20 Reasons for being Vegetarian

Discussion in 'So you want to be a Vegetarian?' started by Peaceful River, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Reality is BS

Reality is BS Member

I've been vegetarian for almost two years. I was a meateater for 35 and loved meat.

I switched for numerous reasons. One of the best decisions I've ever made. I lost 20 pounds with no effort. I started to feel much better physically with lots more energy.

I made gains spiritually as well. Eating the flesh of animal corpses is damaging to your body, psyche, and spirit.

2. lawnboy3

lawnboy3 Member

Did you actually read through your post? I am not for or against any lifestyle, especially not vegetarianism when there really is benefit to it. But there are such blatant false statements in this list, e.g., #4 and #20, it's embarrassing you posted it.

3. T Swank88

T Swank88 Member

I'm a vegetarian becaise i couldn't stand the taste of it when i was a kid and it stuck in my head as i got older that all meat tasted bad and so that's why I'm a vegetarian.

4. KeithBC

KeithBC Member

Well, are you going to share your insight or are you going to make us guess? What nutrients are only available in meat, for example?

5. wa bluska wica

wa bluska wica Pedestrian

taurine

a highly essential amino acid

if you're a cat

of course, much like vitamin b-12, it can be synthesized artificially and added to any vegetarian diet . . .

6. roamy

roamy Senior Member

i dont find it hard not to eat animals.thats easy cos i love them.

7. Goldenrod70

Goldenrod70 Guest

I have dabbled for years with trying to convert. I always end up feeling like I'm starving...I have never had a huge desire to eat meat, & if I think about where the meat came from when I am eating, I will get sick. But then again, my body is so used to the addition of meat, that when I go without it I crave it badly, especially bacon. I know that for my health & my soul, transition would be great for me, but I'm just not sure how to do it right & could use some advice....

8. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

This list is great, thanks. I'm gonna try so hard to stick with it, it's just so worth it, so worth the benefits.

9. Happy Art Girl

Happy Art Girl Member

Thanks so much for posting this list! I am both shocked and sickened by some of the things (especially what is classed as "meat" on the food labels). I am really glad I have decided to go vegetarian again! :)

10. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Welcome, happy art girl.

11. storch

storch banned

Hemp-seed powder contains taurine . . .

12. Indy Hippy

Indy Hippy Zen & Bearded

Well I can't say that I agree with everything on that list but I do agree that sometimes meat is just plain nasty. I stopped eating pork a few years ago, for outdated religious reasons, and I came to find that I didn't want to eat it anymore after about a half a year. I do eat a lil bacon here and there now, can't help myself sometimes :D and I havn't really given up the other meats. When I was a kid I hated vegetables, and I would have to completly rethink my diet and pallet choices if I were to become a vegetarian.

13. rockannndroll

rockannndroll Guest

Thanks for sharing this with us! I've been a vegetarian for over 2 years, but one fact that really stood out was the 'In a lifetime, the average meat eater will consumer 36 pigs, 36 sheep and 750 chickens and turkeys' that is just incredible. Wow.