20.Jan spend $0 day

Discussion in 'Protest' started by MikeE, Dec 29, 2004.

1. RevoMystic

RevoMystic Member

squawkers, I reread that and I didn't mean to come off so crass, just that I get infuriated by frivolous spending by mindless consumers. I'm sorry for lumping you into that, but your first post sounded a tad apathetic from the way you worded it, tis all :)

We All Shine On, why the sour words?

2. paix

paix Senior Member

I think that we all shine on was just saying that if everyone is going to be so negative about the idea, they may as well make fun of her vocabulary as well, making a point about how silly it is to say nasty things like that here.

3. Grim

Grim Wandering Wonderer

I think it's a great idea, and the only real flaw comes in it's delivery...
    So many groups try to do these "Buy Nothing Days", but they all usually end up picking different days and under-advertising the thing, never really making anything noticable happen...Adbusters does some big ones now and then...

But yeah, hell, I don't think I'll be able to actually go protest in person...so I'm up for this.

4. whispers

whispers sweet and sour

unless you can get national media coverage ....what is the point?

how many people are we talking? ....the few on here or is this a national campaign where millions will part take?

it has been done before and failed....

you would get better coverage if a bunch of people chain themselves to the the whitehouse fence nakid....with there message writin on there backs.

5. artful_dodger

artful_dodger Member

I'm sure that a bunch of people are already planning to do that, whispers, if they can get close enough.

Hundreds of thousands of people are going to converge on DC for J20. Look around the 'net, tons of protests are planned.

There will be local protests and vigils held in hundreds of cities as well. Every new protest added increases the weight of American disapproval.

The mainstream media will cover at least some of that.

And, if they don't, then the people need to cover it themselves. Blog about it. Post an article to your local IndyMedia.

Citizen journalism has huge capacity for change. The Abu Ghraib story broke in the blogs. IndyMedia broke the story about security holes in Diebold voting machines.

I don't think that anyone should ever feel like their individual contribution is not enough... we put it all together, we can manifest huge change.

6. stickchick24

stickchick24 Member

Hell Yeah! I won't spend a dime on the 20th. How many people noticed Colin Powell ripping Bush's ass on the lack of funds to Asia and Africa? He's no longer on the cabinet. Now I have a little more respect for him.

7. whispers

whispers sweet and sour

well of coarse there are protests planned ....duh

if the mainstream media does not cover it ......then it has failed ....because that means the mainstream population would not have seen it and we are talking protests here not torture.

since most of us are already anti-consumerism ..... holding your spending for the day will see little affect ....

that sounds so sweet and peachy ...... sadly thinking happy thoughts does little and we can already see georgy got re-elected, where was everyone when the time for a change was needed.

8. RevoMystic

RevoMystic Member

"if the mainstream media does not cover it ......then it has failed ....because that means the mainstream population would not have seen it and we are talking protests here not torture"

sorry man, you're just plain wrong about that. If the mainstream media doesn't cover it (which I'm sure it will not) then the mainstream media failed, not the protesters. Which brings up an important issue: exposing the mainstream (corporate) media for what it is: anti-populist, pro-establishment.

"that sounds so sweet and peachy ...... sadly thinking happy thoughts does little and we can already see georgy got re-elected, where was everyone when the time for a change was needed."

They were at the polls in unprecedented numbers, some waiting in line for up to 15 hours. I'd guess that you're pretty misinformed when it comes to the modern American system of government. The reason W. was "re-elected" was because of voter machine fraud and voter (human) disenfranchisement. Not to mention the votes as of today (jan. 1st, 05) still haven't all been counted. Where were you in 2000?!! This problem is only getting worse. Read Greg Palast's "the best democracy money can buy". It'll give you an introduction to the systematic subversion of the U.S. electoral process by the corporate elites (democratic AND republican).

The corporation that provided the machines (I forget the name of it) is blatantly pro-republican. They don't even hide their partisanship. Do your homework before spouting out some tiredly mainstream rhetoric. The facts are out there (mostly right here on the net), so go find them, THEN post.

9. whispers

whispers sweet and sour

the point of protesting is to be noticed by the media ..... the media only reports what they think will draw the general population to veiw their programming...so it has to be eye catching...sorry that is a reality...stop crying about the way the game is played and learn to play it.

yes the people were at the polls in large numbers and waited for a long time to place their vote..... sadly georgey got half the the votes .... which means half the population approves of him ....there was no over whelming outpour from the people to vote him out.

the time to get people to change their minds or to truely see how georgey is and to make a difference was during the polls ......which failed....protesting your disapproval of him after his re-election........is just sad.

