12vdc to 12vdc?....

Discussion in 'LED Growing' started by Dahrr, Oct 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dahrr

Dahrr Member

Does anyone know where i can get LED grow lights for a completely off grid grow? I don't want to have to install an inverter and go 12vdc to 110ac to 12vdc...I need 12vdc to 12vdc... anyone?

2. deleted

deleted Visitor

lol I think you made a typo....

If you want to boost 12vdc covert to AC120 you need one of these..
    [​IMG]

strip the cigarette lighter end, place it on a car battery..
    lamps with a high ampere drawl will kill the battery in a few hours.. How you gonna keep it charged?

3. Dahrr

Dahrr Member

No typo....I do NOT need that...I need a straight connect method for 12vdc solar to power 12vdc LED lights without having to make it 110vac.

4. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

I think he means he needs 12 volt DC LIGHTS

if the lights are 12v he wouldnt need any converter at all

5. deleted

deleted Visitor

6. Dahrr

Dahrr Member

I have no idea what those are for or how to use them. My needs are simple. I need 12vdc LED lights that can be powered by 12vdc solar panels WITHOUT having to convert the 12vdc power source to 110vac in order to use them. 12 vdc powered 12vdc lights...

7. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

you will still need batteries and charge controllers

you cant feed directly from the panels...they arent regulated and you'll blow everything

8. Dahrr

Dahrr Member

I have complete solar set up for 1kw batteries included. I have never used LED and i'm moving off grid. I'm selling my HPS/MH setup and switching to LED. If i can find lights that do NOT require 110vac. I will buy whatever i need. I just need someone to help me figure this out. I am running out of time.

9. deleted

deleted Visitor

You cant ^ like bbad says power off a solar panel cause it says 12v. Its not regulated... There in that catalog page is what you are looking for..

the real problem is this isnt mainstream stuff, you cant go to home depot to get it. You could find an electrical supply distributor and they may not have it/ But will be able to get it for you..

10. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

but if he has a 1000 watt system surely theres a controller included in that?

11. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

12. Dahrr

Dahrr Member

I'm sure there is. I am picking my solar system up on Friday.

13. Dahrr

Dahrr Member

14. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

where do you see that?...what i read is that it runs on 12v and uses 13 watts....if you need to power it from 110v you need a 12v power transformer....if you want to run it directly from a 12 volt you dont need the power supply

15. Dahrr

Dahrr Member

Well I emailed the LED vendor here yesterday but nothing back from them yet.

16. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

If it's unregulated, just find a 12V Zener diode to eliminate excessive voltages.

Radio Shack used to publish an excellent set of basic how-to electronics manuals which covered electronics devices and how they work / how to use them, might still, havent been to a radio shack in a while so not too sure, but check their website. And Radio shack still sells components and blank / pre drilled pc boards too

17. leebee77

leebee77 Member

If he is off grid then he will have a controller and batteries to store the extra power from the panels or he will have to burn off the excess. Just hook the 12v lights to the battery.

18. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

Or just find LED's with a wider range of active voltage like 12 to 24 Vdc, have to check the spec. sheet for tolerances.

19. Dahrr

Dahrr Member

Thanks for all the replies. I have been off grid for the last month. I will look into this more.

20. pypes

pypes Hot alien babes

Running LED's off 12vdc would eliminate the need for sillymode balasts and you could just use resistors without needing to dissipate much power through them, it would be pretty easy to roll your own. As for straight 12v battery bank DC to 12v nice regulated DC id just build something out of a couple of voltage regulators, they cost like $1 each and only have three pins to worry about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.