1990s websites

Discussion in 'Remember When?' started by 6-eyed shaman, Jun 19, 2019.

1. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

When the internet was first born, humanity did not seem to know how to design it properly. Websites were ugly, chaotic, messy, and disorderly. Often littered with animated .gif images that served no purpose. Only fonts available seemed to be Times, Comic Sans, and Arial

See the example below of the official Space Jam movie website below. It has been online since 1996.

Space Jam

Good god man, what were they thinking?

Glad those days of horrid web design are long gone.

2. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Scarecrow13 likes this.
  3. I had an angelfire website.

4. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Css which is the language that handles alot of the presentation of modern websites was just in it's infacy and maybe not even around at the time of that website in the OP. So HTML basically had to handle both the markup of the site and the presentation.

There were also a relatively limited number of fonts and stuff, also loading time was slower and less storage space, so images and what not came at a premium.

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

MSN chat rooms.

6. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

You know what. I kind of like them. I like that Space Jam website.

7. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

All the drop down fancy nonsense that websites are today seems unnecessary. We have much better internet now. If we'd kept it all simple, everything would run so quickly. Maybe that's just me because I live in the middle of nowhere and the internet is sometimes really bad... and gmail won't load, but it'll offer to let me load the html version. and I think... do I even need a newer version, ever? not really.

GLENGLEN and Asmodean like this.
  8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Yeah all that... Flash, Java shit...
    Look I just wanted to look at a few tour dates not a fucken animated webpage that I can't navigate, fellas.

9. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I like it too. It made me feel nostalgic

soulcompromise and Driftrue like this.
  10. lode

lode Banned

Glad the days of horrible website design are gone, the man types into his plum on purple IFrame.

11. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I read the first 10 points on Statement by an E.T. Presently Incarnate and thought that most those points wouldn't seem out of place on Hipforums. Slightly disturbing.

Running Horse likes this.
  12. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Very recognizable, especially on my phone. It could be so perfect but no, lots of unneccesary shit to load.

13. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

The first one I used that had animations was actually the Insane Clown Posse website. Like it was cool but we were still on dial up so it wasn't cool at the same time lol.

I miss the simple websites even like nascar.com

Click race results and BAM there they are, now the results show up with fancy animations and drop down menus and like you can't even select all and paste into word to have a look-see.

Now that internet is better like I guess I don't notice it much anymore, but in all honesty, sometimes it's just easier to go one Facebook to look for concerts, sports results etc. than it is to go to a specifix website.

14. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Do you even remember how slow a 56K modem really was?

15. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I remember that dial up noise
    Rrrrhhhhhhhzzzzrrhhhzzzzrrhrhhhhhrrrrrzzzzzzzzzzzrzrzrzzzzz

Grand prix and Orison like this.
  16. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I remember a lot of "GB get off the goddamn computer, I need to make a call."

Driftrue and Orison like this.
  17. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I remember we had to take the phone line out and I'd be up at all hours having cyber sex with my girlfriend and then mum or dad would pull the plug and I'd be left there.. Alone.. Afraid.. I had no mobile phone to text her.. I always had to tell her if I go off line then my parents pulled the chord but I hated it. I hated just being logged off like that.

Orison likes this.
  18. deleted

deleted Visitor

You got mail.

Grand prix likes this.
  19. Those were the days. I'd be up all night chatting. You could nuke people's computers then, too, shut them down remotely. It was fantastic.

Orison and Irminsul like this.
  20. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Oh man holy nostalgia.