17 and pregnant

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by Peace Attack, Jun 5, 2006.

1. pearlgoesshopping

pearlgoesshopping Member

I hope everything works out well! I understand how scary it can be to tell your parents, but remember that you're about to be a mommy yourself and you need to focus your energy on growing your little one. I look forward to hearing how everything goes! Take good care of yourself.

2. Peace Attack

Peace Attack Make War

I told my mother and she is quite upset but is getting over it. The problem is...insurance. My dad recently lost his job and got a new one with new insurance effective today. but ive been pregnant for a few weeks. I'm not sure if insurance will cover anything because my pregnancy is pre-existing. I don't even know if this company covers pregnancy.

i serched the site and all I found was this: Do pre-existing limitations apply?
    Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts programs do not include pre-existing limitations. There may be a waiting period for some services when a member had no previous coverage. Some employer group plans may vary. Check with your human resources department, or call the Member Service number on the back of your card.

I don't really know what that means.

3. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

If his insurance doesn't cover it, I'm sure you can get government assistance. But if you have not been "diagnosed" as pregnant by a medical professional yet, then it's probably not going to be considered a pre-existing condition.

4. Bumble

Bumble Senior Member

there are welfare insurance programs that are created for pregnant women. You'll be covered until your baby is born. Once your baby is born then you're kicked off of it and your baby goes on "CHIP," which is free health insurance for children. I hope that was helpful. Goodluck!

5. peacelovebarefeet

peacelovebarefeet BuRniN oNe...

There is also WIC (Women Infant Children). Google that and you'll find LOTS of info!

Congrats, man. You're handling it fairly well, it seems. If I was 17 and pregnant, I would be FREAKING out. Hell, I'd be freaking out now! Thank the lord for birth control....:p

6. Sera Michele

Sera Michele Senior Member

Our government does have programs to help insure pregnant women. It may be diffucult to find information, but please start looking into this ASAP so you can get the prenatal care you need. Sometimes paperwork can take time to process (especially when it comes to gov't agencies) and appointments will have to be made, so the earlier start the better.

Good luck and congratulations!!