1080TI Card

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Irminsul, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Only way I could get a xbox controller to work for FPS was in games where if your cross-hairs were near the target it would auto target like a magnet. Games like splinter cell and things I was so slow at shooting. Practice probably does make it better, but I find it much easier to click and point with a mouse and to lead targets and not that games are using bullet drop and target leading I just personally find it easier to use the mouse.

Also another advantage for me personally in PC gaming is I don't have the missus barking at me that I'm taking over the main TV. :p because she already furious I take the TV for sport and then play sports games on it too. :D

2. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

You should never buy electronics for what you might be doing in 5 years. In 5 years your expensive 500 watt PC will be a dusty tired beast. It will probably be running on par with new 7nm APU mid-range systems. That will be sleek and using 1/4 the power draw. If you're not happy with anything but the best frame rates now then your not going to be happy with mid-range performance in 5 years, so you'll be wanting to upgrade again anyway.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  3. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I understand the individual words in this thread, but I have no clue what any of you are talking about.

eggsprog likes this.
  4. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Luckily I already built my pc in mind to counter this. I have 24gig of ram, most people have 8 or 12, so I knew I'd need more for long run. Got 24. The power 500W? No. I got 750W knowing I'd have more powerful card at some point. Now I'm getting the card. If I didn't build for the future I wouldn't be getting a card, I'd be getting a whole new computer.

Im glad I chose to do things the way I did. :)

5. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

People upgrading and building computers often forget that nothing is stronger than the weakest link.
    Everything focuses around the motherboard and it's parameters.
    The most common mistake is adding more RAM than the motherboard supports. This is not only a complete waste of money, but causes untold problems.
    The weakest link will always be the hard drive. Bigger is better for offices and banks, but they slow everything down on a home machine. Storing games also slows everything down. It is better to delete any not in current use, they are easy to reinstall if necessary.
    Solid state hard drives are a huge step forward, but quality is essential and mixing them can cause problems. It is essential that the motherboard can support them. It MUST be configured to AHCI (advanced host controller interface) when they are installed.
    Graphics cards are so often snookered by other shortcomings in the system. They are rarely the weakest link. Keeping them cool is essential, but again the whole cabinet cooling needs to be considered and the the airflow kept in one direction and from bottom to top with the natural convection. Moving the heat source is an expensive waste of money and still needs fans to cool the radiator.
    Correct overall design, location and regular cleaning is vital. Cabinets need to be opened up and properly cleaned at least twice a year.
    Many graphics cards cannot draw enough current from the PCI express slots and require additional power cables.
    The main power supply must have that current available, or the card will malfunction as it drags the supply voltage down. It may even burn out the PSU module.

Sorry to sound so negative, but so many people waste a fortune on cards that their computer cannot support.

Although I have designed and built many industrial computer systems, I have never played a computer game in my entire life.
    I always remember the television interview with the guy who designed the Ferrari engines that won all the formula 1 races a few years ago.
    When the interviewer asked him what it was like to drive the cars, he shrugged his shoulders and replied. "I don't have a driving licence, I live near the factory and come to work on a pushbike". It was one of the funniest moments of television that I have ever seen.

6. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

For only $3,000.oo you can have the real deal! A Titan V!

If a 1080ti isn't good enough, its time to give up PC gaming. :)

If anyone is interested, the Steam hardware forums are moderated and have great advice for how to build a computer at home in roughly a day.

7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

That's 1800$ more than I'm about to spend. No deal. :p

8. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

upgrading in 5 years?....isn't that about how long any technology lasts these days?...or possibly eve less than that?......I dont think money for upgrades is a consideration in this case.....she has one hell of a paper route :)

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Most of other computer lasted that if not longer with just a cars upgrade which I've learned to do myself now. I'm a bit, anxious about this card though because it's much bigger and I don't want to ruin it lol. I'll have to YouTube. Hoping it just slots in like they used to. I've been steadily saving up this and now I've got the funds.

10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Just bought it. :D
    Now hope it gets to me by the weekend. Probably not being in the sticks.

11. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

My last pc lasted 8 years! But yeah, that doesn't mean it was up par in the end, or that i even had the possibility in the last few years to upgrade it to current standards. For pc gaming or other heavy use 5 years or so really seems to be the max.

Wilsjane makes some good points.