....his current approval ratings are at 49% approval...46% disapproval

lol....voter machine fraud is what re-elected georgey.....thats is so cute.
    ...well i guess that would sound like a good excuse to use for some............

most corporations are republican....thats a given and ....thanks dude i got the biggest giggle from you [​IMG] ....whats it like in lala land?

10. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

paix....awesome reply...
    i do agree that it could possibly be harmful to us though...we do things like that, the rich man fires the poor man so that the rich man can keep getting more money in his pockets....

11. RevoMystic

RevoMystic Member

"the point of protesting is to be noticed by the media ..... the media only reports what they think will draw the general population to veiw their programming...so it has to be eye catching...sorry that is a reality...stop crying about the way the game is played and learn to play it."

Hahaha, he just told me to sell my soul to capitalism!!! haha. Sorry, the game is completely corrupt and I want no part of it, thanks.
    No, the media has a political agenda, and that is to make sure the american public knows as little of what's going on as possible. This is basically common knowledge among progressive circles.

"whats it like in lala land?"
    I'm not sure...I live in reality, as do most progressives. You'd most efficiently be able to shed some light on what it's like in lala land. The "lala land" the corporate media has you so solidly living inside. I do feel sorry for you, but hopefully the next 4 years will wake you up from your sleepwalking, voluntarily steadfast ignorance. You remind me of a robot doing exactly as it was programmed to do. Believe me, it's no fun talking to a droid that knows so little.

Marie, it's not so much about money anymore. Now it's more about global conquest. They already have all the limitless amounts of funding they could ever dream of. So what's next? Global domination through corporate and military Empire. There is substantiated evidence to back up these claims. Unfortunately the likes of Whispers refuse to do their homework and just get their "facts" from the establishment media. Truly sad.

12. whispers

whispers sweet and sour

thats it?............you seam to babble the same shit....please enlight us.

13. Spastic_Monkey

Spastic_Monkey Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

*claps*

14. RevoMystic

RevoMystic Member

It's not my responsibility to enlighten you. Besides, you would resist, rendering my time and energy wasted.

For info concerning the election, voter fraud, and the inauguration, check out www.indymedia.us

15. whispers

whispers sweet and sour

wow dude you really know me.....impressive

16. artful_dodger

artful_dodger Member

whispers, this is an honest question: Are you happy with the current administration and the direction of the country?

If not, what are you doing to change it?

17. whispers

whispers sweet and sour

we are not talking about me .....we are talking about why people who normally do not spend money.....should not spend money on a day....to protest the president.

also we are watching RevoMystic babble..........

18. lyla

lyla Member

As i mentioned a little while back (page 2), it can be looked at as an introspective exercise. But that aside...

While I see what you mean ("we are talking about why people who normally do not spend money.....should not spend money on a day") I see that sort of along the same lines as a walk-out planned in a school, and questioning how effective it is if those who never go to class don't go. Obviously, that doesn't garner a lot of attention, or respect. But if a few people decide to do it CONSCIOUSLY, and talk to their friends about it, spread the word, then if nothing else it can be a means of starting discussions, debates, and such. I was talking about this with friends the other day, and some neat convo definatly sprung up.
    That is where I believe change comes from - discussion, leading to thought, leading to action. Action alone does nothing. Not every discussion will lead to thought, or thought to action, but so long as we are willing to turn SOME of the well thought out ones into the next step, then we're doing good.

19. artful_dodger

artful_dodger Member

Conversations do tend to meander though, don't they?

I wouldn't be so rude as to make assumptions about your situation, but, hypothetically speaking....

... I would find it a bit odd if someone were unhappy with the current situation, but was not doing anything, yet still had room to criticize someone else's form of protest.

20. RevoMystic

RevoMystic Member

thank you dodger.
    I do sometimes say stuff that may be inappropriate, but it's very difficult not to when dealing with such closedminded and condescending ignorance.

Whispers, when you say "also we are watching RevoMystic babble..........", who exactly is "we"? Are you working for some sort of anti-progressive government agency? If not, I suggest you watch how you word things. I already suspect a few "members" here of unconstitutional activity.

With the Orwellian "patriot act", a little paranoia can only be healthy.