1080TI Card

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Irminsul, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Problem with my internet is it isn't great where I live and WiFi is basically the best I can do for now which I know, sucks for gaming but it's the best I can do for now.

I have a cheap WiFi adapter card in my computer with the 2 antlers but I also bought a nighthawk netgear WiFi usb port with the cars in case the card was too big and I couldn't use my current adapter. This usb one is meant to be bees knees and has 4 antlers internal so I'll connect that today and see if it's any better.

I'm actually looking into satellite WiFi, they came checked my roof yesterday and all good, line of site to their tower was good, people in my small town who have it say it's pretty darn good for what it is so I hope so too. Right now I just tether off my mobile phone, which is also always using a VPN across the world so that probably doesn't help either lol.

2. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

For internet gaming, its supposedly all about "ping" time and both your router and ISP can make a huge difference, especially if you don't have a lot of choices.

Irminsul likes this.
  3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

So I'm not particularly impressed by my performance still. I'm going to try and overclock my PC slightly. I've never done this but I always read about it. Not going to go nuts, maybe just 1mgh and then check my temps, see if I can't get any more out of it. I did have my power setting to "balanced" which I have now changed to "high performance" not sure of that will make any difference or not, I just read that it should be set to that.

But barring this all fails, what is my next step to improvement? I have the card. Is it CPU speed I need? I'm on 3.5 turbo to 4.0ghz or whatever it is. Or is it the motherboard?

So I want to try and overclock to 4.1, I know this increases temps and power so I won't go too far I just always seem to have this luck with computers and I'm starting to realise, maybe I just don't know what I'm doing when I purchase these things. :( a rookie mistake I've made several times.

I read "gaming PC" and just automatically assume it's fine.

4. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

What exactly do you have? Mobo model, CPU, RAM type... we know your GPU. You can expect maybe 10% performance boost at best and cooling needs to done right and monitored. When I had my GTX I used a program called Precision X, by EVGA, to overclock. You can google overclocking your models and see what speeds people are generally getting at. GTX1080ti for instance seems to be maxing out at or near 2Ghz for most people.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

AMD 8 core 8320 3.5-4.0 turbo
    24 gig RAM (16 available) I don't get what that even means? I have 24 but it says 16 available.
    750w power supply

Well I was thinking of no overclocking the GPU because theoretically it should have more than enough power, that's what I'm thinking of overclocking the CPU a weeny bit.

6. wooleeheron

AMD chips are made for overclocking and that processor is definitely too slow for gaming without overclocking. The Phenoms were never the best chips for gaming even when overclocked, but that means overclocking it now will hopefully make a big difference. Frame rates, especially for a racing game, require faster single core performance with six cores being about ideal for gaming.

7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

So what do I need to do? :)

8. wooleeheron

The processor needs to be overclock and you might want to blow any dust out of the cooler. AMD probably has software that can overclock it automatically but, if not, then you will have to change the bios settings. I'd try the software overclock first, since you've never done it before and the programs usually do a good job.

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

So the AS Rock extreme tuning utility?
    This is what mine looks like atm without doing anything or changing anything.

ASRockPhoto.jpg

10. wooleeheron

AsRock isn't famous for their programs, and I would see if AMD has something better, but that's the idea. You need to look up the settings online for the specific processor and you will probably even be able to find videos of people overclocking them. Just like anything else you might try for the first time, don't get carried away and fry your processor, just start slow and tweak it higher and settle for whatever works. The voltages are the thing to make sure you don't go overboard on, but that processor might even be new enough that its practically impossible to kill it. All the newest chips, will always just shut down the minute you try to make them do more than they can handle, but that one probably requires you to be careful with the voltage. Not too hot, not too cold, but just right. Especially with that AsRock mobo, because its not gonna be a great overclocker, and I have no idea what kind of cooler you have, but without liquid cooling, you can forget about seeing a night and day difference, just enough to hopefully make you happy. :)

But, the increased noise might bother you and its best to just use the overclock settings when playing games.

11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Thanks.

So in the picture I sent it has the CPU frequency at 200mhz, is this the slider I am using to over clock? And if so, how much increments should I try?

Or if you can point me in the right direction of what sliders I'm meant to be using that'll be great. I am researching youtube and I've watched a few times wasting videos already that told me nothing lol.

12. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

The multiplier is usually what you want to change. So you must be at 3.7Ghz (200X18.5)? Keep bumping the multiplier up, I would go right to 20X because it should do 4Ghz no problem. 22X is probably going to be your max. The base frequencies will effect your data buses and RAM, you can try going up 5-10% maximum. Oh, if it fails to boot then reset your BIOS.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    Irminsul likes this.
  13. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Thank you, I will give that a go. It should easily do 4ghz no problem because that's what it says it can do. :) thanks for the help and input so far, I really appreciate it. :)

14. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I tried a few things but every time I increment the sliders it seems to effect my internet connection. So I'm just going to have to put up with how it is for now and turn some shadows off. Seems the dynamic shadows that move with the cars has the biggest effect of FPS. I was doing a little testing and. Tbh, I don't even look at that stuff when racing so I will turn it off but on replay mode I can have them on as framed don't matter as much.

15. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

Even the multiplier affected internet? I can see PCIE frequency effecting your internet but the multiplier shouldn't effect anything but the CPU itself. Yeah, I don't need that fancy graphics for my games. I'm fine with 720p gaming and low quality textures and shadows. I see people with high end machines turn shadows off anyway, because it's easier to see enemies in shooters with all the fancy graphics turned off.

16. wooleeheron

Dynamic shadows normally require the biggest hit in performance for any game. How it could be effecting your internet is impossible to say, because that's just plain weird.

17. lode

lode Banned

I'm sorry, but you're probably not going to stretch too much more out of your 2000 and late processor.

18. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Yeahhh. Ah well. I know for future.

19. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

I while back I had an AMD A12-9700 AM4 board with DDR4. I sold it pretty quick because it supported Ryzen and I got a decent profit. I wasn't impressed with it's speed at all when I tested it. Even a 3rd Gen i5 seemed more snappy.

20. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

see that's where I just don't know. I bought a "gaming machine" so I'm kinda pissed off they even sold it to me that way. But like I said that's my ignorance. I read "turbo" and thought well that should be good. lol.
    And I thought I was doing the right thing by upgrading my power and RAM for the future, but it's the processor that's blahh. I won't ebay them ever again.

On the plus side i have the card, power and RAM. :p now I just need the rest lol.If I go into a shop I know I will pay more but I don't think they will appreciate if I buy all my stuff on;ine for cheaper and then get them to install, so, I think, I'll buy the tower, CPU and motherboard from them and then that should make them happy enough to rebuilt it for me. :)