20.Jan spend $0 day

Discussion in 'Protest' started by MikeE, Dec 29, 2004.

1. MikeE

MikeE Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

There has been a call to protest the inaguration by buying nothing, spending no money on 20. January. Reject the consumerist president by opting out of spending for 24 hours.

2. TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd Titanic's captain, yo!

We're a consumerist society, it isn't going to happen.

3. MikeE

MikeE Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I'm sure YOU and I can go a day without spending anything. I'm not interested in making everybody do something. That would be futile, frustrating and fascist.
    I'm just spreading the word about a protest. Join us!

4. gertie

gertie Senior Member

people keep trying to organize such a feat.... i don't see it making such a dent, esp when one considers the massive population of the US and the lacking ability to get people informed or to care. but good luck

5. TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd Titanic's captain, yo!

Even if you went to a small country like San Marino it wouldn't happen, people shop and spend when it's convient to them, and besides, if there ever was such a day that looked like it might happen, stores would just put on huge sales to try to lure in people.

6. HonkyTonk

HonkyTonk Member

This has to be the worst idea i have ever heard. Why on god's name would i do that? I am supposed to protest a capitalist president? When we are in a recession? Shouldn't i be buying to maybe help stimulate the economy?

7. splatter

splatter Member

there is currently nothing wrong with the economy this has to be the worst response I have ever heard redneck

8. whispers

whispers sweet and sour

we could all poke at the same time small george bush voodoo dolls ...i think that would get a better response

9. paix

paix Senior Member

good lord, I live in los angeles, and I've never seen so much negativity and skeptisim in one place before!

the man is trying to spread the word about a protest, atleast he's doing SOMETHING to try to make a statment, not sitting around and throwing negativity into cyber space.

what the hell ever happened to "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"? How would all of you feel if you posted something that you believed in only to have a bunch of pesemistic people rip you to shreds?

He's not saying "don't spend anything on january 20th or I'll personally hunt you down and make you listen to GWB's speeches" he's making a suggestion.

Lighten up people, stick up the ass is not an attractive look

10. whispers

whispers sweet and sour

..................ouch

11. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

My daughter's 16th birthday is Janaury 20th, 2005....sorry but she will want to go out, she has already mentioned that she wants her hair cut that day.

12. juicy_redgirl

juicy_redgirl Daphney

What would it do anyway? Lets say a good percentage of people didn't buy anything for one day (24hrs). The next day life continues as usual...what difference does it make?

*I'm not being sarcastic, I would really like to know. It seems that it wouldn't do much...

13. splatter

splatter Member

couldnt have said it better myself

14. green_thumb

green_thumb kill your T.V.

I think it's a good idea. It's a good idea to consume less anyways, but even better to do it as a protest against the scum that now resides in the White House.

15. chaos

chaos Member

good idea! i won't buy anythig that day, or most other days as well...

16. lyla

lyla Member

as i understand BND, the point goes beyond the economic reprocussions (sp?) which, yes, would require a great deal of people participating. If nothing else, it forces you to explore consumerism in yourself. You become aware of your spending habits, and find alternatives. If you aren't changed after the day, so be it. But hopefully your thinking follows a different path (or at least sees the old one differently).

17. RevoMystic

RevoMystic Member

Paix, amen sista! It also can be interpreted as a symbolic gesture without necessarily having to reach any economic goals. Maybe some people observing the protests could take an interest to the morals being expressed. Has anyone ever heard of "Buy Nothing Day" by Adbusters? It's an annual event, even has had "ads" lol on CNN encouraging people to consume less for environmental reasons. www.adbusters.org

Honky Tonk, I would guess that you're a goner, but for all the others out there, like the unfortunate mother raising her daughter to be a loyal shopper with gorgeous hair, I ask you to understand that there's a global anti-consumerist movement in the making. It hasnt' been reported on the U.S. corporate news establishment (I don't think even once) in the almost 10 years of its existence, but it's gained in strength since 1999 and the capitalist elites are FRIGHTENED.

There's an invalueable book called "No Logo" by Naomi Klein which explores this (and alot more), I would suggest to everyone to read it and absorb everything contained within. I understand that it would take time out of your precious SHOPPING to read, but please try and find the time. (sorry, I'm annoyed by the apathy I'm seeing) Thank god for the voices of sanity like lyla, for I dunno what I'd do without them).

18. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

I just checked the calander and noticed that the 20th is a Thursday, so I'll be working that day, and payday won't be until the 21st anyways. I DO NOT raise my kids to be "loyal shoppers", she is the middle child of 7 kids and has never gone somewhere to get her hair done before. Growing up with 7 kids in a house, ya don't go shopping for frivolous stuff very often.

19. We_All_Shine_On

We_All_Shine_On Senior Member

ha paix, that's funny. I'm down for not spending and as an added bonus i suggest you jerks make fun of me for saying "i'm down"

20. artful_dodger

artful_dodger Member

I like this idea.

I don't know how completely I'll be able to participate -- I'll be covering local protests for a couple of publications, and if I need something while I'm in the field, I'm going to choose buying it over losing the story. I feel I make a stronger impact documenting the large-scale and public shows of disdain than through making a small, personal, and private protest.

However, I will happily pledge not to engage in frivilous consumer spending that day.

I participate in Buy Nothing Day every year, this will make a nice complement.