19yr old daughter doesnt want to get a job

Discussion in 'All in the Family' started by jambo101, May 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Buy Yourself A Bag Of Cement And Harden The Fuck Up...[​IMG].

Cheers Glen.

2. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

I mentioned this but perhaps people didn't know what I was saying.

She sounds like she has some elitist problems. Like somehow working a min. wage job is so beneath her. So it's boring and mindless - unfortunately some of us don't have a choice in boring and mindless. The rest of us have to suck it up to pay the bills - she'd just have to suck it up for a summer.

I tell ya, when she gets into the oil bus she'll be one of 'Them' that those in production or labour will sneer at because with that silver spoon attitude.

If you're headed for a white collar career I think it's extra important to have some low min wage job experience to keep you humble and from being one of those pricks in management or engineering that doesn't have a clue about the real world.

(I'd fix my typos but I just woke from a 24 sickness sleep and don't have enough fucks to give about grammar yet.)

3. jambo101

jambo101 Member

Not sure where you are getting the impression we have money as we live in a row house in one of the poorer sections of town and my wife and i are lucky if we bring in $50K a year combined.
    As For getting a bag of cement to harden up is that what is necessary to participate on this forum?:rolleyes:

4. Manservant Hecubus

Poor kids can be elitist too. I've got friends like that - grew up in the shittiest part of town vowing that they'd never have a min job and do everything to not be like those they grew up around.

Please remember you are on an internet forum. Nobody here really knows you or the girl but you're looking for advice from us so we gotta keep throwing out theories until maybe we hit something on the head.

And yeah, some concrete helps around here. Every thread will have serious answers and funny answers and trolling answers. If you can't learn to deal with that, it may not the best forum for you.

5. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

What a crack up, actually I think there are a few more, most of them are pretty funny. You may have set the record for most number of parody threads.

You really cant see why you sound like such a dick? You said she was an honour student, so probably smarter than most of us, all of her family as well. And is going on the bachelor and masters, in geology, then probably some big paying job in Energy or Mining, so will end up earning more than us. You might have got her a restaurant job, so poor little princess has to spend a summer mingling with the little people, she may even break a nail

And getting her out of the house for the summer is all about imparting your fatherly wisdom and guidance....when you have a wife and two daughters, 3 females, so really you are so whipped and dont have a say in anything

6. jambo101

jambo101 Member

I'm on dozens of forums and am tough enough but when things start getting rude ,disrespectful and just plain ignorant over trivialities its not about being tough enough its about what possible reason do i need to be here,if this forum is just about trolls trolling trolls then i;ve got better things to do and better places to be..

7. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Meh, in real life once you hear the same phrases a couple hundred or a thousand times, from the same type of people, who do end up acting/ reacting in the expected way....

Jung was right there are only a dozen different types, humans are pretty predictible

8. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

I think you are able to answer that question yourself.

If you don't like the interweb then don't use it.

9. Death

Death Grim Reaper Lifetime Supporter

One thing about minimum wage jobs that is a big drawback is that she will undoubtedly meet people that will try to get her to do drugs and other counterproductive activities, potentially crushing any motivation she has. An internship would have much less sketchy people..

just another angle.

10. Manservant Hecubus

If she's Alberta bound, no matter what her degree, there is so much coke and meth at all levels of the oil industry, it's crazy.

11. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

So in other words, she'll meet more guys like the ones here ;)

12. Death

Death Grim Reaper Lifetime Supporter

pretty much..

13. Alternative_Thinker

Alternative_Thinker Darth Mysterious

Okay, that's fine. If that's the case, then I'm happy for her.

If you never did, then it was hard for someone like me to tell, because you mentioned the minimum wage "flipping burgers" idea like repeatedly in your previous posts. Some people suggested internship ideas, and I suggested some other ideas, all of which were just as productive, if not more so, than simply flipping burgers or working at a gas station. Yet, you didn't really give those much thoughts and always went back to the McDonand's/gas station ideas. So, thanks for clarifying. Now I know you weren't being fixated on those jobs.

