the same scare that kids aren't spending enough time outside because of TV, VHS movies, the computer, and such. But we had one TV and a super nintendo in my house which were almost never on before dark. I spent all daylight hours outside playing in either my own or my friends' backyards or just roaming the streets. And I know there were other kids who spent all day indoors watching TV and playing video games at the same time. Point is, the parents and the kids themselves have a say. There will still be kids playing outside in the future, because some kids will choose to play outside even when it's just one of many options. And it doesn't have to be all or nothing either.

2. freedomrider

freedomrider Member

Sorry I don't agree with this. The power of these technologies will overwhelm any ability we have as a culture to resist them. Sure there are people who will be an exception to this, but they are becoming fewer and farther between every day. Corporations learned how to manipulate the human psyche for profit, and they get better at it every day.

3. uitar9

uitar9 Member

I am getting pissed at all the noise in coffee shops.

I'm trying to read, on my electronic reader, and all these folks are texting. It's like a hurricane: thumbs hitting those keys

While we may be losing the face to face interaction, we are now able to meet millions online, start a conversation on pretty well any subject, with folks all over the world.

This forum has enabled me to feed my thirst for 60's pictures/stories, meet a few old hippies.

The only folks who miss the old ways are old folks. Including me. But I certainly like using the new toys.Use what you want, leave the rest

4. NatureDude

NatureDude Member

What about the ability to think?

5. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

video killed the radio star

6. deleted

deleted Visitor

I have to stop being so damn clairvoyant ... thats exactly what I was thinking.. :2thumbsup:

7. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

I knew you were thinking it and beat you to posting it because I know it bugs you

8. NatureDude

NatureDude Member

I'm glad that in this day and age there are still plenty of people left who enjoy outdoor activities such as gardening :)

9. kingofthemoon1313

kingofthemoon1313 Member

Anyone else noticed that news websites slow down the computer way too much?

10. walsh

walsh Senior Member

Thing is, you need to hear a piece to play it with tab because the timing isn't right. Sheet music all you need is the piece of paper.

11. youngnpassion

youngnpassion Member

12. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

Great thread, Skip!

DVD players are on their way out, too. We don't even have one in my flat, everything is downloaded online and played through the media centre.

These are crazy times we live in!

13. kingofthemoon1313

kingofthemoon1313 Member

When I go out every morning evening and midday, to run barefoot through the woods, the sense of letting go from the modern world is unbelievable.

14. the_doors_of_perception

the_doors_of_perception Member

I still do most of those (minus the phone sex) lol