12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Look what just showed up at my door!! :D
    Now I either need to gain the confidence to do this myself.. Or flirt with an IT boy to do it all for me. :p

20180625_111739.jpg

13. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

Don't forget to blow on the edge connector like a Nintendo game cartridge.

14. wooleeheron

Ooooh, shiny! A Strix no less! That's a pretty big card, so you must have at least a mid-tower.

15. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Well, when I pulled it out I went holy shit this is big and then I put it up against my case and my heart sunk. I was about to start cutting the case apart to fit it in. Luckily miss wife had a look see and we measured and it did fit we just didn't know how to get it in the case. So with a little work we managed to edge it in slowly and it was in. Then the power cord wouldn't reach and it had an extra 8 little bits that I didn't have. My heart sinks again because I needed to use computer in 30mins.

Out of nowhere I went through a shoebox of computer stuff and holy shit I found the exact cord I needed. And it was long. So plugged that in, started up, installed drivers and done. :)

IRacing customised itself to pretty much full Max and I was pulling high 50s - 90 FPS which was what I was getting before, but on the lowest settings. I have yet to customise or optimise anything but I'm pretty happy with it so far. That day I ran 2hrs of racing and it ran at 54*C with no fan support but you see my old card did that too and I cooked it I feel, so I turned the fans on to 40% and the card ran at a cool 27* I was very happy with this. :)

McFuddy likes this.
  16. wooleeheron

Nothing is gonna beat Forza for benchmarking the graphics for auto racing, for which that graphics card is total overkill, but that means higher frame rates for the ultimate experience. Personally, I like arcade style off-road mountain and forest kind of racing, not being quite the adrenalin junkie I was as a teenager and enjoying the scenery.

17. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Yeah iRacing doesnt have the best graphics but it chews the card and system with all this tricky shit nobody should actually have to worry about when racing. Such as moving crowds in a grandstand. This was a recent edition and I straight away said yay, more FPS kill. And seriously who really cares about moving crowds? You don't see that shit at all, period, ever.

18. wooleeheron

I have a confession to make, I play the old id game "Rage" all the time. It sucks in a lot of ways, but the graphics engine is fascinating and was designed with next generation ray tracing in mind. It uses "megatextures" it can stream like a movie, with all the lighting already baked in, so the sky never changes, but its good lighting. Such engines are designed with speed in mind, so you can turn on a dime and see what you're shooting at or whatever, but its the sheer amount of detail that they can add to a scene these days that makes all the difference. Soon enough, racing games will have realistic looking crowds, because the technology is constantly getting cheaper and working its way down the video game developer food chain, with the use of motion capture about to explode on the scene.

What's coming next for racing is real time ray traced lighting, but its likely to take a few years before they get it right. Still, the windshield will look like real glass, the mirrors can look like real mirrors, chrome can look like real chrome, and the number of optical effects you can add just boggle the imagination. If you've ever played Rage, the entire game is filled with chromatic aberrations and different things that all simulate what Hollywood might want for a movie, because they are special effects that don't exist outside of the camera, but we all take for granted these days.

19. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I was a bit disappointed tonight my frames were not good in fact my other setup and card produced better results. I fiddled with a few settings in the nvidea control panel which seemed at least, on iRacing reply, cleared the image with a considerable FPS increase but that was only on a replay not online which I've been told that depending on internet and even someone else's internet connection can actually have an effect on another persons FPS?

Anyway hope these settings are as good as the replay mode.

20. wooleeheron

For cloud gaming, you want to be close to the nearest internet node, so you get the best response times. That's part of the reason the cloud has not taken off faster, is because to leverage the cloud the best requires it really be everywhere and can hook up people in the local area for faster response times in things like gaming. Microsoft has declared their intention to become the Amazon of online and cloud gaming, but Microsoft says a lot of things. Meanwhile, Amazon and others are already working in this direction. Bethesda has perhaps the best cloud gaming system, Liquid Sky, which they have integrated into the gaming engines and worked with AMD on to perfect the system. Its free to use with your own games, and what all these developers worked out was how to reduce latencies and increase throughput for next generation computers. Processors are just not really getting much faster, while high speed memory and AI are where the biggest gains are to be had.

I would check your video card drivers and bios settings, and make sure to disable anything running in the background.