1st BBQ grill ever/give me grilling tips ppl

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Weaveworld, May 27, 2007.

1. Weaveworld

Weaveworld wayward

Umm.. I still need to get a grill brush.. But, I got 2pds of ground beef for tomorrow.

...Well, tell me yer secrets. :bigear:

2. umm...ya

umm...ya over joyed!

If you want burgers I add chopped onion, a little garlic, season salt, one egg, parsley and a dash of Worcestershire sauce.

3. umm...ya

umm...ya over joyed!

oh ya and make sure the grill is nice and hot before you put the food on.

4. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

5. Weaveworld

Weaveworld wayward

Thanks!
    This is lean ground beef.. I just read that ground chuck with like 15% 20% fat in it is the best for grilling...Maybe I'll stick an ice chip in the middle.
    But, I'll be doing chicken n steak and everything else eventually.... Mmmm...shish kebabs, shrimp.. :drool:

Yeah, well..I just never had the space to have a grill before. :nopity:

6. hippiehillbilly

7. Weaveworld

Weaveworld wayward

Meh.

My browser isn't set up to view those. But, I'm sure it's a knee slapper. :)

8. hippiehillbilly

hey man just google whatever ya wanna cook.. theres videos for everything..

to me its the easiest way to learn ..

9. Weaveworld

Weaveworld wayward

Hey, congrats on your sobriety!

10. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

This first trick my Dad ever taught me on the grill was beer......Never hurts allways helps any kinda meat on the grill.

Use the seasonings umm....yea said. But I use a lot of worcestershire sauce.

11. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

How many people are you having? I'm telling you, I had a cook-out this afternoon for my twins' birthday party, and you wouldn't believe how much food we went through. I was surprised! Normally it seems like we have a lot of leftovers when we have a party, but this time, not the case at all. I'm a bit disappointed that there weren't more left over for a meal tomorrow, but oh well, I'm glad everyone ate and enjoyed it.

12. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

Tricks for killer burgers.

(1) make sure them little briquets are all grey
    (2) Soak some alder or applewood chips in water over night.
    (3) put the wet chips in a bit of heavy foil on the coals with but dont seal the chips, let that smoke out.
    (4) add a little Honey BBQ to the meat and mix well toss.
    (5) Toss on the grill and close the lid let that smoke soak in.
    (6) Open then flip burgers, brush with some more Honey BBQ and close lid
    (7) Just before done toss on some real chedder cheese and close lid for 2 minutes and serve.

13. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

double post with misspelling...

14. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

Great-- now I'm craving cheeseburgers... :drool:

15. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

Steaks are another thing. Never over cook or it will dry it out.

Soak the steak in a sweet berry wine
    Pepper and garlic to taste
    again add wet wood chips to the grill but also a metal bowl of water to keep it all moist
    close the lid and let if cook away

Salmon

Oh now here is a kick ass deal
    Soak the salmon in a brown sugar, salt, garlic and pepper solution for atleast 24 hours
    fire up the grill and add your wet chips and toss on the salmon. Let cook for about 30 minutes to 45 mintues

another for salmon

on a sheet of heavy foil add your salmon fillet, add butter, lemon, dill, garlic and 3 strips of honey cured bacon. Clover with foil, close the lid and cook for 2 hours. This shit will fall apart in your mouth.

16. fitzy21

fitzy21 Worst RT Mod EVAH!!!!

don't flip the burgers too soon, let those babies cook for a bit before flipping

i like adding some onion and garlic cloves to mine, just chop them up, fry up for a little bit and mix in with ground beef and seasonings

just experiment with different spices and seasonings and find out what works and doesn't

17. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

i grill vegetarian, but things you won't want to miss to go with your burgers:

marinated veggie kabobs. our family likes eggplant, portobello mushroom, sweet fat cherry tomatoes, red onion chunks, red pepper pieces, zucchini or yellow squash. marinate everything in balsamic vinagrette. soak wooden skewers in water (to keep them from burning) and put the vegetable chunks on these. grill until veggies are tender, basting with the leftover marinade.

this is NOT health food, but marinate tofu cubes in wing sauce (frank's red hot & butter) skewer alternating with pineapple chunks. slather with blue cheese. trust me the sweet/spicy thing is really good.

while you've got the pineapple chunks out, since you eat meat, don't forget the teriyaki beef (or tofu) on a stick, either! skewer marinated beef/chicken/tofu chunks, cherry tomatoes, green pepper and pineapple.

you can make grilled fruit kababs for desert: apples, pears, peaches, for example. skewer, grill, and sprinkle with cinnamon! serve hot over vanilla bean ice cream, maybe with a few raisins and a trickle of maple syrup or honey!

you want a nice bed of coals to cook over, whatever you're making, not flames.

i like to "toast" the metal boxes i use for my sculptures and assemblages on the coals in a charcoal grill. it "ages" the metal, obscures printing, and causes it to rust faster. looks great for the kind of art i make. but of course you'd never want to do this while cooking food!

i acknowledge that most normal people wouldn't want to do this even if they weren't cooking anything. but it is one of my favorite things to do with a charcoal grill.

18. Allonym

Allonym cheesecake slut

make sure you soak the skewers overnight for any kebabs/etc
    make sure whatever your cooking has cooked enough fo ryou to flip it easil y(like fitzy said) - you shouldnt have to struggle to get under the meat ot flip it, it should come fairly easily off the bars if its cooked enough (hopefully at least)

19. Weaveworld

Weaveworld wayward

Thanks everyone, good stuff! :)

20. SunStoned72

SunStoned72 just kidding

this thread is a good read weavy et al!