1080TI Card

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Irminsul, Jun 14, 2018.

1. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

The guy talks so fast nonstop its easy to miss, but the video is misleading. If you notice he compares the chip to an 7700k, which is the best gaming chip on the market today that people are actually willing to pay for, and is twice as fast as the AMD chip. Its over a hundred dollars more just for the chip, while the Intel motherboard for it also costs significantly more to buy. When he compares it to a modern AMD gaming chip, it performs at much more comparable rate.

Even so, the video is right in that these are not gaming chips, but chips that were designed for industry uses. AMD knew when they made them that could not compete with Intel for gaming and, being a much smaller company, they focused more on the business applications. Which was all good and well until they fell so far behind Intel that they were about to go bankrupt, which is when they produced their wildly successful ryzen chips, which are really the first competitive chips from the company in over a decade.

Your chip is fast enough for decent 1080p gaming, but racing is all about fps, and neither your motherboard nor your cooler are up to overlocking the chip enough to produce great frame rates. With liquid cooling, and a great motherboard, you could increase the frame rates significantly, but a better investment would be a new chip and motherboard. The internet going out is just plain weird, and I would double check all the connections on your motherboard.

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

my friends have given me a shopping list for my upgrade lol. I'll see what I can save for end of month around my birthday. :p

3. wooleeheron

The newest AMD ryzen chips are looking too good to pass up. Even the cheaper ones are better than what you have, the mobos are cheap, and the processor comes with its own decent cooler. You would probably need 8gb of ram for it as well, but 16gb would be better. Or you could just replace the processor you have and keep everything else, but you're never going to get great single core performance using that mobo. For about a hundred bucks, you could water cool your current processor and maybe get five or ten more fps, but the newer mobos will be backwards compatible for the next ten years, including for the Zen 2 and 3 processors.

The only bad thing about it, is that the next generation consoles are going to be almost as powerful as computer capable of serious video gaming, including real time ray tracing. That's about half the cost of what PC will cost, but its also guaranteed to be slightly lower resolution and not capable of running the latest and greatest PC bells and whistles. It will do Forza justice, but with a PC you should be able to make Forza sparkle beyond your wildest dreams.

The fight for better graphics is about to become history to a great extent over the next decade. It will all migrate to ray traced geometry which requires outrageous computing power, but is the only way to go for efficiency the more detail they keep adding. The AI is the next frontier for video games, and that one is going to get really weird.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  4. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I haven't encountered a huge problem this last week, even running post Scriptum on high and it's handling very well. :)

5. wooleeheron

That suggests the driver and program needed to play with the game a little to adjust everything to your particular computer. PCs all being different, is why we have so many bugs and everything else. These days, computer programming code and hardware is such a byzantine disaster its literally humanly inconceivable. Between your processor and gpu alone, for example, your computer has maybe 15 billion parts, that can all be replaced by about 1,400 if they only worked faster. It is that much cheaper to cram all that crap on a chip, and correct everything for errors.

Irminsul likes this.
  6. wooleeheron

Electricity is just slow, and like using a Rube Goldberg device, simply because that is what's cheaper to do than speeding up the electricity right now or using light or whatever. Your processor works so fast, it would radiate into space if connected directly to your motherboard, and your computer batch processes everything. Now they are shoving small industrial "work station" computers onto a single cheap cheap for VR, AI, and ray tracing. But, its also enough power to run almost any small or even medium business in the country. They just stack the chips or connect the corners or do some other weirdness that's cheap.

Intel dominated the market, by always being four years ahead of the competition, in patenting the best cheap fabrication techniques. They spent more on research alone than AMD makes. Anything to do with processors and interconnects, while graphics are something they struggle with because nobody can cover every kind of chip, and graphics cards are more analog technology that Intel is only now beginning to master using their brute force "good enough" engineering approach that has always made them the most money. However, by all accounts, they now need to pull a rabbit out of a hat, because their 10nm process has been delayed for way too long and they are facing one disaster after another with security breaches. I guess you could say it turned out "Intel was not good enough" after all.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    Irminsul likes this.