16g jewelry w/ 14g needle?

Discussion in 'Body Modification' started by Cavale, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Cavale

Cavale Member

All of the piercing parlors in my area charge $50 for an eyebrow piercing which is way too fucking rich for my blood (as is every other motherfucking thing in this area, but that's another post).

I have a friend who is an experienced hobby piercer, he's been piercing himself and others for the past five or six years. The jewelry I have is 16g but his smallest needle is 14g.

If I go ahead with this, is it going to come out fucked up because of the difference in size?

2. stalk

stalk Banned

Doubtfully.

The jewelry is smaller than the hole, so it should just heal around the jewelry if you use some antiseptics to keep it clean.

Hope all is well on the Rainbow trail with you, Cavale.

peace

3. Arnar

Arnar Member

shouldnt hinder the healing process much.
    i got my cartiledge done at a 14 but the jewerly was a curved barbell and kept getting all caught up in my hair ( its like nearly 2ft long) and im cheap and didnt want to buy a ring in 14 and i had one in 16 so im using that and it works fine.
    i switched them a few days after getting peirced aswell

4. Cavale

Cavale Member

Thanks to both of you for the advice.

What kind of jewelry is least likely to get caught on stuff? I have a captive bead ring, but I heard somewhere (I'm really not sure where...) that they get caught on stuff a lot and that a curved barbell was the better choice?

Plus I'm highly allergic to earrings made out of cheap shit, so I'd imagine it'd be the same with other piercings. What's the best hypoallergenic substance they make jewelry out of?

5. stalk

stalk Banned

bones

6. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member

The most appropriate jewelery depends on the type of piercing. I didn't see which piercing you want, so its hard to answer.

Anyway, good hypoallergenic options for piercings:

Surgical Stainless Steel(there is a quality difference, so buy good stuff)
    Titanium
    Gold
    glass

7. toolmaggot

toolmaggot Nuts Go Here.

Yr supposed to pierce with a gauge larger than the jewelry you're installing. If he's as "experienced" as he says he is, he'd know that.

Find yrself some implant-grade titanium. I've never heard of anybody having a reaction to it.

8. Arnar

Arnar Member

personally i really really like captive bead rings.
    the barbells get caught on all kinds of shit in my opinion.
    like hair, clothing, seat belts necklaces

9. MoldyClementine

MoldyClementine Member

Yup. =]
    It seems to heal better, at least in my experience, when the needle is a size bigger. You shouldn't encounter any problems, good luck.

10. Cavale

Cavale Member

Wow. That would be so super fucking sweet.

My cat just died, maybe I could dig her up and get her bones made into jewelry.

He's definitely experienced, I've known him for about a year and in that time I've met lots of people who he's pierced, and they all said it was a great experience. He even gave his girlfriend her VHC.

I hadn't asked him about the needle thing actually, because we live 1200 miles apart and I'm closer to his girlfriend. But thanks for that, I kind of wanted someone to question his experience just so I could argue it, sort of for myself, because I was feeling kind of nervous.

And thanks to everyone for your advice and patience. :D

11. toolmaggot

toolmaggot Nuts Go Here.

Well at any rate, I'm glad I don't have to argue with people on the internet so that I can assure myself that my piercer knows what he's doing.

12. Cavale

Cavale Member

Well, at any rate, I'm glad I'm not a fish.

What's with the negativity?

13. toolmaggot

toolmaggot Nuts Go Here.

In a bottle of noodles, I found a small green fish. He told a fish story, he could grant me any wish.

Sorry, being called a fish [a fish? Really?] Made me think of that song.

I really have no idea what you're talking about.

14. scatteredleaves

scatteredleaves Smelly Hobo

a VCH isnt like a super difficult piercing or anything. id be comfortable doing a VCH on myself if i had the right materials.

anyway, if you feel comfortable with it and he follows proper sterile procedures then give er.
    btw any good piercer will not consider using non-autoclaved mystery jewelry brought by the customer to be proper sterile procedure.
    also, $50 is perfectly reasonable for a piercing. its $60 at the shop i go to. thats $30 for the implant grade internally threaded jewelry (they use BCD), $10 to autoclave and $20 for the piercer and the shop. plus tip.

15. toolmaggot

toolmaggot Nuts Go Here.

I just realized that you have THO in yr sig pic, and it makes me extraordinarily happy.

16. scatteredleaves

scatteredleaves Smelly Hobo

hehe yeah... :D

its not quite as cool as your shirt though.

17. dreadlyyours

dreadlyyours Member

its really not good to pierce with a larger needle and then to put in a smaller ring

when you pierce its with a holllow needle ..and the skin comes out inside the needle so if you go to a smaller ring the healing process will be longer...did it bleed
    ?

18. toolmaggot

toolmaggot Nuts Go Here.

No it doesn't. It cuts a u-shaped hole.

19. dreadlyyours

dreadlyyours Member

whatevershape the hole there are sizes for a reason and its not good to go smaller if its healed already then you can mess around with size but i know alot of people who accidently went down after piercing it and it bled alot

20. toolmaggot

toolmaggot Nuts Go Here.

When I got my lip pierced, I got it done with a 16g piece of jewelry. What size needle did they use? 14g.