I don't think you read my posts carefully. I never said she shouldn't work. I merely suggested some ideas that might help her with her upcoming university courses. So some of those things aren't necessarily employment type jobs, so what? Just because they aren't considered "jobs" doesn't mean they won't help shape a person as an individual.

As for your daughter's not doing the summer before the previous summer... Wasn't she still in high school back then, as an honour roll student no less?? That's a lot of work if you ask me. What's wrong with doing nothing during the summer VACATION?? I mean, now you have to WORK during VACATIONS?? Then why are they called VACATIONS?? Am I missing something here?

AND, why do you keep giving off the impression that you have ZERO faith in your younger daughter? You keep implying she'll be a lazy ass EVERY summer, when NO ONE really knows what the future holds. Now, provided that she took the restaurant job eagerly like you said(and I'm willing to take your word for it), then isn't that an indication enough that she is NOT lazy?

Okay then, I'm glad it went well. I'm happy to hear that.

EVERY parent fucks up. My parents fucked up, their parents fucked up, and I will fuck up as a parent. That's just how we humans are. But some of us KNOW when we've fucked up, and we try to correct things because we know we need to. People like RooR, and myself too, said you fucked up because you failed to see all that. Instead, you thought something was wrong with your daughter when she was just being her usual self all along. That was why we said you fucked up as parents. I come from a family where, if a parent fucks up, he/she apologizes to the kid. I don't intend to raise my kids exactly the same way I was raised, but I know I WILL inherit this value.

The short answer is... YES! And the long answer is explained above.

I know I will NOT be pressuring them. In fact, when I was 20 years old, I was not able to work. I was going to school full-time in a foreign country and my visa did not permit me to get employed. It was a legal thing. So I didn't work until I left that country, save for doing some under the table thing that I ACTUALLY WANTED TO DO. My parents were fully aware of the immigration rules, so yes, I was that kid that mooched off his mommy and daddy at the age of 20. Did I turn out badly? I don't think so. At least I was able to pursue the career I've always wanted to afterward, and I'm happy with what I do now work-wise. I don't make much, but at least I'm doing something that means something to me, and for that my parents are happy and supportive still to this day.

So, if my own kids ended up staying at home at that age, then I for one will be happy to have them around. It's their home, too. Instead of pressuring them to get a job, I might even perceive that as a sign that we should start some kind of family business. I'll talk to them, listen to them, and be a part of their lives.

Ahh! And the mystery is solved!! See, the first part I agree 100%. It is parents' responsibility to teach their children many things. Indeed. But the part that is the complete opposite of my belief is the second half. My philosophy has always been that one should be a unique individual before one is a "productive member of society". To be quite honest, I couldn't care less about society and I hate how it turns people into mindless robots by forcing them to conform to its "standards", while dismissing innovative, original, and unique individuals as eccentrics and "unfit to society". I'd much rather my children be raised to appreciate the more important things in life, than to appreciate the concept of employment. A bit of a Matrix reference, but I don't want them to become "batteries". I want them to grow up with the knowledge that being somebody doesn't necessarily mean being loved by society. I want them to understand that being somebody means to have positive impact on people's lives on an individual level. And they'll always have me as a parent to back them up, no matter how old they become.

14. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

His daughter is an adult. She can vote, drink, smoke, sit on a jury, and serve in the military. It doesn't seem unreasonable that she should be responsible for contributing to some of her expenses, especially since her parents don't make a lot money. It is great that your parents could afford to support you while you studied abroad, but that is not reality for most people here.

15. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

yes..drivel is what the random thoughts section is for

16. Meliai

Meliai Banned

LOL I didn't even see some of these.

Damn lazy ass unborn fetus!

Its really nothing personal. We're just bored. I don't even know why your thread in particular has been such a popular parody thread as there is really nothing remarkable about a father wanting his 19 year old to have some work experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.